Eye Candy slash 1911 bushing

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
gigag04
Posts in topic: 6

Eye Candy slash 1911 bushing

Post by gigag04 »

Got back from the range today and cleaned everything as usual. Took a few pics and I thought I would share one...well...just because.

The full size is the Series 70 Gold Cup that my dad gave me. He used to compete with it back in the day. It's incredible.

The 3" is a Kimber Ultra Carry that I just got on a trade with a member of the forum. It is now my primary carry piece.

It was a great day of shooting...unfortunately I didn't bring any targets home.

Also - anyone know of where I can find a replacement bushing for the Gold Cup. When I took it apart today the thing was in pieces.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 3

Post by HighVelocity »

Very Nice! :grin: We could use some more 1911 beauty pics round here.

In regards to the bushing. You can get one at several online shops like Brownells or Wilsons. I recommend you get a slightly oversized bushing and have it fit to the gun by a competent smith. It will be a lot more accurate than a typical drop in replacement.

I like Ed Brown and Kings Bushings.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Kings bushing in the Brownells catalog. I have 2 1911's with this bushing and they work great.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... EL+BUSHING

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

HighVelocity wrote:Kings bushing in the Brownells catalog. I have 2 1911's with this bushing and they work great.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... EL+BUSHING
I think we are talking about different parts. If that is a bushing...then I have one of those - what I need is a little rubber piece that goes in the guide rod assembly. Maybe I meant a BUFFER. I'm an aggie after all...

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Found it I think:

http://www.cominolli.com/reviews.htm

It's called a frame-saver. Anyone know of a good supplier?

-nick

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Ah, that's not the bushing. :lol:

That piece didn't come in there and you don't even need it. I use them "just because" but I've never had a failure due to NOT having one.

I don't recommend them on a defensive gun though. The things can CAUSE malfunctions if they fall apart which aparently yours did.

I have some and will mail you a few if you pm me your mailing address.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Since I am not a .45 1911 expert...yet...

I got a package of half a dozen of those "bushings" for about a buck and a half...

I have been told the pistol will operate without the bushing if you have to use it...But some sort of "thing" might happen over time if you don't put one back in... :oops: I think it might be it turns back into a pumpkin at some point of the day...

My memory goes after a while...It's a vitamin B-12 deficiency... ;-)

"gig" if you can't find any...Next time your down this way, I'll give you a couple...Now ain't that just nice of me or what!
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

wow people are throwing these things at me.

Let's try some other things that I "need" and see if I get the same response:

I also need some boxes of .45 acp to shoot at the range?

I also really need an AR or some variant. If you an extras I'll take those off your hands.

I've Les Baer makes a good 1911....I'll try one of these as well.

:lol:

No really guys - I appreciate all these offers for help! I may take you up on it stevie, next time I'm down there.

I think the mag holder I'm selling is going to highvelocity and he's gonna send me some with the payment or something.

Baytown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Baytown »

I would not put a buffer in as they can come apart when you don't want them to. I had one in a gun at one time and found I could not get the slide to go forward on a mag change by pulling the slide to the rear. I could only get it to go forward by pushing down on the slide lock (again, not a good idea in a fight.)

I have a Kimber I have shot more than 20-30K rounds through, and it still runs just fine. Just change out your recoil spring and you should not need a buffer.

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Baytown wrote:I would not put a buffer in as they can come apart when you don't want them to.
I fully agree for a carry gun - but the Gold Cup is range only - and I would like to preserve it as much as possible since it was a pass-down from my dad.

The ultra carry has no buffer. Thanks for the heads up though!

-nick

Baytown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Baytown »

In the case of the Gold Cup then, buffer away, hell it can't hurt.

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

seadawg221
Posts in topic: 1

Post by seadawg221 »

That Gold Cup is very nice!

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Thanks! It's my dads old competition gun. The trigger on it is beautiful! He has done so much work to it, and now he lives in LA and doesn't shoot much. So...thus the story of a family pass down :)

Next time we have a forum day I'll bring it out.

-nick

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”