1911 Carry Condition

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gigag04 »

Cocked and Locked, condition one, whatever else you wanna call it.

Only way to fly.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

progun47

Post by progun47 »

I've carried cocked and locked now for 36 years and have never had a problem, just remember.....finger OFF the trigger, until sights are ON the target.
"People cannot be effectually oppressed and enslaved, who are not FIRST DISARMED" Texas Supreme Court 1859 (Cockrum vs State)

"Son, you will die with the hammer down on that weapon." Jeff Cooper, Gunsite ranch 6/18/84

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

Condition 1. Always.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

txinvestigator wrote:I carry the way God inspired JMB to design the gun to be carried. Condition 1. Anything less makes it a club. ;)
I like that, txi.

I carry mine cocked and locked. I wasn't aware there was any other way.

revjen45
Posts in topic: 2

Post by revjen45 »

"And yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death I fear no evil, for I go cocked and locked." _ Psalm 1911
Better to perish in struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

C & L is the only way to carry a 1911. Been that way since I started.

And what's wrong with Glocks? Love my Glock as much as my 1911.

Oh man, hope that don't make me A GUN NUT
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

revjen45

Post by revjen45 »

GUN NUT is a perjorative term. I am a firearms enthusiast.
Better to perish in struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

revjen45 wrote:GUN NUT is a perjorative term. I am a firearms enthusiast.

GUN NUT is considered a "pejorative" term by certain Liberals, but who cares what they think. :smile:

If I happen to be feeling politically correct (which is almost never), I will refer to myself as being an Enthusiast, Affectionado, or whatever you like. But day in and day out, I'm just a plain 'ol "Gun Nut".
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

HOSSISFREE

Post by HOSSISFREE »

I don't own a 1911 yet, but I am certainly squirreling my $$ away to get one. In the mean time, I have come across an article from Concealed Carry Magazine that was posted on SmartCarry.com concerning the 1911 carry condition.

http://www.smartcarry.com/cocklock.htm

Hoss
..." it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." ~ Declaration of Independence!

Topic author
bauerdj
Posts in topic: 4

First 1911 Expierience

Post by bauerdj »

This really has nothing to do with carry condition but I thought I would like to share my first expierience with a 1911.

In the late sixties I was stationed overseas in the Philippines at a small communications station called San Miguel. I worked in a classified area which had a back door where soda deliveries were made by by local personnel. Our security proceedures required that whenever this door was opened someone must be stationed at the door with a loaded firearm.

Needles to say the firearm kept for this detail was not one of the newer or better maintained 45's.

On one occassion I got the firearm, inserted the magazine and racked the slide-----you guessed it BANG. Finger was nowhere near the trigger and gun was pointed in a safe direction (though there was a typewriter that was suddenly in need of MAJOR repairs) The 45 was imeediately replaced and an SOP written that required an inspection by an armorer every six months.

Anyway this perversly started my interest in handguns and I shortly thereafter became a member of the base pistol team and competed at local matches.

When I finished my Naval service I returned to NY - Nassau County which had the effect of putting my interest on hold for 35years until I moved to Texas last September.

Dave B.

KBCraig
Banned

Re: First 1911 Expierience

Post by KBCraig »

bauerdj wrote:This really has nothing to do with carry condition but I thought I would like to share my first expierience with a 1911.
Reminds me of my first experience with a USGI 1911.

I had just arrived at my first permanent duty station, Downs Barracks in Fulda, FRG. Home of the prestigious 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment.

Being a redleg, I was assigned to Howitzer Battery, 1/11 ACR. Two days after I landed, the unit went to the field (not unusual, since we spent about 250 days per year in the field). I was bumbling through "in country familiarization", or whatever they called it, and spending the rest of my work days at the (empty) battery HQ, trying to put together a good set of maps, learn where the latrines were, etc., while serving as "Rear Ops OIC".

The building in question was a captured WWII German barracks, with high ceilings, tall doors, three stories tall, and one heckuva draft when all the windows were open. It was just like my college dorm in that regard. Since this was August, all the windows were open, and doors would close with great gusto if not carefully controlled.

I'm sitting there around 1500 in the FDO room, trying to stay awake on a lazy afternoon, when the hallway reverberates with a loud BLAM! I thought it was a door slamming at first, then it dawned on me... that was way too loud for a door!

I stepped into the hall, just as my "Rear Ops NCOIC" was about to break free from his frozen position. Said position being just inches from a big divot in the concrete wall, directly adjacent to his right ear. And "about to break free" meaning, "I stepped out just in time to stop him from pummelling the CQ", who was sitting at the CQ desk with a smoking 1911.

In the end, here's what happened: the battery commander (the only one assigned a pistol in the entire battery) allowed the CQ to draw his pistol, rather than an unwieldy M16. Our intrepid CQ didn't have the faintest idea how to operate a 1911. I don't know how he did it, but he fired a round through the CQ desk, which then riocheted off the floor, and ricocheted again off the wall next to the NCOIC's ear.

I got to learn a lot that day, about clearing a 1911, and reporting major incidents.

:shock:

Kevin

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”