1911 Model - What is a good one to start out with?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Tallinthesaddle
Posts in topic: 1

1911 Model - What is a good one to start out with?

Post by Tallinthesaddle »

I have been shooting mainly 9mm but want to buy a 1911 model in 45 cal. to start out with. Last week I tried the Springfield Armory GI model which is inexpensive, but gets the job done. The top of the grip seems to bite my hand some but I can get through a 50 round box OK. I don't plan to use it much for CC, but for occasional target and plinking. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

bridge
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 1911 Model - What is a good one to start out with?

Post by bridge »

Doesn't really matter...Gov't model, Commander, Kimber UCII...once you get one, you'll want the own them all :drool:

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Oldgringo »

For my money, you can't beat a Taurus PT 1911. It's not as particular as my Kimber and as a consequence, gets to see a lot more of the world than the sensitive one.

MTICop

Post by MTICop »

bridge wrote:Doesn't really matter...Gov't model, Commander, Kimber UCII...once you get one, you'll want the own them all :drool:
Truer words have never been spoken!!!

I am a big fan of Kimber, Springfield Armory, Taurus, etc and so on. I've also seen quite a few from a company called Fusion Firearms and I want them all.
Adversity doesn't build character....it reveals it.

USAF (Retired)
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

To Tallinthesaddle: I believe your geography would not work for this sale but
Bass Pro Shops, until April 5, 2009, has brand new Taurus 1911B's on sale for $629.99.

This one has Heinie "Straight Eight" sights and some other identification
number in the ad is "1194354". I don't know if this is a Taurus stock number,
or something else.

This is a 5" barrel with 8 round .45 mags.
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Skeptilius
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skeptilius »

I have a Taurus PT-1911B with Heine sights and night sights. I love this gun. Accurate and reliable and not fussy about the ammo used. Colts are nice, but very expensive. My Taurus was about $720.00.
Retired Police Officer
Own: Taurus PT-1911
Taurus PT-745
Taurus Model 605 (.357 snubby)
NAA Guardian .380
Houston, Tx.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I have a Taurus PT 1911 with Heinie sights as stated. What is the difference between the various Taurus 1911's other than stainless or blued? BTW, my PT 1911 was $505 plus tax a year at the April Tyler Gun show.

:tiphat:

BigDaddyMac

Post by BigDaddyMac »

I have the Taurus PT1911B also. I bought it last fall at Cabela's for about $550 and they gave me a $150 gift card for my next purchase, which was some ammo and a holster (of course).

I am having a little trouble finding extra magazines for it though. Can anybody make some suggestions? I tried Kimber (which didn't seem to work at all), and Wilson Combat (which work, but I'm not convinced they're right). I can't seem to find anybody that actually sells the Taurus magazines.
Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.

BigDaddyMac

NRA/TSRA/GOA

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

BigDaddyMac wrote:I have the Taurus PT1911B also. I bought it last fall at Cabela's for about $550 and they gave me a $150 gift card for my next purchase, which was some ammo and a holster (of course).

I am having a little trouble finding extra magazines for it though. Can anybody make some suggestions? I tried Kimber (which didn't seem to work at all), and Wilson Combat (which work, but I'm not convinced they're right). I can't seem to find anybody that actually sells the Taurus magazines.
I've always had good luck with Chip McCormick mags http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/Default ... -4_8-16-32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I don't own a Taurus, but I would assume they would work as they are generic for the 1911's.

As for the OP's question, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major brand 1911's. As for my preference, I like Springfield Armory. Their pistols are great quality, reasonably priced and their service/support is second to none. They also carry a lifetime warranty on the pistol!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Can't go wrong with a Les Baer custom. :biggrinjester:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RPBrown wrote:Can't go wrong with a Les Baer custom. :biggrinjester:
"rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Oldgringo wrote:I have a Taurus PT 1911 with Heinie sights as stated. What is the difference between the various Taurus 1911's other than stainless or blued? BTW, my PT 1911 was $505 plus tax a year at the April Tyler Gun show.

:tiphat:
Nevermind :oops:

bridge
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bridge »

BigDaddyMac wrote:I have the Taurus PT1911B also. I bought it last fall at Cabela's for about $550 and they gave me a $150 gift card for my next purchase, which was some ammo and a holster (of course).

I got my PT1911 about a year ago...great gun. I've also got a colt combat commander and I can say the Taurus stacks up well against it. Shoots dirty blazer brass with little complaint. Regarding the mags, I've used my colt mags in the Taurus and vice versa with no problems. I even bought some cheapo 7rd 1911 mags off the net a while back and they work fine as well.

RKirby

Post by RKirby »

AndyC wrote:Rock Island Armory Tactical - around $500 new. It comes with a beavertail grip-safety, so you won't get hammerbite, and the sights are decent Novak-style which makes plinking easier (higher-profile than the tiny milspec sights).

Edit: The distributor in Vegas is legendary for their excellent customer-service, too.
What he said.^^

I own the officer's model of this gun and wouldn't take anything for it. Well, maybe not anything..but you get the idea, right? It's a regular member of my carry rotaion and I trust my safety and well being to this gun.

I will disagree with AndyC on one point, though..the Novak sites are next to worthless against a dark background. I plan on installing a set of XS Big Dots as soon as Obama sends me my bailout check. :evil2:

I don't know what they sell for now, but I paid $400 for mine about a year ago. But that was before gun and ammo prices went sky high.
"Superior firepower is an invaluable tool when entering into negotiations." - G. Patton

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”