Needing a New Gun Safe

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Needing a New Gun Safe

Post by anygunanywhere »

I have a great big safe in a secure location to store my pretties. I’m needing a small safe or cabinet to keep my select ones in here at the house. Mrs Anygunanywhere and I live in an 55+ community. The house is smallish but we do have some room. I’m mainly interested in something that I can keep my serious apocalypse type stuff in and want to access it quickly. I keep my EDC and home defense stuff handy so it isn’t needed for that. How are the biometric locks?

I’m not really concerned about the recent issues of the backdoor keys. I only need room for 4-6 long guns and mags.

I’m gonna bolt it to the wall.

What say you?

TIA!
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Needing a New Gun Safe

Post by Grayling813 »

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=102701&hilit=Biometric

Recent thread on a biometric safe fail.

FastCarry

Post by FastCarry »

anygunanywhere wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:56 pm I have a great big safe in a secure location to store my pretties. I’m needing a small safe or cabinet to keep my select ones in here at the house. Mrs Anygunanywhere and I live in an 55+ community. The house is smallish but we do have some room. I’m mainly interested in something that I can keep my serious apocalypse type stuff in and want to access it quickly. I keep my EDC and home defense stuff handy so it isn’t needed for that. How are the biometric locks?

I’m not really concerned about the recent issues of the backdoor keys. I only need room for 4-6 long guns and mags.

I’m gonna bolt it to the wall.

What say you?

TIA!
Depending on what lvl security you need and if it needs to be fire proof or not but im really happy with my secureit agile safes. Being that I live in an older house with with wood floors and a crawlspace, and narrow doors and passage ways i needed something lighter weight and modular. They are really great, a lot of different accessories to arrange the contents in so many ways. Pricey, but they fit exactly what I needed.

Topic author
anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

Grayling813 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:15 pm viewtopic.php?f=23&t=102701&hilit=Biometric

Recent thread on a biometric safe fail.
Thanks. I saw that. I would like to hear from other folks about their experiences.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I had a Voultek with biometric lock and decided to sell it a few years ago. Being in the A/C business I would develop cuts and scars on my fingers. The Biometrics would not unlock due to the changes. As long as I had no cuts, it worked fine but if a cut would scar over, I would have to reset it.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Biometrics have lots of issues. You don"t want to try to troubleshoot those at 2:00 AM just after you've heard glass shattering.

Electronic code locks work well. Keeping a small LED light at the safe makes using them easier in the dark.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Excaliber wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:02 am Biometrics have lots of issues. You don"t want to try to troubleshoot those at 2:00 AM just after you've heard glass shattering.

Electronic code locks work well. Keeping a small LED light at the safe makes using them easier in the dark.
What Excaliber said. My primary safe is in the master bedroom closet. The closet is "L" shaped with the back running underneath the staircase, so about half of that part of the "L" has no clothes bars or shelving (here I am needlessly explaining how I got away with using up closet space, but it's a shared closet). The safe is mounted at the end of the clothes bar, so taking up storage space but not hanging space.

Anyway, the overhead lights run only along the other, longer, front part of the "L". So what I did after living with a darkened safe for a few months was buy an LED lamp that had a tactile touch on/off plus a dimmer control. Mounted that on top of the safe and it has a pivoting arm so that I can swing the lamp back out of the way or over the front of the safe. It also has a dimmer control; I don't need a lot of light there, so I keep it set to low lumens. There's a light inside the safe but that doesn't help until the door is open.

Made a really big difference. All I have to do is touch the base of the light and the lamp switches on or off. I can easily see the front of the safe (and the ammo cans stored up under the slope of the staircase), and the small light swivels out of the way once I'm in the safe and working with its internal light. Speed of access is slowed only by a quick touch at the base of the lamp.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”