Kel-Tec P3AT

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by gigag04 »

Need info from you owners of this little bitty thing.

I want to acquire one for myself as BUG, but I think it would work great as a primary for one of my friends who is getting her CHL soon. I've read reviews where some P3ATs had jamming issues and had to get sent back.

I'm curious if you guys/girls that own one could recommend as a primary carry piece.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I have had the .32 and now the .380. I have never had one problem with FTF or FTE using silver tips. I have a clip on my .380 and carry it often. It is one of the best around I THINK.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

I think you know my thoughs on them. It is small and fits in just about any pocket.

Mine has been reliable in about 300 rounds. No failures of any kind.

Recoil is a tad sharp but controlable.

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nitrogen »

I would *not* recommend this as a primary carry piece, especially if it's someone's first firearm.

My P3AT took some getting used to (I'm still getting used to it!)
I know I need to have absolutely perfect form with mine, or i'll get an FTE with it. It also chews up my hand; and i'm pretty ineffective with it at any range past 7 or so yards.

Unless she's a real pro, or unless she's got really strong hands, I'd probably recommend a snubnosed .38 for her instead.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Jim101

Post by Jim101 »

I have a Kel Tec .32 and have never had any problems with it...

Jim
NRA, TSRA

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

I have two 1st generation models, my son has a 2nd. Limp-wristing is an issue with these. I find that a one hand grip is best, especiall with my sausage size fingers. I carry them as BUGs and as a primary when deep concealment is required. They require lubrication (Militec grease and oil is best) and break-in. The recoil in the 380 version is sharp, and I agree that the ladies might want a snubbie instead. Kel-Tec customer service is tops - lifetime warranty. They are very accuurate to 7 yds.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

Sorry if it sounded like i'm badmouthing the kel-tec; I'm not. It's just a very finicky gun, and requires some break-in and a lot of practice with it, before the gun learns your handling style, and vice versa :)

Considering how small it is, the finickiness is worth it, to me.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Gunowners are a finicky bunch, and opinions are many. Lots of folks dislike Kel-Tecs.

I don't own any Glocks.

Yet.

Not enough money to buy all I need.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

The P-3AT can be a hand full for a new shooter. I would recommend adding either NAA Guardian (minor mod req) or Bersa Thunder finger extensions to extra Kel-Tec magazines. This gives better control while the rough spots on the pistol are worn smooth (called break-in) and the shooter adjusts to the recoil of an 8oz pistol. If money isn’t a big problem she might consider starting with a P-32 first, then going for the bigger caliper a few months later. It never hurts to have a back-up :)

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

I don't own any Glocks.

I thought everyone owned at least one Glock :shock:
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I went with a ladyfriend the day she bought the KT .380 a year or two ago. It ran FINE for several of us, but, despite lots of coaching, she never could get off more than a couple of rounds without malfunction.

Another DCSA member bought it and is tickled with it. Lady (with admittedly weak wrists) went back to a S&W 5-holer ... And, I might say, is quite proficient with it.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”