Flying with a gun(special question)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
74novaman
Posts in topic: 4

Flying with a gun(special question)

Post by 74novaman »

The Fiance and I are flying to Colorado for a wedding reception, and then driving back down to Texas in a Uhaul bringing some furniture to the new house. I've already checked handgunlaw.us for relevant travel information, looked through the TSA and Airline guidelines and feel pretty good about checking the firearm in Texas.

If I'm going to drive a Uhaul from Colorado to Texas I'd feel more comfortable being able to carry on the drive.

The future father in law, while a very nice man, is a California raised college prof who's stance on guns I'm taking a very educated guess is "ill informed" at best, if not "wildly irrationally afraid of" at worse.

My question is this: What's the procedure for picking up a firearm? Does it just arrive in the carousel in your checked luggage(I'm definitely putting the locked hard case in a nondescript larger bag for travel) so I can just pick it up? Or do I have to go visit with someone to pick it up?

I just really don't want to deal with any awkward questions when the Future Father in Law picks us up from the airport.

Thanks in advance.
TANSTAAFL

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Flying with a gun(special question)

Post by srothstein »

Don't worry. The gun will still be in the bag, just as you checked it and he will only know if you tell him.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

srothstein wrote:Don't worry. The gun will still be in the bag, just as you checked it and he will only know if you tell him.
So it just pops up on the carousel? I don't know whether to feel relieved or more worried....now I'm thinking about somebody mistakenly grabbing my bag as theirs and my gun disapprearing.... :headscratch
TANSTAAFL

ES4Me
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ES4Me »

Glad you posted the question, 74novaman. I was about to get on here and post a couple of questions re: flying with firearms and you asked one that I was wondering. I am flying to Alabama tomorrow morning for work and thank heavens it appears I am good to go!

As for someone else grabbing your bag, just tie an obnoxious ribbon, scarf, bandana, etc. on the handle so it clearly stands out on the carousel. I travel with plain, nondescript black luggage and am planning to do just that with mine so I can spot it as soon as it comes down the chute.

Good luck on your trip to Colorado and be safe!
CHL Class - 08/22/09
App Mailed to DPS - 09/16/09
Recv'd by DPS - 09/17/09
Processing App - 11/11/09
Plastic in Hand - 12/26/09

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

ES4Me wrote:Glad you posted the question, 74novaman. I was about to get on here and post a couple of questions re: flying with firearms and you asked one that I was wondering. I am flying to Alabama tomorrow morning for work and thank heavens it appears I am good to go!

As for someone else grabbing your bag, just tie an obnoxious ribbon, scarf, bandana, etc. on the handle so it clearly stands out on the carousel. I travel with plain, nondescript black luggage and am planning to do just that with mine so I can spot it as soon as it comes down the chute.

Good luck on your trip to Colorado and be safe!
Thanks for the advice. I found the "travel" tabs on the top of handgunlaw.us very helpful...links to TSA and specific airline pages regarding their firearms policies. Have an enjoyable and safe trip to 'Bama as well! :tiphat:
TANSTAAFL

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

74novaman wrote:So it just pops up on the carousel?
That's always been the case for me. So far.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

tomc

Post by tomc »

74novaman wrote:... My question is this: What's the procedure for picking up a firearm? Does it just arrive in the carousel in your checked luggage(I'm definitely putting the locked hard case in a nondescript larger bag for travel) so I can just pick it up? Or do I have to go visit with someone to pick it up? ...
Thanks in advance.
The hassle, minimal at best, only occurrs at check-in. There, you have to declare the unloaded firearm with the check-in attendant. You will then have to fill out an unloaded firearm declaration card and put it in with the locked firearm case inside your luggage. You may have to open the firearm case to show the check-in attendant that the firearm is unloaded, then you lock it back up and will probably be asked to walk your luggage over to the TSA screening area where you will tell the TSA agent that you have a declared unloaded firearm in your luggage. He will probably ask you to wait until the luggage goes through the x-ray screening machine when, if no problem is detected, the agent will tell you to proceed to the gate and have a nice flight. Generally, if you just do as they ask, you should have no problem

Once you arrive at your destination, you will just collect your luggage at the baggage carousel and leave the terminal with no other interaction with security.

Since you will be driving back, there should be no other reason to declare your firearm to anyone unless you are pulled over for a traffic stop and the state you are in requires that you notify the officer.

Have a good trip.
be safe,
be prepared,
tomc

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

74novaman wrote:
srothstein wrote:Don't worry. The gun will still be in the bag, just as you checked it and he will only know if you tell him.
So it just pops up on the carousel? I don't know whether to feel relieved or more worried....now I'm thinking about somebody mistakenly grabbing my bag as theirs and my gun disapprearing.... :headscratch
I have known it to happen. This is a very good reason to mark your bag in a very unique manner, big pink ribbon, huge name tag, something very noticeable. If you look around the carousel, you will note that many bags are marked that way, so you are not screaming "GUN" you are just declaring your property.

I see that I am cross posting with someone else, so I'll leave it at that.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

ELB

Post by ELB »

boomerang wrote:
74novaman wrote:So it just pops up on the carousel?
That's always been the case for me. So far.

+1. I go straight from the plane to the carousel, as far as I can remember, always beat the luggage. I have put the same tape combo (red and white) on the handles and on the bottom of all our luggage so I can pick it out faster. Soon as I grab my suitcase, I head for the nearest restroom with it, load the pistol, conceal it, and I am on my merry way in full SD configuration with noone the wiser.
USAF 1982-2005

Travis

Post by Travis »

I fly all the time, put the gun in a hard case a stick it in your luggage. When you get to colorado your gun will be in your bag and there will be a little white flyer from tsa (takes scissors away) and you go on your way. Fwiw I don't send my 1911 or anything unusually nice when I fly. I take my glock so if one of the guys get some sticky fingers I'm only out 400 not 1300. As for the bag I have some little girl bike streamers on both of the handles I always know my bag.
Life is hard, but it's harder when the Rottweiler has a can of pepper spray.

ES4Me

Post by ES4Me »

Ok...I have a question that maybe 74novaman would find helpful so as not to hijack his thread... ;-)

I am reading on the airline website where it says ammunition must be in its original packaging and that the airline does not accept loose ammo or clips. So, hoping I am reading right that I have to empty my mag before locking up my gun in its case and bring a box of ammo in its original sales box - the mag cannot be loaded. Correct? I am one of those by the book, have to do everything perfect type A personality types so of course I have to make sure I am doing EVERYTHING absolutely perfect. :biggrinjester:

Also, says it has to be in a hard sided case. I have a lock box that was given to me as a Christmas gift - but I do not feel it is too secure. Think it could be easily pried open with a screwdriver. Would locking up the original case my XD came in be sufficient? There are holes on the case that appear to be just what this was intended for.

Thanks....
CHL Class - 08/22/09
App Mailed to DPS - 09/16/09
Recv'd by DPS - 09/17/09
Processing App - 11/11/09
Plastic in Hand - 12/26/09

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

74novaman wrote:The future father in law, while a very nice man, is a California raised college prof who's stance on guns I'm taking a very educated guess is "ill informed" at best, if not "wildly irrationally afraid of" at worse.
Wasn't Jeff Cooper a California-raised college prof (among many other things)? ;-)
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

threoh8 wrote:
74novaman wrote:The future father in law, while a very nice man, is a California raised college prof who's stance on guns I'm taking a very educated guess is "ill informed" at best, if not "wildly irrationally afraid of" at worse.
Wasn't Jeff Cooper a California-raised college prof (among many other things)? ;-)
Trust me, he's no relation to Jeff Cooper. :mrgreen:
TANSTAAFL

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

ES4Me wrote:So, hoping I am reading right that I have to empty my mag before locking up my gun in its case and bring a box of ammo in its original sales box - the mag cannot be loaded. Correct?
Depends on the airline. FAA rules allow loaded magazines in magazine pouches if no rounds are exposed. That's what I do. However, your airline may require ammo to be packed in the original box. IDK.
ES4Me wrote:Also, says it has to be in a hard sided case. I have a lock box that was given to me as a Christmas gift - but I do not feel it is too secure. Think it could be easily pried open with a screwdriver. Would locking up the original case my XD came in be sufficient? There are holes on the case that appear to be just what this was intended for.
I use a COM style box now but I have flown with a $2 lock on a $5 plastic pistol case in my luggage.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

5thGenTexan

Post by 5thGenTexan »

Never have a problem with our luggage when we travel, my wife luggage shops at the Asian district off Harry Hines in Dallas buying a couple of unique sets of cheap lugage every couple of years . When I travel business I have a blue rolling duffle all of them are super easy to pick up on the conveyor.

Next time you are at the airport look at the percentage of plain black bags that all look the same on the carrosel, find some unique luggage.
5th Generation Texan
"Republicrats and Demicans, it ain't no surprise,
Got their hands full of gimme, they got their mouths full of lies."

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”