.22 long rifle ammunition

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Papabear37
Posts in topic: 7

.22 long rifle ammunition

Post by Papabear37 »

Anyone know a good local source for .22 lr ammo?

caldvn
Posts in topic: 1

Re: .22 long rifle ammunition

Post by caldvn »

Walmart, I-10 Katy, I saw Federal 550 round 22 for 13.57?
If my posts sounds like I got a monkey on my back... it's actually a gorilla. Just don't get offended. :)

Commander Cody
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Commander Cody »

In Galveston the Walmart and Academy had them last time I was in. About a week ago.
Last edited by Commander Cody on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

boomerang
Posts in topic: 2

Post by boomerang »

There was a dry spell a month or two ago but recently Walmart has some .22LR every time I look.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

FlynJay

Post by FlynJay »

It seems like most of the dry spell is over (with ammo anyway). I have noticed bricks of federal bulk packs the last couple of times I have been in there. Of course I picked up three for my own dwindling supply :hurry:
IANAL, what I write should not be taken as Legal Advice.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."

Topic author
Papabear37

Post by Papabear37 »

Thanks to all. I guess I missed the obvious places!

FlynJay

Post by FlynJay »

That is the only reason I go to walmart. That and odorless mineral spirits.
IANAL, what I write should not be taken as Legal Advice.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 9

Post by seamusTX »

Neither Academy nor Wal-Mart in Galveston had .22LR as of 3 p.m. Tuesday. They both had very little handgun ammo, just uncommon stuff like .32.

A got a box of bottom-of-the-barrel unplated .22LR two weeks ago for what CCI MiniMags used to cost -- around $30 for 500.

I am angrier than I can say about the hoarding that is going on. I normally buy about a month's supply at a time. Trying to be a good citizen has done me no good at all in this situation.

No more Mr. Nice Guy. I am going to start riding my bike to Academy every morning and buy everything I can the next time I find it. :mad5

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Topic author
Papabear37

Post by Papabear37 »

Jim,
It really is an absurd mess. Too bad we are forced to join the hoarders in order to have anything to shoot. On the other hand, I have never been impressed in either Walmart or Academy in Galveston, especially Academy.
Vern

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

seamusTX wrote:Neither Academy nor Wal-Mart in Galveston had .22LR as of 3 p.m. Tuesday. They both had very little handgun ammo, just uncommon stuff like .32.

A got a box of bottom-of-the-barrel unplated .22LR two weeks ago for what CCI MiniMags used to cost -- around $30 for 500.

I am angrier than I can say about the hoarding that is going on. I normally buy about a month's supply at a time. Trying to be a good citizen has done me no good at all in this situation.

No more Mr. Nice Guy. I am going to start riding my bike to Academy every morning and buy everything I can the next time I find it. :mad5

- Jim
I feel your pain. I now have more handgun and .22 ammo (not 1,000's of rounds) in hand than at any other time in my life.

I'll say this for Wal-Mart, every one I've been in lately (quite a few) does have a 6 box per customer sign posted and they have held their pre-Obama prices on what little inventory they may have. You just have to be there when the ammo is because it doesn't stay on the shelf.

Similarly, I was able to buy 600 primers last week in Cortez, CO by going to a gun store and getting the allowed 200 per day.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Ever since Academy opened in Galveston, I have been able to get the ammo that I want 99% of the time, and their prices are lower than any others that I can find on the Web.

I went to Wal-Mart a couple of times because Academy did not have the shotgun ammo that I wanted. You have to wait in line behind people getting fishing licenses, and the clerks that I encountered did not have a clue. It took me 30 minutes to get in and out of there once.

- Jim

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

It's unfortunate what is happening with ammo. Being out of work, I have no excess money for buying up ammo.

My last range trip required a late night of visiting all of the Wal-Marts on one end of town until I found one where the stocker was JUST pulling out the boxes to stock the ammo. At the the 4th store I visited, there was ONE case of WWB bulk packs to pull from, and my tight budget meant I could only afford one box. I have no doubt that all of that 9mm (and the partial case of .40 that I saw) was gone before mid-morning. .22LR was nowhere to be had except in tiny packs of stingers and the like.

Unfortunately, that last range trip was way back in May, and it was a new shooter trip. While I did do a little moving and shooting with my carry gun (at my new shooter's behest), I've not had a proper range session for myself since late March, as practice ammo had become so difficult to come by and I cannot justify to myself to buy the overpriced leftovers (fiocchi, etc.) after everything else has been picked cliean.

I'm glad to hear that things are getting a little less scarce. I'm in acute need of some ammo (.22LR and otherwise) for my next range session, and it's good to hear that it no longer requires an extended search around town in the wee hours of the morning to find. Good to hear that it's Federal .22LR that's become available. I still refuse to buy Remington GB due to its terrible rate of failure.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

NcongruNt wrote:It's unfortunate what is happening with ammo. Being out of work, I have no excess money for buying up ammo.

My last range trip required a late night of visiting all of the Wal-Marts on one end of town until I found one where the stocker was JUST pulling out the boxes to stock the ammo. At the the 4th store I visited, there was ONE case of WWB bulk packs to pull from, and my tight budget meant I could only afford one box. I have no doubt that all of that 9mm (and the partial case of .40 that I saw) was gone before mid-morning. .22LR was nowhere to be had except in tiny packs of stingers and the like.

Unfortunately, that last range trip was way back in May, and it was a new shooter trip. While I did do a little moving and shooting with my carry gun (at my new shooter's behest), I've not had a proper range session for myself since late March, as practice ammo had become so difficult to come by and I cannot justify to myself to buy the overpriced leftovers (fiocchi, etc.) after everything else has been picked cliean.

I'm glad to hear that things are getting a little less scarce. I'm in acute need of some ammo (.22LR and otherwise) for my next range session, and it's good to hear that it no longer requires an extended search around town in the wee hours of the morning to find. Good to hear that it's Federal .22LR that's become available. I still refuse to buy Remington GB due to its terrible rate of failure.

Good luck and God Bless in both your search for work and bullets.

FWIW, when I do find brick .22's at Wal-Mart, it has been Win Hi-Vel HP's in the $13 range.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

In-stock but pricey, 5000 rounds of Federal Classic High-Velocity Game-Shok .22LR 40-gr copper-plated solid-point, $275 plus shipping, about $13 to Texas:

http://www.1fb.us/feclhivega222.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you think of it in terms of 100 rounds a week, it's not so bad.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Topic author
Papabear37

Post by Papabear37 »

Jim,
Thanks for the tip. What I need is sub-sonic or standard 40 gm rounds (less than 1150 feet/second) for Silouhette competition. I'm very new to that game but am told that high velocity rounds do not do well for this kind of competition. I'm not in a big hurry as I will be out of the country for about three months. Maybe people will have come to their senses by then!. By the way, that isn't a bad price for 5000 rounds.
Vern

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”