Great target for training...from me to you...post your score

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Great target for training...from me to you...post your score

Post by gigag04 »

We recently transitioned form the venerable Glock 22 to the Glock 21SF.

One of our shooting drills for the course was a slow fire, untimed, 10 round only exercise using the target I've attached.

Firing from the 3yd line, the goal is to place the shot in the center of the cluster of 3 dots so that the hole in the paper touches each dot. If it contacts all 3 dots, then you are awarded 4 points for that shot. If you only strike one or two, then you only get one or two points.

My first time to do it, after already shooting 100 rds in the rain (we were soaked) I managed to eek out 15 points (next highest score was 8 - yes - thinly veiled brag). But I have printed a bunch of these to take with me to the range.

It will only works for .45, but I'm sure someone could make one easily for .40 and 9mm.

If you guys try it out post up your scores. The goal is to go slow, and ONLY fire 10 rounds.
Attachments
Target for .45 cal shooting
Target for .45 cal shooting
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

JAguirre

Re: Great target for training...from me to you...post your s

Post by JAguirre »

Nice training tool, thanks for sharing.

KFP
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KFP »

I've printed five, will take a box of ammo, two guns, and report back - hopefully tomorrow. Thanks!
Life Member NRA & TSRA

speepdaedeesi

Post by speepdaedeesi »

if someone can post a target for a 9mm, i would love to use it here in afghanistan. i am the training room guy and we are doing ranges every other saturday. both my 1sg and commander carry m9's and this would be a fun way to have a competition between us.

CaptWoodrow10
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CaptWoodrow10 »

I will have to give that one a try next time I'm at the range. Thanks for sharing.
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber CDP II

texasbuilt

Post by texasbuilt »

I saw those dot targets on a site a while back and just couldn't remember where.. Well after about 2 hours of searching here is the article:
http://www.lawofficer.com/news-and-arti ... o_win.html

"Dots Shooting
The classroom moves to live-fire range. In the early 1980s, we were introduced to “Dots.” Friends at the FBI challenged us to try out a system developed by a group of dot shooters. Caliber-specific dot targets are posted at face height, with a shooting line three yards from the target. Ten dot sets are printed on each target. Each dot set looks like a triangle, with a dot at each corner. Only one shot is fired on each dot set, for a total of 10 rounds. If the shooter hits one dot in the triangle, they score one point, hit two for two points, and if you shoot through the center and touch each dot, you get four points. The total possible score is 40. Many shooters score zero, and this is only at nine feet. Of all exercises we’ve used to improve trigger control, dots have made the greatest positive impact. Time limit per target is one minute or less. Most officers will shoot too fast. To download dot targets, visit www.LawOfficer.com/dots."

They have 9mm, .40 and .45 you can print for free.

The rest of the article is a fairly good read.

mikeloc

Post by mikeloc »

Great post. Thanks :cheers2:

KFP

Post by KFP »

My humble report in order of scores: 0, 1, 2, 5, 13. :oops:

As much as I hated seeing my performance, I found myself enjoying the challenge. It was an eye opener to me that I've gotten too far away from accuracy in my training. I will definitely keep a few of these targets in my range bag and continue to work on it.

gigag - I have a new found respect for your 15! :thumbs2:
Life Member NRA & TSRA

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

speepdaedeesi wrote:if someone can post a target for a 9mm, i would love to use it here in afghanistan. i am the training room guy and we are doing ranges every other saturday. both my 1sg and commander carry m9's and this would be a fun way to have a competition between us.
Here are targets for 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP.

Chas.
Attachments
46-3-dot-target].pdf
(367.36 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
40-3-dot-target.pdf
(364.17 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
9mm-3-dot-target.pdf
(371.09 KiB) Downloaded 186 times

Quahog

Post by Quahog »

Thanks Charles... you always come through!
"America needs God more than God needs America. If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." -- Ronald Reagan

NRA - TSRA - PSC - CHL

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

texasbuilt wrote:I saw those dot targets on a site a while back and just couldn't remember where.. Well after about 2 hours of searching here is the article:
http://www.lawofficer.com/news-and-arti ... o_win.html

"Dots Shooting
The classroom moves to live-fire range. In the early 1980s, we were introduced to “Dots.” Friends at the FBI challenged us to try out a system developed by a group of dot shooters. Caliber-specific dot targets are posted at face height, with a shooting line three yards from the target. Ten dot sets are printed on each target. Each dot set looks like a triangle, with a dot at each corner. Only one shot is fired on each dot set, for a total of 10 rounds. If the shooter hits one dot in the triangle, they score one point, hit two for two points, and if you shoot through the center and touch each dot, you get four points. The total possible score is 40. Many shooters score zero, and this is only at nine feet. Of all exercises we’ve used to improve trigger control, dots have made the greatest positive impact. Time limit per target is one minute or less. Most officers will shoot too fast. To download dot targets, visit www.LawOfficer.com/dots."

They have 9mm, .40 and .45 you can print for free.

The rest of the article is a fairly good read.
Thanks for the link. I printed one of the .40's and made several copies at work on 8.5x14 paper to give me plenty of space to clip the paper on the target thingy at the Grapevine BassPro. I'll try and get there this weekend and follow up with a score. Hopefully, there will be a score. If anyone happens to be there and sees someone shooting dots, check to see if it's me.

C-dub
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Ol Zeke

Post by Ol Zeke »

OK, I’ll be the first (to embarrass themselves). :grumble

After a 50 round drill with latest “Zekeonator” I remembered this and dug the target out of my brief case.

I remember this from several years ago. What I remember is how frustrating it is!

I’ve scored this as a 12. The bottom right set touches all three (that’s my story and I’m stickin’ with it). :fire

I wish I had had more than one target, with me. The first couple of shots were to determine the best POA.
GSR-Dots-1.jpg

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Nice shooting. I love the 1911 too. I am weakening, I may have to get a 1911 to add to the arsenal. :fire
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

KFP

Post by KFP »

Now I'm feeling better about mine. Somehow my target printed at about half size.

Life Member NRA & TSRA

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”