My Bank Account Hates it When New Guns are Announced

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Rafe
Posts in topic: 3

My Bank Account Hates it When New Guns are Announced

Post by Rafe »

My danged wishlist is already too long. :shock: But I remain an aficionado of the 1911, and Springfield recently sprang this on us:
Springfield Armory® is proud to announce six new models to the most well-known and celebrated family of 1911’s in the lineup. The TRP™ series offers fully featured platforms specifically designed and built for demanding 1911 enthusiasts. Drawing inspiration from the Springfield Armory Professional 1911 utilized by the FBI’s Hostage Rescue Team, TRP pistols undergo meticulous hand fitting for both form and function.
And...now I want a 4.25" barrel version. :???:

Link to the TRP page at Springfield's website: https://www.springfield-armory.com/1911 ... -handguns/

A short YouTube video from Springfield about the TRP line posted a few weeks ago:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

JRG
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My Bank Account Hates it When New Guns are Announced

Post by JRG »

Thanks for sharing. If I was a 1911 guy, I would definitely need one of these TRP's. I'm liking the FDE carry model.

Joe

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

That's supermodel sexy... ;-)
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

OOOOH me likes that. Mrs. RPBrown, Fathers day is coming up hint hint :drool:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Rafe

Post by Rafe »

My ridiculously long wishlist has had a Wilson Tactical Supergrade on it for, well, a very long time. But it's not likely that I'll ever plop down the $5,700 for one...unless I win the lotto. Just not in the financial bracket where I can spend that much on a carry gun.

But I've had three Springer 1911s and they all ran well. The one I still have is a Range Officer Operator. Never understood why they discontinued that line. It seemed like a good compromise between custom shop prices and mil-spec; I think I paid just under $1,000 for mine. But it isn't really tweaked for carry, doesn't have a bobbed grip and no flared mag well; that could be easily added but it would also extend the length of the grip a bit.

Ambidextrous safeties are pretty ubiquitous on high-end 1911s but, with apologies to TAM, as a righty I've never really liked 'em on a carry pistol. I'd rather have only the one safety and not one on the outside of the gun when holstered. But the new TRPs at least don't look like they have a honkin' big ambi safety.

The other thing I'll need to hold a TRP to decide if I'd keep would be the VZ Grips Hydra grip panels. They look cool, but that cutout or bevel for the thumb at the mag release may be too extreme for me. I use a thumbs-up grip and that cutout might feel odd or reduce contact surface for the left hand. I've had a 1911 with a modest cutout like that and it was no problem, so I guess I'll just have to find a TRP 4.25" CC and see how it feels. Grips are an easy change-out, though. The gun also doesn't have much of a mag well, but at least there's a little bit of flare there; would want to feel how the magazine seats, as well.

And, yeah; I'm more and more talking myself into maybe pulling out the plastic and getting one. :???:

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

Rafe wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:39 am My ridiculously long wishlist has had a Wilson Tactical Supergrade on it for, well, a very long time. But it's not likely that I'll ever plop down the $5,700 for one...unless I win the lotto. Just not in the financial bracket where I can spend that much on a carry gun.

But I've had three Springer 1911s and they all ran well. The one I still have is a Range Officer Operator. Never understood why they discontinued that line. It seemed like a good compromise between custom shop prices and mil-spec; I think I paid just under $1,000 for mine. But it isn't really tweaked for carry, doesn't have a bobbed grip and no flared mag well; that could be easily added but it would also extend the length of the grip a bit.

Ambidextrous safeties are pretty ubiquitous on high-end 1911s but, with apologies to TAM, as a righty I've never really liked 'em on a carry pistol. I'd rather have only the one safety and not one on the outside of the gun when holstered. But the new TRPs at least don't look like they have a honkin' big ambi safety.

The other thing I'll need to hold a TRP to decide if I'd keep would be the VZ Grips Hydra grip panels. They look cool, but that cutout or bevel for the thumb at the mag release may be too extreme for me. I use a thumbs-up grip and that cutout might feel odd or reduce contact surface for the left hand. I've had a 1911 with a modest cutout like that and it was no problem, so I guess I'll just have to find a TRP 4.25" CC and see how it feels. Grips are an easy change-out, though. The gun also doesn't have much of a mag well, but at least there's a little bit of flare there; would want to feel how the magazine seats, as well.

And, yeah; I'm more and more talking myself into maybe pulling out the plastic and getting one. :???:
Don't ever look at or handle a Fusion Firearms pistol or your bank account might just collapse. Very nice pistols with lots of good features at a very good price. I have 4 and number 5 is on the way in a little different build. Bantam in the 357 Sig caliber for edc.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

I don’t have a 1911 in FDE yet or one with a 4.25” barrel. 🤔
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

I don’t have a 1911 in FDE yet or one with a 4.25” barrel. 🤔
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Sidro wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:06 am Don't ever look at or handle a Fusion Firearms pistol or your bank account might just collapse. Very nice pistols with lots of good features at a very good price. I have 4 and number 5 is on the way in a little different build. Bantam in the 357 Sig caliber for edc.
I've never shot a Fusion. I have, unfortunately, shot a Wilson Supergrade and a Nighthawk Custom Agent II. That Nighthawk model, at around $5,200, is still over $3,000 away from their most expensive 1911s...which come in at around 9 grand. :shock:

If I were Elon Musk rich it wouldn't matter. But ain't never gonna happen for me.

You're right, though. If you do run into the proud owner of a truly top-end 1911, do not be tempted to shoot it. It's kinda like somebody letting you take their Ferrari for a quick spin, and then driving home in your Toyota Corolla.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”