Spitting Kimber

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ArmedTeacher
Posts in topic: 5

Spitting Kimber

Post by ArmedTeacher »

For those of you with experience with Kimbers, do they all spit the brass back in your face during the break in period? My forehead is starting to get scarred.
15 Mar 08--CHL Initial Class
20 Mar 08--Applied Online
26 Mar 08--Packet mailed certified to DPS
02 Apr 08--Packet Rec'd by DPS
25 Jul 08--Plastic in wallet---115 Days

Kerbouchard
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Spitting Kimber

Post by Kerbouchard »

Nope, sounds like you need to have your extractor adjusted.

Rokyudai
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rokyudai »

Don't hold it gangsta style!
:biggrinjester:

Seriously have never encountered this with my Pro CDP II. Usually initial break-ins entail some FTFs. Have you tried different ammo?

Good luck!

Rok
NRA Benefactor Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have been on rare occasion hit on the top of my head by falling brass that is ejecting straight up and back from my Ultra Carry II, but the vast majority of the time, the empties eject to my right rear quarter.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

DoubleActionCHL

Post by DoubleActionCHL »

Kerbouchard wrote:Nope, sounds like you need to have your extractor adjusted.
Please explain, because I have the same problem. I talked to Kimber and they said it needs to be cleaned and lubed, and broken in thoroughly. I've put about 200 rounds through it and it's a LITTLE better, but still hits me in the forehead about every 4th or 5th round.

http://www.doubleactionchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Houston, Texas

"Excuses are for tombstones. Get back in the fight."
--Me

sar

Post by sar »

two of the three kimbers I've owned did this. They both required multiple trips back to Kimber's customer service for that and other issues. Ulitmately they were corrected, but Kimber's customer service is pretty condescending. Yours will scar your head until you send it back at least once. If you push them, they will send ups to pick it up. They will most likely not offer this and if you offer to just send the gun they're happy to comply.

I have one remaining Kimber. If I could magically transform it into a springer, STI, or one of several other guns, I would. Not because of any issues with it. It's a flawless grand raptor II. I just don't like Kimber's business practice, etc.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

ArmedTeacher wrote:For those of you with experience with Kimbers, do they all spit the brass back in your face during the break in period? My forehead is starting to get scarred.
First, wear a hat!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Second, erratic ejection from a 1911 is related to the ejector and the recoil spring the extractor fits into the mix but it is a minor player.

What ammo are you shooting? What model Kimber do you have? Is the gun stock or has it been tinkered with? Does it have an internal or external extractor? Kimber's external extractor has left much to be desired they went back to the internal style after many problems. If it is stock and you haven't done anything to it then it's time to try a heavier recoil spring. Stock is 16# try a 18-18.5# spring and see if that doesn't correct the problem. Also, check the ejector make sure it is tight in the frame and isn't damaged. If the ejector checks out and the heavier spring doesn't correct the problem then a trip back to Kimber is in order
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Winston33

Post by Winston33 »

If you are shooting a 4 inch, I highly reccomend a new recoil spring from Wolff springs. This will solve the classic new Kimber flu (fail to feed, fail to return to battery, brass in the face). It did for mine! From what I have read, the factory spring is of lesser quality and performs a little under par. This is also widely shared remedy on 1911forum.com

Texbow

Post by Texbow »

Maybe twice out of a 1000 plus rounds with my Ultra Covert II.

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

I have 2 Kimbers, Custom Target 5" and Compact Stainless 4" and both have run flawless.
I would think combination ejector and extractor.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

sar

Post by sar »

If this is a new gun, fixing yourself makes no sense. I think a company that portrays itself as manufacturing quality guns should take their 1000 dollar gun back and fix it.

If you get the idea that I'm dissatisfied with Kimber, you are correct. Most of the folks that I know that have kimbers 3 or mor years old are happy with them. A lot of the folks buying Kimbers last year and this year are reporting issues with FTFs and with brass hitting their foreheads.

Texasdoc

Post by Texasdoc »

My pro carry2 did that that for the first 400 rds. if you use win.white box it does it more then with other brands.

with Federals red box it worked better and did put the brass in my face.

Kimber told me it takes over 400 rds to break there guns in.

here is Dennis at kimbers custom shops email addy. dennism@kimberamerica.com he will help with anything you need with a kimber.
Shoot more,then Reload and Shoot somemore. Image

http://www.texasguntalk.com

Topic author
ArmedTeacher

Post by ArmedTeacher »

Rokyudai wrote:Don't hold it gangsta style!
:biggrinjester:

Seriously have never encountered this with my Pro CDP II. Usually initial break-ins entail some FTFs. Have you tried different ammo?Good luck!

Rok
---Old OG habits die hard. I'l try holding it upright from now on. I have used magtech and speer lawman thus far. I've only put 250 rounds through it so far. There is also the problem with the slide not going into full battery.
MoJo wrote:
ArmedTeacher wrote:For those of you with experience with Kimbers, do they all spit the brass back in your face during the break in period? My forehead is starting to get scarred.
First, wear a hat!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Second, erratic ejection from a 1911 is related to the ejector and the recoil spring the extractor fits into the mix but it is a minor player.

What ammo are you shooting? What model Kimber do you have? Is the gun stock or has it been tinkered with? Does it have an internal or external extractor? Kimber's external extractor has left much to be desired they went back to the internal style after many problems. If it is stock and you haven't done anything to it then it's time to try a heavier recoil spring. Stock is 16# try a 18-18.5# spring and see if that doesn't correct the problem. Also, check the ejector make sure it is tight in the frame and isn't damaged. If the ejector checks out and the heavier spring doesn't correct the problem then a trip back to Kimber is in order
---The hat isn't helping! Somehow, it's one of those magical bullet casings that flies up under the hat to strike me right smack in the middle of my forehead.

It's a Eclipse Pro II with an internal extractor. I haven't done anything to it yet as I want to get through the breakin period. Seriously though, I'm not going to put any more money into to get it to function like it should.

Thanks for all the great information, everyone! I have heard about quite a bit of dissatisfaction with Kimbers lately. We'll have to see what they say. I would expect that if it is not functioning properly, they would pay the shipping costs both ways and repair it for free.

Rokyudai

Post by Rokyudai »

Now, the advice you are getting here is eye opening for sure. The general consensus seems that a break-in period is normal for most 1911s. You are still in that period for sure.

The slide not locking in battery? Hmm... would anyone here want to take that question? A less expensive option (and trust me on this, I am just brainstorming at this point) would be to pick up some Wilson Combat Mags instead of using the stock mags. I had some problems feeding, but I don't know if an improved mag. could assist the slide going into battery.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
ArmedTeacher

Post by ArmedTeacher »

Rokyudai wrote:Now, the advice you are getting here is eye opening for sure. The general consensus seems that a break-in period is normal for most 1911s. You are still in that period for sure.

The slide not locking in battery? Hmm... would anyone here want to take that question? A less expensive option (and trust me on this, I am just brainstorming at this point) would be to pick up some Wilson Combat Mags instead of using the stock mags. I had some problems feeding, but I don't know if an improved mag. could assist the slide going into battery.
---I picked up the Wilson Mags the same day. It happens when I'm using either the Wilson or the Kimber mag. I know it's not due to lack of lubrication as I keep it well oiled.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”