Apartment Fire Marshall Inspection??

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
DrinkRaiderade
Posts in topic: 5

Apartment Fire Marshall Inspection??

Post by DrinkRaiderade »

Okay, so my wife and I have lived in an apartment in Dallas for the past 2 years. I received a notice from the Apartment Management today that the City of Dallas Fire Marshall will be inspecting our complex in a little over a week and will be entering apartments looking for "violations" (faulty smoke detectors, blocked windows in bedrooms, broken/missing faceplates, extension cords, cords running across walkways, etc.) If a violation is found our complex says we will be fined (I dont know if this is from the Fire Marshall or the complex).

Here are my concerns:

1) I dont like ANYONE in my home while I am not there, especially since I own firearms (along with a lot of other valuables) (I know that maintenence comes in periodically, but I am usually home when they do)
2) I dont get the feeling that my apartment complex is "firearm friendly" I dont really want the management, maintainence men, or the fire marshall seeing my gun safe and getting any ideas.
3) I dont like the idea of someone coming into my home to "search" for "violations" without a warrant.

So, my question is, do I have to consent to this search if it is required by management? There is a line in my lease that I believe puts me behind the eight-ball:

WHEN WE MAY ENTER:
or showing
apartment to government representatives for the limited purpose
of determining housing and fire ordinance compliance,

I have already decided that I am moving out when my lease ends in October, but do you guys think that there is anything I can do to keep them out? Or should I just throw a sheet over the safe and put some decorations on top (like my wife suggested).

Opinions appreciated...
Applied Online 02/03/2009
Took CHL Course 02/07/2009
Packet & PIN Arrived 02/17/2009
Mailed Packet (Certified) 02/18/2009
Packet Received by DPS 02/19/2009
Online Status Changed to Processing Application 03/13/2009
Application Complete 05/28/2009
Plastic in Hand 06/03/2009 (104 days)

FlynJay
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Apartment Fire Marshall Inspection??

Post by FlynJay »

The apartment complex has the right (by your lease agreement) to enter your unit for fire inspection. The complex is responsible for providing a safe living environment for all the residents, and can be held liable if there was a fire and the units were not up to code (even by fault of the residents).

Put a bed sheet over the safe, at least they won't see it and will just think you're weird.
IANAL, what I write should not be taken as Legal Advice.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."

dicion

Post by dicion »

If it's in your lease, and you signed it, It looks like you have to comply.

Do the sheet thing, use something like 'My Little Pony' sheets or something. Noone would ever think there was a gun safe under that! "rlol"

joe817
Posts in topic: 4

Post by joe817 »

I agree with the others. If there is an inspection clause contained in the lease the management company has the right to inspect your premises. I've seen many, many lease agreements when I was a real estate broker, and every lease I saw contained that clause. Sorry to say, you must abide by the terms of the lease.

It's the Fire Marshal who informs the property owner that they are going to conduct an inspection of the premises in almost all cases. Sometimes advance warning is given, a day or so in advance. Quite often(this is especially true for commercial buildings) they just show up unannounced.

Is your safe in your closet? If so, there's a slight chance they may not even inspect the closet......but that's no guarantee by any means. I vote for putting a sheet over it, and try to decorate it to make it appear it's a piece of furniture.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

roberts
Banned

Post by roberts »

Forget about building equity and the tax breaks. Privacy is the best reason to own a home.
THE SECOND AMENDMENT IS NOT ABOUT DUCK HUNTING

joe817

Post by joe817 »

roberts wrote:Forget about building equity and the tax breaks. Privacy is the best reason to own a home.
I totally agree.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
DrinkRaiderade

Post by DrinkRaiderade »

Roberts---We personally would LOVE to own a home, but since we are both in Graduate School, that really is not a possibility right now. Hopefully our education one day will pay off and allow us to afford to buy a home! But we are both in healthcare, so if Obama gets a hold of us, we may end up not having two dimes to rub together, especially as we start to pay back student loans!

joe817

Post by joe817 »

D.R. that day of home ownership will come, I assure you. It's just a matter of time.

Another option is a duplex, or renting a home. Are those viable options? If so, it's something worth considering, IMO.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
DrinkRaiderade

Post by DrinkRaiderade »

;-) Joe-That's what I'm doing in October! The owner of that house is very gun friendly considering he taught me how to shoot and bought me my very first firearm! Gotta love Grandparents!

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Excellent!! Congrats! It will give you all the freedom you deserve! And October is just around the corner. :clapping:

And yes, we grandparents ARE a good invention! "rlol"

And you have a built in shooting partner when you all go to the range! Good show.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

D.R.,

You'll be fine...Fire Marshalls are doing you a service...They are looking at everything to mitigate potential and obvious causes for fire in your complex...Apartment fires were some of the worst things I ever had to do in my district...And anything that can be identified and corrected to safeguard the entire complex is better for everyone...

Now, considering your concerns for your privacy...Don't sweat it...They are not looking for guns...That doesn't mean I would leave things out for people to discover if you are not there...I don't believe you will, since you have the gunsafe available...I wouldn't even bother covering the thing up with a sheet...Even though that is a cute idea, it won't matter...

Just make sure everything is locked up and secure...The leasing agent, or even manager of the complex, is probably not that sharp, or interested, in knowing exactly what that big piece of furniture is, wherever you placed it in the apartment...

So you have a big "safe" in there...You have a lot of valuables you wish to be secured, and what is in there is none of anyones business, lots of people buy gunsafes because of their size, and not necessarily use them to secure guns...

(just a random thought/comment there)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

stevie_d_64 wrote:D.R.,

You'll be fine...Fire Marshalls are doing you a service...They are looking at everything to mitigate potential and obvious causes for fire in your complex...Apartment fires were some of the worst things I ever had to do in my district...And anything that can be identified and corrected to safeguard the entire complex is better for everyone...

Now, considering your concerns for your privacy...Don't sweat it...They are not looking for guns...That doesn't mean I would leave things out for people to discover if you are not there...I don't believe you will, since you have the gunsafe available...I wouldn't even bother covering the thing up with a sheet...Even though that is a cute idea, it won't matter...

Just make sure everything is locked up and secure...The leasing agent, or even manager of the complex, is probably not that sharp, or interested, in knowing exactly what that big piece of furniture is, wherever you placed it in the apartment...

So you have a big "safe" in there...You have a lot of valuables you wish to be secured, and what is in there is none of anyones business, lots of people buy gunsafes because of their size, and not necessarily use them to secure guns...

(just a random thought/comment there)
I'm with Stevie, and just another random thought, the sheet might tempt them to look under it, causing them to wonder what you have to hide. I would leave the safe uncovered.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Topic author
DrinkRaiderade

Post by DrinkRaiderade »

Stevie...please check your Messages...Thanks!

mr fixit
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr fixit »

I'm a fire fighter in a suburb of Dallas, although not in the fire marshals office. I understand how you feel, but I would say don't worry. The fire inspector is looking to make sure the alarm systems have not been tampered with and are in your apt. They are also looking to make sure there are no unauthorized openings in the walls and ceilings that have not been repaired by the management.

As far as what is in your apartment, they (we) don't really look. They will notice if there are any meth lab equipment there, or any hibachi grills in the living room. Other than that, they won't really care about your personal belongings.

Mr Fixit
Check out my blog: The Fixit Shop

E10

Post by E10 »

I'm sure they've found lots worse things than evidence of gun ownership.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”