Kimber Eclipse Ultra II

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Bubba
Posts in topic: 2

Kimber Eclipse Ultra II

Post by Bubba »

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with this gun ?
I want one and am looking for comments, either way.

Thanks,
Bubba

dws1117
Posts in topic: 4

Post by dws1117 »

I have the Ultra Carry II, not the Eclipse version.

A friend has the Ecplise version and we have shot both side by side. Aside from a few cosmetic differences, neither of us could tell any significant differences in performance or handling. The Eclipse is heavier due to it having a steel frame versus the aluminum frame of the ultra carry. Recoil didn't seem any different. It is a very nice gun.

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 6

Post by HighVelocity »

I have the Ultra CDP which is also a 3" KImber. It's a great gun, shoots accurately, 100% reliable and gobbles up all ammo without a hiccup.

Make sure, of you buy the Eclipse Ultra, that it has an INTERNAL extractor. DO NOT buy one with an EXTERNAL extractor.

Internal = Good, External = Bad.

ElGato
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ElGato »

Just got a SS Ultra yesterdayand haven't tried it yet, If it's as good as my Pro-Carry I'll like it.

Tomcat
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

HighVelocity wrote: Internal = Good, External = Bad.
Thats interesting. Do you base that on personal experience?

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

My personal experience was with a stainless ultra carry. Kimber worked on it twice and never got it right.
If you go to 1911forum.com and do a search for Kimber Extractor you'll find more than you can read about the internal vs external extractors.
In more recent threads you'll see that Kimber is now replacing the slides on guns that come in with external extractrs and FTE problems with internal extractor versions.
Kimber has also pulled all references to their "tactical" external extractor off the their website.

Besides, if an external extractor was better, JMB would've designed it that way in the beginning. :wink:

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

My Ultra Carry has the external extractor. while I was leary at first going by internet reports, it have been flawless. As a matter of fact, I've had no failures of any kind in over 1000 rnds.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

HighVelocity wrote:My personal experience was with a stainless ultra carry. Kimber worked on it twice and never got it right.
If you go to 1911forum.com and do a search for Kimber Extractor you'll find more than you can read about the internal vs external extractors.
In more recent threads you'll see that Kimber is now replacing the slides on guns that come in with external extractrs and FTE problems with internal extractor versions.
Kimber has also pulled all references to their "tactical" external extractor off the their website.
I see. I am the training director at a range in Dallas, and I see quite a few Kimber external extractors. My personal experience is different from those internet stories.

I just now copy and pasted this directly from the Kimber Website The new Kimber Tactical Extractor is another standard feature. Extremely reliable under even the toughest field conditions, it is a logical addition for a pistol that might receive infrequent cleaning. It never needs adjusting and works equally well with light practice loads or heavy carry ammunition.

My point is that the internet is full of fact and fiction. Culling the fact from the bull can be tough, but it seems in this case
is fiction.

We are also a Kimber Master Dealer, and I can tell you that Kimber is not
replacing the slides on guns that come in with external extractrs and FTE problems with internal extractor versions.
I am not accusing you of intentionally spreading bad info, just mistakenly.

;)

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

edit: I found the reference to the tactical external extractor here: http://www.kimberamerica.com/tactical.php on a particular gun, however on all the Ultras (except the tactical ultra), Eclipse Ultra, CDP Ultra, Ultra carry models, the do not refer to an external extractor and all the pictures show internal models.

As far as them not replacing slides with internal versions if that's not true it means a lot of folks are lying on 1911forum.
Last edited by HighVelocity on Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Also, regarding the extremely reliable statement. Mine was anything but reliable. I could not get through a 50 round box of ammo without half a dozen failures. I really wanted to like that gun too.

RatMan
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Kimber Eclipse Ultra II

Post by RatMan »

Bubba wrote:Does anyone have any firsthand experience with this gun ?
I want one and am looking for comments, either way.
You know my viewpoint... Buy a Springfield and save the money you will be spending on a "name" for extra ammo.... I'll put my SA micro side by side to any production Kimber.... Of course, YMMV.... :)
XD9 SC
Para C7.45
CZ RAMI
SA Champion 1911
SA Micro Compact 1911
S&W 1911
S&W Model 60 .357Mag
Taurus Model 415 .41mag
Taurus Model 617TBC .357mag
Taurus .45 Millennium Pro
Taurus .380 Millennium
American Derringer .45ACP

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

RatMan wrote: You know my viewpoint... Buy a Springfield and save the money you will be spending on a "name" for extra ammo.... I'll put my SA micro side by side to any production Kimber.... Of course, YMMV.... :)
Which SA micro do you have? We should have a shoot-off. Your SA Micro vs my Ultra CDP. :lol:

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Isn't it great that there are so many guns to choose from?

RatMan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RatMan »

HighVelocity wrote:
RatMan wrote: You know my viewpoint... Buy a Springfield and save the money you will be spending on a "name" for extra ammo.... I'll put my SA micro side by side to any production Kimber.... Of course, YMMV.... :)
Which SA micro do you have? We should have a shoot-off. Your SA Micro vs my Ultra CDP. :lol:
The "Ultra CDP", is not what I consider to be a "production" gun. Mine is a plain-jane production solid steel micro. The model is, PX9808L.

Besides, with my health right now taking chemo, I'd be hard pressed to hit repeating shots... :(
XD9 SC
Para C7.45
CZ RAMI
SA Champion 1911
SA Micro Compact 1911
S&W 1911
S&W Model 60 .357Mag
Taurus Model 415 .41mag
Taurus Model 617TBC .357mag
Taurus .45 Millennium Pro
Taurus .380 Millennium
American Derringer .45ACP

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

RatMan wrote: Besides, with my health right now taking chemo, I'd be hard pressed to hit repeating shots... :(
Sorry to hear that. Hang in there buddy. I'm pullin' for you.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”