"30.06" at Amarillo Gun Show

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
flb_78
Posts in topic: 4

"30.06" at Amarillo Gun Show

Post by flb_78 »

This is the sign posted at every gun show at the Civic Center in Amarillo. They also has a couple little signs that say "Concealed Carry banned by City Ordinance" or something similar.
Attachments
02-21-10_1534.jpg
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: "30.06" at Amarillo Gun Show

Post by Beiruty »

This is not a valid 30.06, nevertheless, it is an effective notice to the reader. Gun shows where i have been have police officers at the door to secure your CC with a zip tie. I step aside retriever from smart carry, make safe and zip tie and store the ammo and magazines in the car.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

I know it's not a legal sign. I carried right by it and the officers at the door.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chabouk
Banned

Post by chabouk »

flb_78 wrote:I know it's not a legal sign. I carried right by it and the officers at the door.
:thumbs2:

martywj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by martywj »

Don't know about the show there, but the show here in Ft Worth is also posted 30.06. Whether the sign legal or not, notice was given. Concealed Carry is not allowed. They kept making announcements about over the PA system. So if you carried with a loaded weapon past the sign and police officers zip tying weapons, you carried illegally.
Marty

If I have to explain, you won't understand.

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

Aren't all guns shows posted in someway? :headscratch
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

martywj wrote:Don't know about the show there, but the show here in Ft Worth is also posted 30.06. Whether the sign legal or not, notice was given. Concealed Carry is not allowed. They kept making announcements about over the PA system. So if you carried with a loaded weapon past the sign and police officers zip tying weapons, you carried illegally.
Someone help me out. Why the intensity? Signs, announcements, thats a lot of effort. :confused5

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Well slap me silly and call me Obama....but I don't understand how "notice was given" and that be legit? If so, why isn't the gunbuster signs and "No guns, legals or illegal" serving as "notice given?"
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chartreuse

Post by chartreuse »

wgoforth wrote:Well slap me silly and call me Obama....but I don't understand how "notice was given" and that be legit? If so, why isn't the gunbuster signs and "No guns, legals or illegal" serving as "notice given?"
Statute allows for a compliant sign or verbal notice. The sign may have been incorrect, but the announcements would constitute verbal notice.

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

chartreuse wrote:
wgoforth wrote:Well slap me silly and call me Obama....but I don't understand how "notice was given" and that be legit? If so, why isn't the gunbuster signs and "No guns, legals or illegal" serving as "notice given?"
Statute allows for a compliant sign or verbal notice. The sign may have been incorrect, but the announcements would constitute verbal notice.
Yes, the verbal I understand, but Beiruty stated: "This is not a valid 30.06, nevertheless, it is an effective notice to the reader." That is the aspect I don't understand.
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

wgoforth wrote:
chartreuse wrote:
Yes, the verbal I understand, but Beiruty stated: "This is not a valid 30.06, nevertheless, it is an effective notice to the reader." That is the aspect I don't understand.
IANAL, but I believe the difference is notice and LEGAL notice. You receive notice by any sign that indicates they don't want you to have a firearm at that location, but they cannot have you arrested for criminal trespass without legal notice. Legal notice is either a valid 30.06 sign, oral notification or written notice handed to you in person in the form of the 30.06 language. If you meet that criteria, then you have been given legal notice.

Someone correct me if I am off base here.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

martywj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by martywj »

I am a newbie to this CC thing and to this forum so If I don't do this right or upset someone forgive.

I believe whether the sign is legal or illegal would be your defense in court. As far as being arrest for carrying where you aren't supposed to, from what I have read on this forum you can be arrsted for just about anything the cops want to arrest you for. Whether it will stick or not is up to your lawyer.

Now some of you may have unlimited resources for bail bondsman, lawyer fees, and for taking off work to go the court. But I do not. So if see a 30.06 sign it is legal or illegal, or they tell I can't carry a loaded firearm into the gun show. I am also told I need to step over to the table to let the nice officer check my weapon, I am going to do it. Then I will reload it when I leave.
Marty

If I have to explain, you won't understand.

Diesel42

Post by Diesel42 »

frazzled wrote: Someone help me out. Why the intensity? Signs, announcements, thats a lot of effort. :confused5
IMHO... Signs, verbal announcements, and two cops at the door checking the guns makes it very clear that everyone wants to be assured there will be no accidental discharges. I attend the shows in Dallas and Fort Worth because they are fun and informative. The aisles are crowded and I can't count the number of times someone has "accidentally" pointed a weapon at me.

Most folks are alert to safety. Still, when I see a zip tie, I know that weapon can not fire. I am very comfortable disarming for a gun show. Gun shows are just too many people of unknown potential handling guns in a crowded environment. My visits to my gunsmith are different. Fewer people and less distracting behavior. Everyone is armed and there have been no accidental discharges.

My two cents... hope that helps,
Nick
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

martywj wrote:I am a newbie to this CC thing and to this forum so If I don't do this right or upset someone forgive.

I believe whether the sign is legal or illegal would be your defense in court. As far as being arrest for carrying where you aren't supposed to, from what I have read on this forum you can be arrsted for just about anything the cops want to arrest you for. Whether it will stick or not is up to your lawyer.

Now some of you may have unlimited resources for bail bondsman, lawyer fees, and for taking off work to go the court. But I do not. So if see a 30.06 sign it is legal or illegal, or they tell I can't carry a loaded firearm into the gun show. I am also told I need to step over to the table to let the nice officer check my weapon, I am going to do it. Then I will reload it when I leave.
I think you have hot the proverbial nail on the head.
NRA Life Member

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Diesel42 wrote:
frazzled wrote: Someone help me out. Why the intensity? Signs, announcements, thats a lot of effort. :confused5
IMHO... Signs, verbal announcements, and two cops at the door checking the guns makes it very clear that everyone wants to be assured there will be no accidental discharges. I attend the shows in Dallas and Fort Worth because they are fun and informative. The aisles are crowded and I can't count the number of times someone has "accidentally" pointed a weapon at me.

Most folks are alert to safety. Still, when I see a zip tie, I know that weapon can not fire. I am very comfortable disarming for a gun show. Gun shows are just too many people of unknown potential handling guns in a crowded environment. My visits to my gunsmith are different. Fewer people and less distracting behavior. Everyone is armed and there have been no accidental discharges.

My two cents... hope that helps,
Nick
I agree you have people swinging guns around carelessly...but as long as it is chl, it isn't even displayed. A gun show is a perfect place for a guy to buy a gun or ten at one table, ammo at another.... load em up, shoot em off. Sorry, but I don't want to then remove zip tie, load a magazine to be ready to return fire.
NRA Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”