Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TDDude
Posts in topic: 1

Good Argument Against a 6-Shooter

Post by TDDude »

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article ... 8&catid=14
Father badly beaten after trying to protect daughter at Valleyfair

Six men remain in the Scott County jail following what police call a brutal assault on a father trying to protect his daughter.

Shakopee police say as the crowd was leaving Valleyfair Amusement Park around midnight on the 4th of July, the victim's daughter was confronted by two men.

"The 12-year-old daughter was either touched or slapped in the buttocks area," Scott County Attorney Patrick Ciliberto said. "The father confronted (the men) by yelling at them for what they had done to his daughter," he added.

Police say the two men called their friends, who were also in the park. The group of seven men and a juvenile then confronted the father.

"They beat him to the ground and then, the evidence that we have, when he was on the ground, they used their feet on him. They were kicking him in the face when he was down," Ciliberto said.

According to the criminal complaints, the men were stomping on the 41-year-old father as he lay on the ground, unconscious.

He suffered severe head injuries, including a fractured right orbital bone and possible subdural bleeding on the brain. "We don't know if there are permanent injuries yet," the County Attorney said.

Shakopee Police found the suspects in the parking lot. Seven of them were arrested and one man ran from the scene and police are still looking for him. Of the seven taken into custody, one was a 14-year-old.

The six adults charged and held in jail are Devondre Evans-Lewis, Andrew Shannon, Darris Evans, Terry Arnold, Derry Evans, and Anthony Gildersleeve.

The Scott County Attorney says several of the men have criminal histories and they are all from the Twin Cities metro area. They range in age from 18 to 22-years-old.

All six adults have been charged with 3rd degree felony assault causing substantial bodily harm.
Anyone willing to admit that they wouldn't intervene??

I'm not sure what I would actually "do" but I would like to think that I would have done something to help. The story and video attached within the link mention nothing about any bystanders coming to this guys aid.
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Good Argument Against a 6-Shooter

Post by seamusTX »

Multiple assailants beating a guy who is already on the ground is the unlawful use of deadly force, so you would be justified in threatening and using deadly force to stop it.

It wouldn't matter at that point if the guy they were beating had asked for it. There is no legal justification for continuing to beat someone who is down.

With regard to having a revolver, you might not have to shoot at all, and shooting one actor would probably make the others flee. You also need to see some good use of speedloaders. Some shooters can reload a revolver in a second.

- Jim

TxD

Post by TxD »

seamusTX wrote: With regard to having a revolver, you might not have to shoot at all, and shooting one actor would probably make the others flee. You also need to see some good use of speedloaders. Some shooters can reload a revolver in a second.
- Jim
Reminds me of that old math quiz.
If there are six crows on a fence and you shoot one.
How many are left?
Black Rifles Matter

mr.72
Posts in topic: 11

Post by mr.72 »

I am pretty good with math. I have two beautiful teenage daughters. I have heard stories like this before. I'll hedge against the crows-on-a-fence mathematical anomaly and carry double digits.
non-conformist CHL holder

Mr.Scott

Post by Mr.Scott »

This is why the wheel gun should be a snubbie that is a backup to a semi auto with at least 10 rounds.
Though admittedly I've carried just the .38 when making a quick run out of the house. I would never go anywhere where I know there will be large groups of people and not carry one of the XD's.

It's sad, but pack mentality is growing in the use of violence, and though one shot and dead POS is usually enough to get them to run, you never know when they will do something even dumber and try to attack you.

Being a father myself, I would have stepped in and helped. It's amazing that people are afraid to help these days.
I'm not going to step in if a dude slaps his wife/GF or even kid. IF it gets heated and they are yanking on hair and punch each other, I'll call the cops, but if someone is on the ground being stomped on, I'm going to try and help and make sure that person has a chance at living.
DIVIDED WE STAND, UNITED WE FALL

Pinkycatcher

Post by Pinkycatcher »

Mr.Scott wrote:This is why the wheel gun should be a snubbie that is a backup to a semi auto with at least 10 rounds.
Though admittedly I've carried just the .38 when making a quick run out of the house. I would never go anywhere where I know there will be large groups of people and not carry one of the XD's.

It's sad, but pack mentality is growing in the use of violence, and though one shot and dead POS is usually enough to get them to run, you never know when they will do something even dumber and try to attack you.

Being a father myself, I would have stepped in and helped. It's amazing that people are afraid to help these days.
I'm not going to step in if a dude slaps his wife/GF or even kid. IF it gets heated and they are yanking on hair and punch each other, I'll call the cops, but if someone is on the ground being stomped on, I'm going to try and help and make sure that person has a chance at living.
That's a good baseline I believe, at that point if it's 6 on 1 on the ground it's deadly force and it's justifiable, other than that it's a police call or let them argue it out.

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

TxD wrote:Reminds me of that old math quiz.
How many are left?
:iagree:
You start popping off rounds into several of them, I would guess they would be fast on their feet in the opposite direction.
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

agbullet2k1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by agbullet2k1 »

How many are left?
Had an argument with a teacher once who swore that the answer was 0. I just simply couldn't convince her that the one that was shot didn't leave with the others. It's ok, I didn't need the bonus points anyway.
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasComputerDude »

agbullet2k1 wrote:
How many are left?
Had an argument with a teacher once who swore that the answer was 0. I just simply couldn't convince her that the one that was shot didn't leave with the others. It's ok, I didn't need the bonus points anyway.

maybe the teacher just winged it.
Glock 30 - main ccw

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Some of you folks obviously have not seen someone that knows how to REALLY shoot and reload a wheelgun (I am not one of these people). There is NO disadvantage to the wheelgun if it is in the proper hands.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Jerry Miculek, 12 shots in less than 3 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uisHfKj2JiI

- Jim

longhorn_92

Post by longhorn_92 »

seamusTX wrote:Jerry Miculek, 12 shots in less than 3 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uisHfKj2JiI

- Jim
I taught him everything I know... :biggrinjester:
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

longhorn_92 wrote:
seamusTX wrote:Jerry Miculek, 12 shots in less than 3 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uisHfKj2JiI

- Jim
I taught him everything I know... :biggrinjester:
Somewhere there is an empty thimble, sitting next to "my" empty thimble... :anamatedbanana :smilelol5: :cheers2:

I'm working on some new analogies...This one probably stinks...But hey, I have been told I am rather fearless... ;-)

Still it is an impressive video clip...

As for the crime mentioned above...There would probably be some very unhappy people who were involved in the assault...But that is about as far as I'll go on that...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

I am among those who believe that once the shooting starts, nobody is going to be standing around waiting to get shot. Would anyone want to stand around when the shooting starts? The bad guys don't want to get shot anymore than the good guys want to shoot them. I carry a .38 J frame quite regularly and feel well armed.

There are many on this board that I have watched shoot a wheelgun in IDPA competetion, and they can put some semi-auto guys to shame with their trigger speed and reload times. Watching a good wheelgunner shoot will give anyone a new respect for the revolver.

JLaw
Six for sure.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I'm tryin, I'm Tryin, I'm really doing better.

Seriously, I love that new GP100 3" & it carries great in the Boom-Stick holster.
You taught me a lot lad. :tiphat:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”