Moderator: carlson1

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Concealed Handgun Selection

Post by jbirds1210 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
jbirds1210 wrote:Glock 26.
:nono: Oh Grasshopper . . .
:coolgleamA: I did pick up a Glock 21 a few days ago....once I get the sights changed it will become part of my concealed carry picks. I did not really buy it to carry it concealed, but if I own it.....might as well carry it. I felt like certain events in my near future mandate a gun that uses something that begins with a 4.

It could be tied to a rope and knock a few folks out if things got really bad....like stuffing a concrete block under your shirt! :rolll
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

charlie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by charlie »

I like the .40 HK P2000sk. It is about the same size as the Colt Defender I used to carry. I don't find the da first shot to be a prroblem.

frankie_the_yankee
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

TX Rancher wrote:
Frankie:

If your fingers on the trigger, it’s there because you are attempting to shoot the weapon. If that’s not your intent, then it should be indexed outside the trigger guard. That’s independent of single or double action.
I don't disagree. But isn't it possible where a situation could be highly dynamic, such that one might make a decision to shoot and then (just possibly mind you) change one's mind because of the way the situation suddenly happened to change? If so, the long trigger stroke of a DAO or LDA type would be easier to manage (for me).

OTOH, maybe I'm just over thinking the whole thing. I really don't know.

What I do know is that I'm no "combat authority" or anything like that. I just hope that, a) I never have to do it, and b) if I do have to do it, that I don't mess up.
TX Rancher wrote: Having said that, I completely agree with your decision not to carry something you're not comfortable with...that shows maturity and I applaud it.
Thanks. And, FWIW, I carry my 1911 sometimes and I'm comfortable with it. Comfortable enough to carry it anyway. But I'm more comfortable with the LDA. And I think the OP was soliciting preferences, which are, as many pointed out, somewhat like preferences for ice cream.

And I certainly don't see or read about CHL's doing bad shoots very often, so I guess most people end up making a choice that is good for them. Otherwise, we'd all be hearing about the "problem cases".
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

SkipB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SkipB »

Frankie you carry what ever you are comfortable with. If you practice with it then when you need it to work it will do the job.
Skip Bishop

Tactical_Texan_CHL

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

The Para LDA is a super slick pistol. I love the 1911 feel, it's one of my favorites. My brother actually has the 3" carry model in stainless with rosewood grips. The department he worked for at the time had a no single action policy, so he bought that to be able to carry a 1911. The range sgt. even commented on how sweet the pistol is. Like txi said, though, you really can't go wrong these days with any name brand gun. Just find the one you're most comfortable with. Then comes the REAL challege. Finding a darn holster you're comfortable with to carry the silly thing in! That's been harder for me than finding guns I like!

Jbirds, did you get the new 21 SF or the regular? I have the SF and I love it! What sights are you having put on? I don't care much for the stock Glock sights myself. I've had Trijicon's put on 3 of my 4 Glocks, will do the SF when I get around to it. Thought about trying something other than Trijicon's though. Don't let Chas pick on you too much, it may not be a 1911, but at least it's a .45! ;-)
TacTex
NRA Life Member

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jbirds1210 »

Tactical_Texan_CHL wrote:Jbirds, did you get the new 21 SF or the regular? I have the SF and I love it! What sights are you having put on? I don't care much for the stock Glock sights myself. I've had Trijicon's put on 3 of my 4 Glocks, will do the SF when I get around to it. Thought about trying something other than Trijicon's though. Don't let Chas pick on you too much, it may not be a 1911, but at least it's a .45! ;-)
I purchased a regular sized 21. The gun was not really purchased with concealment in mind so the length of the grip is not an issue.

I have tried about every Glock sight out there and have decided they all stink when compared to the Sevigny/Warren line of sights. If you would like to sample the best sights out there IMO...just let me know and I have several models wearing them.

I would worry much more if Chas stopped picking :smilelol5: He gets a little glimmer in his eyes everytime he shoots one of my Glocks :mrgreen: He is a role model in my shooting and I have learned a great deal from him.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

Tactical_Texan_CHL wrote: The Para LDA is a super slick pistol. I love the 1911 feel, it's one of my favorites. My brother actually has the 3" carry model in stainless with rosewood grips.
That's the same as mine. The 6.45 Para Carry.
Tactical_Texan_CHL wrote: Then comes the REAL challege. Finding a darn holster you're comfortable with to carry the silly thing in! That's been harder for me than finding guns I like!
I got a Galco Royal Guard IWB model. Smooth on the inside, rough on the outside, and it is stiff enough to hold itself open for easy one-handed re-holstering. It works great, and it makes little 3 incher just disappear under almost any kind of untucked shirt or jacket.

And you can order it with either 1 1/4" or 1 3/4" belt loops. I got both. It came in the mail in about 3 days.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

paadams

Post by paadams »

Glock 27

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

paadams wrote:Glock 27

Yeah, but its a Glock.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

You might consider a Hi-Power. They do come in .40 and have stood the test of time regarding reliability and durability. I've not been carrying or shooting long enough to give you my personal experiences, but I will refer you to Stephen A. Camp's website, as he has been carrying and shooting Hi-Powers for decades. He also has his own section on these forums, if you want to check it out.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”