More gun rag stupidity

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Post Reply

Topic author
KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 5251
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 3:32 am
Location: Texarkana

More gun rag stupidity

#1

Post by KBCraig » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:05 am

In the book store this evening, I was browsing the gun magazines. One of them, whose name I forget, had a review of some DA semi-auto. They actually had a picture of the writer's hand gripping the pistol, with his finger in the trigger guard behind the trigger.

The caption was, "When carrying the BLASTO-9K in the hand, the writer often puts his finger behind the trigger as an added safety measure."

:banghead:

How about, "As a much better safety measure, keep your finger completely outside the trigger guard, instead of inside the trigger guard curled in a firing position."

:roll:


Moonpie
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:23 pm

Re: More gun rag stupidity

#2

Post by Moonpie » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:01 am

Gun magazines are garbage.
They haven't done anything original since 1983.


TX Rancher
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 518
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:19 am
Location: Fayette Co

Re: More gun rag stupidity

#3

Post by TX Rancher » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:04 am

That's got to be one of the dumbest suggestions I've heard. I hope a lot of the folks that read that magazine write letters to the editor.

What bothers me is someone new to SD with a firearm may read something like that and adopt it since they just don't know any better yet, and it could get them killed. The editors should take more responsibility for what their mags publish.


phddan
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:21 pm
Location: Briggs

Re: More gun rag stupidity

#4

Post by phddan » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:34 am

What a doofus sugestion :shock:

Dan

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 6072
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: More gun rag stupidity

#5

Post by Liberty » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:06 am

Thinking outside the box.

I haven't seen the piece, and I don't subscribe to the practice of the the finger, behind the trigger methodology. Maybe the practice is harmless and maybe an added measure of safety in some situations.

I've noticed that some folks really have a problem keeping their finger off the trigger when handling guns. I don't know what the issue is with these people but you call them out and they will make the corrections and moment later the booger hook is resting on the bang switch. Perhaps while casually handling a gun (not in a lo ready position) this might be safer for those folks who just have to curl their finger around something.

Another situation where it might be called for is smaller guns with strong springs. using a finger wrapped behind the trigger might give someone a little extra leverage so that they can manipulate that slide.

Sometimes an idea that initially seems pretty stupid turns out to be a pretty good idea. Maybe this is one.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

User avatar

troglodyte
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1152
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Hockley County
Contact:

Re: More gun rag stupidity

#6

Post by troglodyte » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:37 pm

I'm of the thinking that this is not a good idea and will not become a good idea.

You still have your finger in the trigger guard. You may ask, "yes, but it is behind the trigger," and that sounds good at that point. My concern is how did your finger get there? You have to bend the finger to insert it in the guard. By doing so, you must bend the finger back, past the trigger.

So I draw my Blasto-9K and, instead of laying the finger down the barrel, I have to figure out how to get it behind the trigger, under stress, while not pulling the trigger. I don't think so :nono:


locknload
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:17 pm
Location: Texas

Re: More gun rag stupidity

#7

Post by locknload » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:48 pm

TX Rancher wrote:That's got to be one of the dumbest suggestions I've heard. I hope a lot of the folks that read that magazine write letters to the editor.

What bothers me is someone new to SD with a firearm may read something like that and adopt it since they just don't know any better yet, and it could get them killed.
Or worse, yet, they could accidentally kill someone else. If it killed them ... well the gene pool may have needed flushing ... but you never know where they'd be pointing that thing, and it might just go off! :fire :shock:

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 6072
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: More gun rag stupidity

#8

Post by Liberty » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:37 pm

troglodyte wrote:I'm of the thinking that this is not a good idea and will not become a good idea.

You still have your finger in the trigger guard. You may ask, "yes, but it is behind the trigger," and that sounds good at that point. My concern is how did your finger get there? You have to bend the finger to insert it in the guard. By doing so, you must bend the finger back, past the trigger.

So I draw my Blasto-9K and, instead of laying the finger down the barrel, I have to figure out how to get it behind the trigger, under stress, while not pulling the trigger. I don't think so :nono:
I'm not thinking of the finger behind the trigger as a normal means of presentation of any gun. But out of curiousity when I read the initial post I did stick my finger behind the trigger of both my loaded handed guns, No one got killed, no one got shot, in fact the guns never went off. While I do not own any compact handguns. It does seem as though the extra leverage that the trigger finger would offer, might allow easier control when cocking or disassembling these guns. having complete control of a gun while doing these steps is also important part of safety. I do agree it isn't anything that should be done in stressful conditions. I am not even sure it would be helpful under the situation that I described because I don't own these types of guns. I am absolutely positive that most folks can stick their finger behind the trigger safely without shooting anyone.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy


txinvestigator
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4331
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 6:40 pm
Location: DFW area
Contact:

Re: More gun rag stupidity

#9

Post by txinvestigator » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:43 pm

Liberty wrote:I'm not thinking of the finger behind the trigger as a normal means of presentation of any gun. But out of curiousity when I read the initial post I did stick my finger behind the trigger of both my loaded handed guns, No one got killed, no one got shot, in fact the guns never went off. While I do not own any compact handguns. It does seem as though the extra leverage that the trigger finger would offer, might allow easier control when cocking or disassembling these guns. having complete control of a gun while doing these steps is also important part of safety. I do agree it isn't anything that should be done in stressful conditions. I am not even sure it would be helpful under the situation that I described because I don't own these types of guns. I am absolutely positive that most folks can stick their finger behind the trigger safely without shooting anyone.
Sitting in your home paying close attention to what you are doing does not make a smart move.

If you need more leverage, put your finger BELOW the trigger guard on the grip.
*CHL Instructor*


"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 6072
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: More gun rag stupidity

#10

Post by Liberty » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:58 pm

txinvestigator wrote: Sitting in your home paying close attention to what you are doing does not make a smart move.
Huh? :???: I thought playing close attention to what one is doing was always a smart move.
txinvestigator wrote: If you need more leverage, put your finger BELOW the trigger guard on the grip.
Yeah, but the problem as I see it is that one can't get enough fingers around the gun in the first place. I was discussing compact and subcompact where the pinky is left dangling. Moving a finger below the trigger guard just pushes the next finger off. I do know that there are some women that have a hard time disasembling such guns. while I might not be comfortable with a gun I can't wrap all 4 fingers around, these things are becoming very popular with the CHL crowd. It one of the reasons I don't own such a gun and really don't know if what I am describing is practical, but it does seem reasonable.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy


txinvestigator
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4331
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 6:40 pm
Location: DFW area
Contact:

Re: More gun rag stupidity

#11

Post by txinvestigator » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:03 pm

Liberty wrote:
txinvestigator wrote: Sitting in your home paying close attention to what you are doing does not make a smart move.
Huh? :???: I thought playing close attention to what one is doing was always a smart move.
Ok, I'll type slowly :evil2: Just because you can do it safely while sitting in your house paying close attention does not mean it is a smart move to put your finger in the trigger guard when not preparing to shoot.
txinvestigator wrote: If you need more leverage, put your finger BELOW the trigger guard on the grip.
Yeah, but the problem as I see it is that one can't get enough fingers around the gun in the first place.[/quote]

If you can't use the weapon safely then get a different one. I would warn any person I saw doing that at a class ONCE. After that they would be off of the line.
*CHL Instructor*


"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.


KRM45
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 852
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:48 pm
Location: DFW

Re: More gun rag stupidity

#12

Post by KRM45 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:24 pm

Liberty wrote: I am absolutely positive that most folks can stick their finger behind the trigger safely without shooting anyone.
Please show me how to do this safely with my 1911 :roll:

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 6072
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: More gun rag stupidity

#13

Post by Liberty » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:01 pm

KRM45 wrote:
Liberty wrote: I am absolutely positive that most folks can stick their finger behind the trigger safely without shooting anyone.
Please show me how to do this safely with my 1911 :roll:
Well I don't concider the 1911 a real handgun :biggrinjester: so I forgot to concider it. I guess it wouldn't be a dangerous practice if it can't be done though.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Post Reply

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”