Help with sights

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
MinhWin
Posts in topic: 2

Help with sights

Post by MinhWin »

I've just checked the DPS website earlier today and it showed application processing. This is after three weeks when it showed that the DPS has received it. So I figured another 60 days, then I will get mine. So onto the question. I want to change my rear and front sights for both my Glocks 23 and 27. These will be my Concealed Carry firearms. Which one do you guys recommend? Mepro light or Truglo?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Help with sights

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My wife's G19 came with factory installed Trijicon night sights. They are plenty bright, and the dots are large enough to see easily. I would feel comfortable recommending them.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bryang

Post by bryang »

I installed Trijicon night sights on my Colt carry pistol a couple of years ago and have been very satisfied with them. They are very bright, I can see them glowing at night on the shelf by my bed.

-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

TXCO

Post by TXCO »

I've got TruGlo on one of my G23s, and love them; bright even in the daylight.

Edited to add: I have the TFO's and they are really bright at night and are really visible even in bright daylight. I have heard the tubes are sensitive to cleaning solvents, though, so be careful there.Also heard that some have had loose tubes; i put a drop of clear nail polish on mine.

Larry
Last edited by TXCO on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSRA Life member
NRA Life member
CPO-Retired

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

+1 for Trijicon
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

You might be comparing apples and oranges here. There are night sights with a tritium insert to help align the sights in the dark. Meprolight and Trijicon are probably the two biggest sellers of these. I personally prefer the Trijicon, but it is really a matter of personal choice.

Then there are the fiber optic sights that help improve sight alignment during the day time. These use a short piece of fiber optic material and an open section of the top of the sight to gather light and make it appear to glow during the daytime. Truglo is one of the best of these.

But the difference between the Truglo and Meprolights is the difference between day time and night time use. I have never used the fiber optic sights and cannot comment on them.

Then there is the third type of sight. Truglo makes a sight that uses a combination of tritium and fiber optics. They call them the TFO sight. This sight has the open top to gather light during the day and a small amount of tritium to glow at night. They have a distinct advantage over all other sight designs in that the sight picture stays the same during the day and night. To the best of my knowledge, Truglo is the only manufacturer that has this style of sight. I have never used them and have heard mixed reviews on their durability.

I would prefer the TFO sights if I had a choice. I want to try them to see if they work as well as the design factors say they should. It could be the bad reviews were right, but I want to see for myself.
Steve Rothstein

HOSSISFREE

Post by HOSSISFREE »

I have Meprolight Tritium sights on my Kimber Tactical Ultra and My H&K USP .45. I have had them for a few years now with no issues. They've been easy to see and sight in both day and night situations. I haven't tried any other brand, so I can't dispel others against them, but I've been very pleased.

Hoss
..." it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." ~ Declaration of Independence!

dukesean

Post by dukesean »

I've got the TFO's on my bedside .45 and my daily carry .40. Love them. They're very bright at night, and also very visible during the day. The only "problem" I had with them is that my CCW rear sight got loose one time, so I just readjusted and tightened.
-------------------------------------
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

RKirby

Post by RKirby »

I have XS Big Dots on two of my guns, soon to be all three. IMHO they are the best there is for close quarters combat. They are especially beneficial to us old guys who have a hard time focusing on the front site.
"Superior firepower is an invaluable tool when entering into negotiations." - G. Patton

Topic author
MinhWin

Post by MinhWin »

How about the Truglo Fiber Optic with the front sight being red and the rear green? It's not the TFO version. Are they any good? It's like half the price of the TFO.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

srothstein wrote:You might be comparing apples and oranges here. There are night sights with a tritium insert to help align the sights in the dark. Meprolight and Trijicon are probably the two biggest sellers of these. I personally prefer the Trijicon, but it is really a matter of personal choice.

Then there are the fiber optic sights that help improve sight alignment during the day time. These use a short piece of fiber optic material and an open section of the top of the sight to gather light and make it appear to glow during the daytime. Truglo is one of the best of these.

But the difference between the Truglo and Meprolights is the difference between day time and night time use. I have never used the fiber optic sights and cannot comment on them.

Then there is the third type of sight. Truglo makes a sight that uses a combination of tritium and fiber optics. They call them the TFO sight. This sight has the open top to gather light during the day and a small amount of tritium to glow at night. They have a distinct advantage over all other sight designs in that the sight picture stays the same during the day and night. To the best of my knowledge, Truglo is the only manufacturer that has this style of sight. I have never used them and have heard mixed reviews on their durability.

I would prefer the TFO sights if I had a choice. I want to try them to see if they work as well as the design factors say they should. It could be the bad reviews were right, but I want to see for myself.
I tried and liked the TFO sights on a Springfield XD - until the illuminated vial in the front sight went dark after about 4 months and around 800 rounds. I went with the tried and true Trijicons I have on my other pistols for replacement.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

MinhWin wrote:How about the Truglo Fiber Optic with the front sight being red and the rear green? It's not the TFO version. Are they any good? It's like half the price of the TFO.
They look great in daylight, but remember that those colored rods that are exposed through the cutout in the top of the sight are glass and will do what glass does if subjected to bending pressure, impact or shock. The fact that some of these sights come with replacement rods and replacement material is sold for others indicates it happens. Murphy's law says if it does happen, it will happen at the worst possible time (like during a fight for your life). This would be a bad thing.

My personal assessment is that fiber optic or fiber optic / tritium sights are fine for target shooting, plinking, etc. The bright dots really stand out and are much easier to use than plain black sights, or even white dots. For serious social purposes, I prefer to go with sights that can take a beating and still deliver the performance you need.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Excaliber wrote:
My personal assessment is that fiber optic or fiber optic / tritium sights are fine for target shooting, plinking, etc. The bright dots really stand out and are much easier to use than plain black sights, or even white dots. For serious social purposes, I prefer to go with sights that can take a beating and still deliver the performance you need.
Any sight that can stand up to my target shooting is the sight I want on my carry guns. I guarantee the gun I take to the range to enjoy shooting gets far more abuse then my carry guns get. My Trijicon night sights and my fiber optics sights do take a licking and keep on kicking.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Blinking Dog

Post by Blinking Dog »

Trijicon seems to work best for true night shooting, IMHO. You shouldn't judge the quality (brightness) of the glow of the night sight by what you see during the day...since they are designed for low light shooting.

Don't just take my word for it, put up a target on a range at night and then stand back at about 7 to 10 yards and line up on the target. The really bright dots like Mepro will drown out the target. It can happen with most 3 dot sights in fact. I think you're really better off with either a front sight only Trijicon insert, or a 2-dot sight.

Most folks don't get the opportunity to shoot at night due to range restrictions, but you owe it to yourself to do so somehow.

:txflag:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”