Kimber Ultra CDP? What do you think?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
DragonKat
Posts in topic: 1

Kimber Ultra CDP? What do you think?

Post by DragonKat »

I'm toying with the idea of saving up for a Kimber Ultra CDP. I've heard both good and bad about Kimbers in general, it seems like you either love them or hate them. I've never shot a .45 caliber before so I'm really leary (sp) about putting up that big of an investment when I have no idea if I'll like it or not. Right now I regularly carry a Glock 26 (9mm).

What do you all think? I'd like to hear both the good and the bad.

bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

Find a place where you can ent one to try it first. Failing that maybe someone on this board who has one will let you try it.

Dave B.

dws1117
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dws1117 »

Welcome to the forum DragonKat.

Kimbers are very good guns. Sure there are some that have problems, but that is with any manufacturer. I had a Kimber Ultra Carry, it's the cheaper version and it was a great gun. I had no problems at all. There are a few on this board that have the Ultra CDP and really like them.

On the scond point, don't be intimidated by the .45. It is a good round and doesn't recoil like most think. In fact I think it is easier to shoot than say a .40, but that's just my opinion. Smaller guns tend to recoil a bit more than thier big brothers, but not much.

I see that your in Willis. I'm just a bit down I-45 and would be happy to let you shoot my 1911. It is a full sized gun and not a compact, but it would give you some idea of what recoil is like.

Reysc

Post by Reysc »

Just like you, my ccw is a G26...Untill I got the 1911 bug ( got it on this board) I never owned a 1911..I was intimated by my perceived .45 acp recoil and kick. Couple months ago I bought a NIB Kimber Custon II. Due to the encouragement of a regular here, I finally took it to the range yesterday and fired 30 rounds thru it..I can't believe it but it's the most pleasant shooting gun I ever fired!! Accuracy..WOW!! I put all the 30 rounds in the shaded area at 15 ft... :grin: I have the target paper and will mpost it soon. Now, this of course is a full size 1911 and I'm sure the shorter carry versions won't be as "docile" in your hands. I'm a 1911 believer now! Research well and get one you wont regret it..

PPM
Posts in topic: 6

Post by PPM »

Since you asked...

Beautiful, accurate, wonderful feel, perfect for carry...BUT...

My friend and I bought ours at the gunshow and HER extractor was so loose that she was havin' lots of FTEs. Hull in the chamber and a round on the way in! She just got hers back from the factory after only 8 days. But hasn't shot it yet. We'd both run LESS than 300 rounds through 'em!!

MINE...is another story! Son watched as I shot and noted that almost every ejection went over my right shoulder. The ones that didn't go THERE...hit me in the FOREHEAD! (About 1 out of every 15 or so)

After sending a letter to the president and VP of the company (registered)...and getting NO REPLY...I finally sent MINE in. So, we'll see whether I get a $1,000 gun back...or the dangerous thing that I returned to the Custom Shop for repairs! They pride themselves on the quality of their guns. Not so in our cases, I don't think. If they'd take the time to tune the extractors...and TEST FIRE THEM w/25 rounds (a PERSON...not a machine who doesn't know where the hulls are fallin') perhaps there wouldn't have been a problem!

Let's see....two out of two went back to the factory. If I'd known how WIDE-SPREAD the extractor problem was...I wouldn't have bought it. So...The decision is yours. Good luck! Hope this helps.
PPM
(Pistol Packin' Momma)
Otherwise known as "Dickson"
Thunder Tactical Shooters

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

I don't think you can pick to where the empty casings eject. ???
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

PPM
Posts in topic: 6

Post by PPM »

I'd prefer that the spent shell NOT hit me in the face! Think you'd agree that could be dangerous if I actually have to shoot it on the street...withOUT glasses. There'd be a 1 out of 15 chance that I'll get hit...perhaps in the EYE!

Son tested it and announced and demonstrated that the round was held VERY tightly in the gun....to the point of being hard to remove.
PPM
(Pistol Packin' Momma)
Otherwise known as "Dickson"
Thunder Tactical Shooters

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

txinvestigator wrote:I don't think you can pick to where the empty casings eject. ???
You can adjust the extractor tension and spring weights to get it to move somewhat. You can get it to move even more by shaping the extractor.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I really enjoy my Ultra CDP. It's been 100% trouble free from day one as well as being lightweight and accurate. It's one of my favorites and the only compact 1911 I own. It will outshoot both my Champion and Commander. :cool:

I've got Corbon 185gr +P DPX in it now and it's proven totally reliable and hits point of aim. :twisted:
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

The Marshal

Kimber.....Range stopper

Post by The Marshal »

Don't get a Kimber!!

You'll just get mad every time you go to the range. People will keep hounding you to let them see your gun. And its a boring gun, what with it going bang everytime you pull the trigger thingie.
And don't get me started on the irritation of shooting the 8 rounds and only seeing 1-3 holes on the paper. Let me tell you, it is a real yawner putting the successive shots thru the same hole!

You'll find yourself being a jerk on the range with your friends like I did, telling them things like "Hey XXXXXX, that new .40 Glock of yours is real nice. But that little white bullseye is just mocking you after those last 5 magazines. Whatcha say you let me step in your lane with my pistol and make it shut up?"

Nosir, I wouldn't tell you to buy a 1911. Then you would blame us for your 2nd and 3rd one as well.

Oh, and its a crummy gun that requires you get a soundproof box, so you can be safe from the "Shoot me....SHOOT ME..." calling it does at night.

I got to testfire an UltraCarry ( I wanted one purty bad) and I can tell you that the small Kimber shot just as good as my Warrior at 15 yds.
If I was going to get one*, I have decided it would be the Tactical Ultra.
Loaded, and has the "WhatareyoulookingatPurtyBoy?" smirk all over it! ;-)

~Bill

*Yeah right. I am going to convince the CFO that I need a 2nd $1000 pistol? Not in this calendar year. Heheh. Actually, I went with the XD 9SC, AND had money left over to get my CHL license and go shootin!
Priorities; a man's gotta have em. Plus, I HAVE a Kimber .45 :grin:

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Another + for the K. I had a Compac CDP & carried it for 4 yr. Many rds ????down range w/ no problems. I now have 2 Kimbers. Both Commander size. Both flawless too. Have let several shoot that wanted to know something of 1911s in general & Ks in particular. In or around Lufkin you are also welcome to shoot it. I will furnish the range, & ammo (w/in a reasonable # :lol: ) You will not have a problem w/ the recoil. My wife & Mother both have shot mine & neither have a problem w/ the recoil. Just the size for their hands. Good hunting.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

I will furnish the range, & ammo (w/in a reasonable :lol: )

WOO HOO!! I'll be there soon. I promise to stop around 500 rounds.

ElGato
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ElGato »

Three Kimber's and carry the Ultra a lot, I love them, they are as good as my Sig's
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

ElGato wrote:Three Kimber's and carry the Ultra a lot, I love them, they are as good as my Sig's
Did he just compare a 1911 to a Sig? Cough, Cough.

AS punish ment you'll need to turn over all of your 1911s to me.

Just kidding, I know Sigs a fantastic guns.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

dws what about Sat afternoon the 1st. He who has his own gun & ammo needeth not to borrow. :lol:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”