Wolf 9mm steel cased

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
flb_78
Posts in topic: 1

Wolf 9mm steel cased

Post by flb_78 »

Does anyone have any experience with this ammo? The way prices are skyrocketing, I thought about picking some up just to have. Natchez has raised the price of the Blazer to 8.49/box which would be almost 200/case delivered. Ammoman has the Wolf for 189 delivered.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Wolf 9mm steel cased

Post by Excaliber »

flb_78 wrote:Does anyone have any experience with this ammo? The way prices are skyrocketing, I thought about picking some up just to have. Natchez has raised the price of the Blazer to 8.49/box which would be almost 200/case delivered. Ammoman has the Wolf for 189 delivered.
I've used lots (+10,000 rounds) of Wolf steel case in .40 and .45, as well as some in 9mm. It's good practice ammo. Pluses and minuses:

It burns dirty. Cleaning will take more effort.

It's the least expensive acceptable practice ammo I've been able to find.

Some ranges won't let you use it because it isn't recyclable by the folks who pick up their brass.

I have had some hard primers that took two hammer strikes to fire. If it happens with ammo in a given box, you may see one or two others in the same box. More than likely, the next box will be OK.

It occasionally produces a FTF or FTE. For me, that's OK because it introduces an occasional malfunction drill (maybe once in 4 - 500 rounds).

The polymer coated cases seem to be better than the old lacquer coated cases.

I hope this helps!
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

JohnKSa

Post by JohnKSa »

In last year's ISHOT1000 match (a 1000 round reliability match) only two guns shooting factory ammunition had more than 20 malfunctions. One was badly overlubricated and the other was shooting steel-cased Wolf ammunition.

I would (have, in fact) use Wolf for practice ammunition, but I think most people realize that as far as practice ammunition goes it's not top-quality.
Do you know about the TEXAS State Rifle Association?

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

JohnKSa wrote:In last year's ISHOT1000 match (a 1000 round reliability match) only two guns shooting factory ammunition had more than 20 malfunctions. One was badly overlubricated and the other was shooting steel-cased Wolf ammunition.

I would (have, in fact) use Wolf for practice ammunition, but I think most people realize that as far as practice ammunition goes it's not top-quality.
I agree it's not top quality, and I wouldn't use it in a match.

However, for my purposes, including inducing an occasional surprise malfunction to stimulate execution of a malfunction drill, it is an acceptable compromise between price and performance. I shoot quite a bit, and using Wolf lets me shoot more without breaking the budget. (Yes, I know I should take up reloading and I'm looking into that.)

I have never experienced a squib load with this ammo, or any other situation that would pose a safety hazard.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

RECIT

Post by RECIT »

I too have been interested in the steel cased 9mm. But I had heard it wears on your gun more. The same thing everyone says about steel cased ammo in the AR platform. I shoot A LOT at the range and I am always looking to cut down the cost of fun these days.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

RECIT wrote:I too have been interested in the steel cased 9mm. But I had heard it wears on your gun more. The same thing everyone says about steel cased ammo in the AR platform. I shoot A LOT at the range and I am always looking to cut down the cost of fun these days.
I haven't been able to detect any unusual wear from shooting thousands of rounds of Wolf in my handguns.

AR users reported some issues with the older lacquer coated steel cases Wolf used to produce because in rapid fire the lacquer would heat up and transfer to the chamber walls where it would build up and eventually cause feeding or extraction issues. This buildup was a pain to remove.

Newer production Wolf ammo uses a polymer coating that does not appear to leave any deposit, and shoots well. In .223, I have observed it has a slightly lower muzzle velocity than standard US military M193 rounds like those produced by Lake City, etc. but it shoots well and accurately enough for practice.

I have no hesitation about using this ammo for practice, but others may feel that the drawbacks are significant enough to make other choices. To each his own.
Excaliber

Weg

Post by Weg »

Never had a problem with it in my P89, other than the powder fouling is much dirtier. The accuracy is much less than good ammo, but the farthest I ever shoot is 50 ft., and it will still group center of mass at that distance.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”