Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Manfred
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Glock Haters?

Post by Manfred »

I have run into a few folks that think the Glock pistols are junk.

I myself happen to be a big fan, and believe them to be extremely reliable, accurate, tough, and just as/ if not more so "safe" than other guns on the market.

While I am sure its just ignorance from the critics. Does anyone know what or why some people have this opinion of the Glocks?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Glock Haters?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I don't think I've ever really seen anyone who hates Glocks. People do seem to either like them or not, without any middle ground. Their popularity certainly took a hit when the Springfield XD came out, then more so when the Smith M&P was introduced. I have three and only one ever gets shot.

Chas.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

I do not like BLOCKs :biggrinjester: and that is the reason why. They feel like a block in my hand. They simply do not fit me. This does not mean that they are not good reliable guns. They are and have been proven to be reliable.

I think most people do not like them because of the way they feel and fit in their hands and the fact that they are not aesthetically pleasing.

I would not say that they are safer than other guns...guns are as safe as the person holding them makes them.

texjames

Post by texjames »

I have noticed that too. I like Glocks i have two. I don't like the XD's and M&P though just fondling them at the gun shops.
They feel weird in my hands and look top/slide heavy to me.Glock fits my hand great. :thumbs2:
USAF 71-91 retired
CHL #3 04/10

USA1

Post by USA1 »

Well, I've done my fair share of poking fun at Glocks, but only in jest.
The truth is, I think Glocks are some of the most reliable and durable guns on the planet.

I am a fan of the 1911 but I see myself owning a Glock some day because I have an appreciation
for high quality guns with a reputation for performance.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

G26ster
Posts in topic: 9

Post by G26ster »

I stayed away from Glocks because all I ever did was fondle them at gun shows. Didn't care for the fit. That said, I was trained many, many years ago on the 1911 format, and that fit me, but I never liked the weight. I settled on a compact CZ for HD, but I was very inaccurate with it. One day at the range firing it, my friend said, "here try my Glock." He handed me his G26 and I was blowing big gaping holes out of the 10 ring at 7 yds! I was definitely impressed.

I decided to buy one, when another friend urged me to consider the XD9. I went to a local shop and handled the XD9, but the counter guy urged me to fire it before I decided. Good thing. I went to a nearby range and rented an XD9 and did not like the feel or my accuracy. I had my Glock friend with me and shot his G26 again, and once again I was dead on accurate with it. Needless to say I bought a Glock 26. In my hands, no other weapon is as accurate. Can't speak for others. I have about 1k rds thru the Glock, and never had a single issue. In fact I have another G26 frame which I have mounted my Advantage Arms .22lr slide, so I don't have to keep swapping slides with my carry gun. Also, it's $.03 per round for the .22lr vs. about $.20 for the 9mm. I do keep in practice with the 9mm though.

I do have an Officer's size 1911 now, and it is quite accurate and reliable, but my G26 is 7oz lighter and is my cool weather carry. Summer carry is a Sig p238, which for a small .380 is also very accurate. So, unless you shoot the Glock, you may be fooled by the "feel" if all you do is fondle them. Yes, it is bulkier than many others, but it's how it shoots in your hands that counts.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 4

Post by G.A. Heath »

I have never owned a glock, I have shot more than a few though. To say I hate glocks would be inaccurate as i simply do not care for them. I will say that I have recommended people try out a glock, more than once, after seeing how they grip and shoot other guns. Glocks are not for all people, but neither is any gun. The biggest piece of advice i can offer anyone regarding a handgun is try several different ones and find the one your most comfortable with. I will say that I do hate the first iteration of the RTF texture as it was like gripping a porcupine. RTF II is much improved and I'm told by someone that the 4th gen texture is even better (I have yet to shoot one of these).
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

A-R
Posts in topic: 7

Post by A-R »

I've heard more than one Glock naysayer comment something like "everyone has a Glock. They're boring. I wanted something different and unique"

I don't understand that thinking, but whatever floats your boat.

I like Glocks precisely because they're so widely used - easy to find parts and accessories. and of course reputation for quality is second to none.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: my guns are tools to protect my life. I carry them concealed and only I see them. I don't care one bit what they look like, whether they're "cool", or whether everyone else has one. They work for me. They go bang every time I pull the trigger. They are beautiful.

saj111

Post by saj111 »

it's the old ford or chevy thing.
at competitions there is a lot of good natured ribbing between shooters about different guns. but that is what it is, just good natured ribbing.
shoot and carry what you enjoy and don't worry about the rest of us soreheads.
"we've got to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over!"

Texas Size 11
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Texas Size 11 »

I'm a Glock lover...my G22 is by far my most favorite. It isn't much to look at, but it goes bang everytime I pull the trigger (no matter what I feed it) and it goes where I point it. If I ever get the urge, I can bury, freeze, or submerge it and it is still going to shoot. I'd say that kind of funtionality and reliability is a good thing.
Never pet a burning dog...

glbedd53
Posts in topic: 8

Post by glbedd53 »

Not a hater but not really a fan either. I have never owned a newer Glock, I'm sure they have improved. Me and 3 other people I used to work with all bought them at the same time, early ones in about 90 or 91 I think. We all had reliability problems. Of the 3 I owned I still have a 21 and after 2 trips back to the factory it has not had a problem. I keep it because it does fit my hand and I like shooting it. I prefer a manual safety on my carry gun and I'm not the only one who feels that way. To me it's not a debate between Glocks and 1911's, it's Glocks or Sigs. Me and all of us that have bought Sigs have had no reliability issues with them, not even one.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 4

Post by G.A. Heath »

I forgot to add that I do hate the fan-boys for any gun. I like my Kimbers, my Springfield Armory XDms, my Rugers, my Smith and Wessons, my RIAs, ect. But you will not see me say anything to the effect of "If its no brand Z then its Junk" because all major name brands produce quality firearms and will stand behind them even though the eventual lemons do slip though. Glock Fan-Boys (and anti-glock fan-boys) seem to be the worse or the lot because they are so numerous while infecting every gun shop, forum, and discussion imaginable.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

vinnier6

Post by vinnier6 »

if you want the ultimate in combat handgun, then look no further then a glock...it requires soo little in the care department, and will work under some of the worst conditions you can imagine...the last thing you want to have to do with a weapon while the world is comming to an end is clean it...

glocks work...if you want pretty, get something else
CCW Glock 23 or 27 Milt Sparks VM2
11/11/09 class, online application complete
11/18/09 application mailed
11/24/09 processing application
12/11/09 background check complete, sent to print
12/19/09 application complete, license issued
12/24/09 plastic in hand

Ol Zeke

Post by Ol Zeke »

:tiphat: I’m a 1911 guy. What can I say? I grew up with them. I learned, years ago, to work on them. I shoot reasonably well with them. I like ‘em….. OK, I luv ‘em… :mrgreen:
Glocks came along and, well, they were….. PLASTIC! That can’t last! But, everywhere I turned, I was reading about someone putting thousands of rounds through one and it kept on tickin’! :headscratch
Then, I ran across a used G26 at a gun show. I didn’t need it. I didn’t even really want it. But I bought it. :roll:
I shot it, and liked it. I tinkered with it and liked it. It was taking time away from my 1911’s and I got scared. I gave it to my daughter for her CCW.
I went back to my 1911’s. Happy, once again! :hurry:
:totap: Well, I lasted about two months and got a G19…. OK, I’m weak. My wife shot it and liked it better than her XD so I got her a G26. After a while, all I was shooting or working on was the ugly ducklings….. Glocks! :???:
I was feeling pretty guilty and decided something had to be done…. So I got a G36…. Well, at least I’m still paying some tribute to John Browning….. :mrgreen:
When friends come over and want to see my guns, I show them a 1911. I can find tons of photos of my 1911’s to send to friends….. But….. right now…….. I'm carryin’ a Glock! ……. I’m so ashamed! :???:

:grumble I Hate Glocks and what they have done to my relationship with 1911's! "rlol" :fire

glbedd53
Posts in topic: 8

Post by glbedd53 »

No the last thing I want to do when the world is coming to an end is clear a jam.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”