fun afternoon at the range

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mr.72
Posts in topic: 1

fun afternoon at the range

Post by mr.72 »

Three of us went to the private range for some fun and practice on Saturday.

We brought:
mine: Kahr CW9, S&W SW9VE, Ruger LCP, Marlin 795SS
friend#1: Springfield 1911, Sig Mosquito, old Remington .22 rifle, Mosin-Nagant 1891/30 (fresh off the shipping truck)
friend#2: Taurus PT92, 2x Mosin-Nagant 1891/30s (fresh off the shipping truck)

Idea was to get in some practice with the pistols and test-fire the Mosins, hoping to sight them in @ 100 yards.

Pistol practice went well. The guys dug the LCP and were wowed at that kind of firepower in such a small package, and shot it relatively reliably. My fresh-from-RMA Kahr performed flawlessly.

Had fun with trick shots at 15 yards with my Marlin... shooting 9mm brass poked through holes in the corkboard, etc.

Tried to "sight in" the Mosins, which was an exercise in futility from 100 yards. However I managed two good 6" 10-shot groups at 100 yards with my little Marlin. We couldn't tell where any of the shots from the Mosins were going, trying to hit 2' x 2' rifle targets at 100 yards. Not one single shot on the paper from any of them. Would have moved in closer to sight-in the Mosins but it was raining and shooting out from under the covered 100yd bench didn't feel like much fun.
non-conformist CHL holder

arnoldstrong

Re: fun afternoon at the range

Post by arnoldstrong »

Nice...there may be nothing better than a day at the range with friends!!
CHL Class: 08/01/09
Mailed App: 08/03/09
Packet returned: 08/22/09
Packet Re-Mailed: 08/24/09
PIN Received via E-mail: 09/08/09
Processing Application: 09/15/09
Application Completed: 09/24/09
Plastic in hand: 09/28/09

TX CHL Holder
NRA Member
Glock Enthusiast (G-19 G-26)

Mithras61

Post by Mithras61 »

Hitting anything with a Mosin is purely a matter of luck. The real point is to blind & deafen your target, possibly stunning them as well, so that you can run up & shoot them with something actually effective! :biggrinjester:

TDDude

Post by TDDude »

Mithras61 wrote:Hitting anything with a Mosin is purely a matter of luck. The real point is to blind & deafen your target, possibly stunning them as well, so that you can run up & shoot them with something actually effective! :biggrinjester:
The idea is to stun them and then get to bayonet range - 15-20 yards.
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

Mithras61 wrote:Hitting anything with a Mosin is purely a matter of luck. The real point is to blind & deafen your target, possibly stunning them as well, so that you can run up & shoot them with something actually effective! :biggrinjester:
I have a deer in the freezer that I took down while it was running that begs to disagree with you. Also, several hundred orange clays that I busted at 100+y that can vouch for my 91/30.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind with accuracy and the Mosin-Nagant.

1) The condition of your bore. A worn-out bore is going to shoot inconsistently. There are lots of these guns with worn-out bores. Apparently, they commonly range between .311 and .313 in their size. The bore on my M44 is not in nearly as good shape as my 91/30, and is nowhere near as accurate.

2) The Mosin-Nagant rifles have a shorter stock than most of us in the west are used to. Because of this, as well as the serious recoil and unpadded butt, it takes a considerable amount of practice to become consistent with the gun. I know it did for me. A flinch is pretty much inevitable, and you have to work to minimize or eliminate it.

3) The furniture tends to loosen up a bit as you shoot. Check your stock screws to see if they've backed out any. If possible, put some threadlocker on the screws to keep this from happening. Loose furniture will make your shots end up all over the place.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”