USAA and 30.06

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Bear67
Posts in topic: 2

Re: USAA and 30.06

Post by Bear67 »

My wife and I have had auto, rv, and house insurance with USAA for20+ years and the service is great and I get other quotes ( I was with Texas Farm Bureau for 25 years)--they still beat out the competition. Just recently we had hail claims on two autos and one RV and the claims were handled fast and fairly.

That said, I do not bank with them. If they had a local branch, I still would not bank there because of the signage and policy. I have contacted USAA, the CEO, and board president and expressed my feelings. Did not change any minds, but I feel better that they know all members are not sheep, but free Americans. I am saddened that USAA with it's membership basically made up of former military folks has such a policy. You eat an elephant, one bite at a time. We just need to keep complaining to the leadership/management at USAA. The squeaky wheel gets grease when the squeak get enough attention.
"A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

God Bless America

Medic624
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Medic624 »

My letter to USAA...

To whom it may concern:

Recently I received a quote for auto insurance and was very impressed with what USAA could offer me for my money and I then considered insuring my home and myself with USAA. Unfortunately I received the quote about the same time I moved to Texas and learned that your financial institutions post the 30.06 signs restricting myself and my fellow CHL carriers.

For a company who does their best to assist the individuals who either have or currently protect our country it amazes me that you would do your best to limit one of our most important rights this nation bestows upon our countrymen. Without the second amendment we are merely subjects and not a great nation of citizens.

Unfortunately, as of right now I will have to leave my coverage with my current company. I sincerely hope your company will reconsider your position and support a fundamental tenet this country was based upon. If and when you do this it will be only then that I can, with a clear conscience, take advantage of the services you provide.

US Veteran
:patriot: :txflag: :patriot:
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Purplehood »

Medic624 wrote:My letter to USAA...

To whom it may concern:

Recently I received a quote for auto insurance and was very impressed with what USAA could offer me for my money and I then considered insuring my home and myself with USAA. Unfortunately I received the quote about the same time I moved to Texas and learned that your financial institutions post the 30.06 signs restricting myself and my fellow CHL carriers.

For a company who does their best to assist the individuals who either have or currently protect our country it amazes me that you would do your best to limit one of our most important rights this nation bestows upon our countrymen. Without the second amendment we are merely subjects and not a great nation of citizens.

Unfortunately, as of right now I will have to leave my coverage with my current company. I sincerely hope your company will reconsider your position and support a fundamental tenet this country was based upon. If and when you do this it will be only then that I can, with a clear conscience, take advantage of the services you provide.

US Veteran
Very nice.

Right now I am trying to find an affordable alternative to my car insurance so I can leave USAA.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Vecco wrote:I have been with USAA since 1986; I only use them for car insurance and some investment. Their banking, loans and CC have always been sub par to Navy Federal where I do my banking and loans from. I called USAA about 3 months ago to change my home owners Insurance only to find they wanted about $349 a year more then what I was already paying. I really wanted to reward my children who will be off to college next year with their own USAA membership ( they already got them automatically) but I think I will shop around for other car insurance and defiantly a better investment company ( they have always been sub par, IMO). I need to write a letter to let them know.

PS: Navy Federal has the gun buster sign, I wrote them and they said they don’t like guns in there office, Randolph Brooks credit union who I also use, flat out told me CHL is ok. The security guards ask if I would give him a nod when I walk just so he knows, I can do that.
Why even take the risk that they would substitute a brand spanking new 30.06 sign for the old gunbuster's sign? With all due respect, I think you took an unnecessary risk. If the sign is not compliant, walk right past it and don't educate them that it isn't compliant. And it really isn't necessary nor is it any of their business for the security guards to know if you have a CHL or if you are packing. The better path would have been to ignore the signs and walk right past them.

The bank where my personal accounts are—Viewpoint Bank—has a gunbusters sign. I ignore it. Although the former branch vice resident who lured me to that bank (and no longer works there) knew me personally and knew about my CHL, the current folks don't know, and I'm not about to educate them about either my CHL, or their silly sign. The bank where my business accounts are—Bank of the West's new building in Grapevine—has a completely different flavor. When I set up the accounts, I made my wife a signatory to them, and we both had to provide two photo IDs. We each only have one other photo ID in our wallets besides a TDL and that is a CHL, so we showed them to the bank president who was setting up my accounts, and I said that I hoped it didn't freak her out. She laughed and said, "Heck no, honey! Everybody should have one of those!" There are no gunbusters signs or any other kind of signs on the doors, and there isn't a security guard in sight, but you get the sense when you walk in the door that you have stepped directly into well-appointed bank vault.

As far as insurance goes, I wouldn't give my business to a company that has a compliant 30.06 sign out front, and I'm not about to educate them if their signs aren't compliant.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

txbirddog

Post by txbirddog »

loadedliberal wrote:
txbirddog wrote:
USAA is committed to promoting the safety of our employees, visitors, and children on our campuses.
Don't you just love how the libs love to talk about protecting children. Most have no idea how to protect children or anyone else. :banghead: :banghead:

Don't dare question my or other "liberals" ability to protect anyone. I see that comment as a huge slap in the face.
Well when you or your fellow libs scream that conservatives or Republicans, or in this case Maria insinuate that I or others gun toters, want to hurt "the children" she is touting a bold faced lie, and I will question it and question it with boldness. Tell your fellow libs to stop trying to pull on the heartstrings when they have no corner on wanting to protect children.. The employee puts children into the conversations to try to sway others to her point.

Don't want that, then jump on those talking heads and call them on those lies. Good day.

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

Purplehood wrote:

To whom it may concern:

US Veteran
Very nice.

Right now I am trying to find an affordable alternative to my car insurance so I can leave USAA.
I haven't found anybody that beats Texas Farm Bureau on auto insurance.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

jlangton wrote:
Purplehood wrote:

To whom it may concern:

US Veteran
Very nice.

JL
I got a quote from USAA And Texas Farm Bureau and it wasn't even close, USAA beat TFB by several hundred dollars!!!!
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

Right2Carry wrote:
jlangton wrote:
Purplehood wrote:

To whom it may concern:

US Veteran
Very nice.

JL
I got a quote from USAA And Texas Farm Bureau and it wasn't even close, USAA beat TFB by several hundred dollars!!!!
And everybody I personally know that has compared the two has had the opposite result.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

jlangton wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:
jlangton wrote:
Purplehood wrote:

To whom it may concern:

US Veteran
Very nice.

JL
And everybody I personally know that has compared the two has had the opposite result.
JL
All I know is that I compared apples to apples, no reduction in coverage and USAA came out on top. Sure I could have gotten a cheaper quote from TFB, but it would have come in the form of higher deductibles and less coverage!
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Bear67

Post by Bear67 »

I had been with Texas Farm Bureau for all my personal and farm insurance since the 60's, but about 15 years ago we got a USAA quote and they beat TFB quite a bit, particularly on homeowners. I was a president of a county FB for 12 years and lobbied for TFB in the Texas Legislature. I have been very pleased with USAA service, but I sure am not happy with their policies on CHL/legal carry in their facilities and my wife and I have expressed these concerns in writing.
"A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

God Bless America

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

Right2Carry wrote:
All I know is that I compared apples to apples, no reduction in coverage and USAA came out on top. Sure I could have gotten a cheaper quote from TFB, but it would have come in the form of higher deductibles and less coverage!
This was "Apples to Apples" identical coverage amounts and deductibles,and TFB beat them by several hundred $$ every 6 months.
Not everyone will have the same results-your location, vehicle type, driving record, etc will all have an impact on the cost.
JL
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

Gunner21

Post by Gunner21 »

Cancelled my Auto insurance w/ USAA. This was after a huge argument after refinancing my car loan on one vehicle. When they asked my why I'm canceling my Insurance I flat out told them "your refinancing division is trying to put the screws to me ... and you don't allow Law Abiding Citizens conceal carry in you banks. I also mentioned to then that I was planning on buying a house this summer and planned on going through my present Bank and the TVLB. I also mentioned that I will be leaving my savings at my present bank, it's not a whole lot but I think 5 figures is quite a nest egg at 42. Now to the Insurance Divisions credit I refinanced my car for 100.00 less than my current payment at the time but still ended up canceling my insurance because of this, also saved 100.00 / month there as well by going with Geico.

Now my present bank has the gunbusters sign. After speaking with the Branch Manager she told me to ignore it and that it was there as a KYA measure. So yeah. USAA listen to your clients we speak with our accounts.

pnctar

Post by pnctar »

Gunner21 wrote:After speaking with the Branch Manager she told me to ignore it and that it was there as a KYA measure. So yeah. USAA listen to your clients we speak with our accounts.
:iagree: though I still have USAA insurance. Can't give up the 50% savings I got on auto, home, RV ... yet. ;-)
"The government that governs best, governs least." - Ben Franklin

medalguy

Post by medalguy »

Same here. I have my auto insurance still with USAA but I moved all my investments and homeowners insurance to other companies. I got the best quote on HO insurance thru Farmers but even they couldn't beat USAA for auto. I've been insured with them for going on 29 years now. Anyone tried Germania for HO? They were very close to Farmers.

utme

Post by utme »

I'm glad more people are becoming aware of this. USAA anti-gun stance, not paying hardly any interest on the first performance saving account, not being competitive on rates for car loans and mortgages, etc. is not helping their reputation. USAA used to pay bonus interest on accounts over $50,000, but not anymore. I started using Randolph Brooks FCU and FirstMark CU for car loans instead of USAA. advisor.google.com has much better mortgage rates. I just refinanced for 15-years at 3.75%, no escrow, no points, and no origination fees. USAA could not do that. What is really funny is that you can carry in the Texas Capital but not in the USAA lobby. Who is really full of themselves? If I withdraw say $10,000 cash I should be able to carry. USAA has a few rent-a-cops but they are directing traffic or talking with each other in the corner and not really paying attention to anything. I wish USAA well because San Antonio needs the jobs. However, they have definitely gone down hill in the past 5 years and don't even seem to care what the members think. Like I said previously, I have been with USAA for 20 years and have already started phasing out credit cards, etc. You can find better deals else where.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”