I joined the 1911 club

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
JasonH
Posts in topic: 2

I joined the 1911 club

Post by JasonH »

I own quite a few rubbermaid handguns and I've always been given a bit of a hard time by a few of my greybeard buddies at the PSC range who swear by their 1911s.

I've been keeping an eye out for a steal on a budget 1911 for months now and last night noticed a little posting online from somebody wanting to sell their Taurus PT 1911. I met the guy today and am now officially part of the 1911 crew.

It ain't a Kimber, but I practically stole her and she seems tight and clean so I'm pretty happy. I had to post a picture to brag a bit.

Also, it has Hogue Grips. I'm assuming those were added at some later date? They feel great but I didn't know Taurus had them on their 1911s. Maybe one of you can clue me in.

Last edited by JasonH on Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I joined the 1911 club

Post by longtooth »

Welcome aboard. :thumbs2:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

RECIT

Post by RECIT »

The Academy in Sugar Land had plenty of .45 in stock but I did not look at the price.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

kd5zex

Post by kd5zex »

:thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

longhorn_92

Post by longhorn_92 »

It's always good to get a 1911 - but when you get a really great deal on them, it's well worth it!! I can promise you - it won't be your only 1911...
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

tfrazier

Post by tfrazier »

Whoohoo! Another convert!

I have a Kimber Eclipse Ultra II and now I'm looking to trade the wife's PX4Storm .40 (my former carry gun) for a 1911. Let me know how that Taurus does at the range.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Welcome to the dark side. :mrgreen:

My son has a PT1911 like yours, except his has the accessory rail. It is a very accurate pistol. You should get a lot of enjoyment out of yours.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Congrats!

I love mine, it's eaten everything I've fed it so far.

I usually will strip a new gun and thoroughly clean it before firing it, however, with the PT-1911, I ran a boresnake through it and took it shootin'. Ran 500 rounds of WWB through it with no failures.

I do also own a Kimber, and would trust my life to either of these firearms.

Again, congrats, have fun, it's a great shooter.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Hey, me too. Just got a PT1911 myself this past weekend at the gun show. I've been wanting one for a long time. I knew all that overtime was good for something!
Byron Dickens

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

welcome to the club.

you know, once you join this club, you can't leave :-)
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

ghostrider wrote:welcome to the club.

you know, once you join this club, you can't leave :-)
Yea, kinda like being in the Mob, (or a Home Owner's Association), once you're part of the Family, you're always part of the Family.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Topic author
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

I just gotta post an update that last night I spent a few hours on the bench breaking this down and putting it back together until I had a really good feel for it.

I can definitely see how a lot of the 1911 aficionados give the "tupperware" guns a hard time.

I also noticed a little Wilson Combat shock buffer or something like that. A little blue piece of plastic on the rod. Whether that's stock or somebody added it (along with the Hogue grips) is beyond me.

I can see how this would be addictive. I'm already really loving the concept of it and I haven't even fired a round off yet.

To you PT owners: Have you had much luck using other magazines? I want to pick up a few for it but I can get Wilson Combats for less than what I'm finding the Ruger mags for.

thankGod

Post by thankGod »

JasonH wrote: I can see how this would be addictive. I'm already really loving the concept of it and I haven't even fired a round off yet.
Yes they are addictive. You will have more. Be patient, be calm... wait a minute! I started talking to myself.
thankGod
NRA Life Member
TSRA
"Be watchful, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong." 1Cor16:13

Derekhie

Post by Derekhie »

thankGod wrote:
JasonH wrote:
Yes they are addictive. You will have more.
That's so true. I bought my first 1911, a Springer Loaded, about 3 weeks ago. I'm picking up my Kimber Pro Raptor II next week. I need help.
:fire

bridge

Post by bridge »

JasonH wrote:To you PT owners: Have you had much luck using other magazines? I want to pick up a few for it but I can get Wilson Combats for less than what I'm finding the Ruger mags for.
I haven't had any issues using colt mags or some cheapo 1911 mags I bought for $8 a piece.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”