Walmart ammo sales

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dukalmighty
Posts in topic: 1

Walmart ammo sales

Post by dukalmighty »

I went into Walmart tonight it was after midnight to buy some 22 LR for the range tomorrow,the guy tells me he can only sell shotgun shells after like 11pm,I said what's the difference?The rocket scientist threw out something about 9/11,I replied 9/11 has nothing to do with ammunition sales and that was the dumbest thing i have ever heard,I then said I won't be buying anymore ammunition in walmart again.
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Walmart ammo sales

Post by Mike1951 »

My local Wal-Mart has always had a policy of no 'behind the counter' sporting goods sales after 10pm.

I believe it pre-dates 9/11 and is more a result of them not wanting to keep a competent associate past that time.

Shotgun shells are usually stocked where the customers can serve themselves.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

I used to work in the Sporting Goods section at Wal-Mart, and they never had any sort of policy like that. You could always have a manager paged to get stuff from behind the counter. They didn't sell guns after about 11 pm, but everything else was available. Of course, you'd usually have to wait half an hour or so for the manager to wake up from their evening nap.
They also never kept 22 ammo locked up. We would have the big bricks of it setting out on the counter, since it was such a good seller. The only thing they kept locked away was handgun ammo.
NRA lifetime member

fm2

Post by fm2 »

Yep, I had a similar conversation about buying a pocket knife one night.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

bigolbigun

Post by bigolbigun »

You can't buy ammo or a knife after 10:00 pm, but you can buy a chili cheese dog with nachos and peppers? That sounds like a deadlier combination to me at that time of night.

Glock 23

Post by Glock 23 »

bigolbigun wrote:You can't buy ammo or a knife after 10:00 pm, but you can buy a chili cheese dog with nachos and peppers? That sounds like a deadlier combination to me at that time of night.

i guess the real irony is that if you want to shoot anyone late at night and have no ammo, you're just gonna have to kill them with shotgun or rifle.
how inconvenient.

Deaf Smith

Post by Deaf Smith »

Wonder if you can get kitchen knives that late at night? Or a baseball bat? or hammer?

Corporate execs live in ivory towers and don't have a clue.
Deaf

Tactical_Texan_CHL

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

I've run into the same thing in ours. Heck, one night a couple of years ago, I was supposed to go on a hunting trip, and around midnight the night before, I realized I hadn't ever gotten a license for the new season. I quick ran to Wally World, and they told me they don't sell ANYTHING from that counter after 11:00 and I couldn't even get a license!! I had to go to change my plans, and stop in Academy on my way through Lubbock to get my license. I had intended to leave at 3:00 in the morning and hunt pheasant with a friend all day long, but I had to miss the morning hunt and only got to hunt the afternoon. I was dissappointed to say the least. I think I'm going to get the lifetime license sometime so that never happens again. Now, one of our Wal-Mart's got rid of all their guns. They still have ammo, but that's it. They don't even have much of that anymore. I asked the counter person about it one day, and he told me if a store drops into the lower 20% of profit producing stores, corporate takes their gun department! Don't know if that's true, though. Still a bit irritating anyway. I once got a good 10/22 from Wally World! Not anymore! :mad5
TacTex
NRA Life Member

stroo

Post by stroo »

I have never noticed any competent sales people at any time behind the ammo counter at the Walmart I go to!!! :shock: Usually you have to hunt down someone to help you.

alibatesknapper

Post by alibatesknapper »

I was told that walmart was constantly getting into trouble from the ATF for their bad paper work. Thats why they quit selling guns.

"rlol"
a

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

stroo wrote:I have never noticed any competent sales people at any time behind the ammo counter at the Walmart I go to!!! :shock: Usually you have to hunt down someone to help you.
There's a lady who frequently works the gun counter at the Wal-Mart in Bastrop who is very knowledgeable about different yypes of ammo and other related matters.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mike1951 »

Not only have I seen the rare, knowledgeable, actual gun person working the sporting goods counter at a Wal-Mart, but they kept him in sporting goods for a couple of years. He was an avid shooter and quite well informed.

As Paul Harvey would say, "The rest of the story", the only reason he left was that he was hired by the local Academy store, where he has worked the gun counter for several years now.

So there ya go, two miracles involving the same guy!
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

locknload

Post by locknload »

Glock 23 wrote:
bigolbigun wrote:You can't buy ammo or a knife after 10:00 pm, but you can buy a chili cheese dog with nachos and peppers? That sounds like a deadlier combination to me at that time of night.

i guess the real irony is that if you want to shoot anyone late at night and have no ammo, you're just gonna have to kill them with shotgun or rifle.
how inconvenient.
....or add beans to that chili dog and gas 'em to death!!! "rlol"

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

stroo wrote:I have never noticed any competent sales people at any time behind the ammo counter at the Walmart I go to!!! :shock:
I had one that was pretty good. I asked for a box of .380 ammo and he said "I don't see any, but we have some 308, do you want that instead?" I told him, "no thanks." At least he got the numbers right. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

Winston33

Post by Winston33 »

There's mostly tumbleweeds and dust behind my local Walmart sporting goods counter. :???:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”