1911: Compact vs Full Size

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
74novaman
Posts in topic: 3

1911: Compact vs Full Size

Post by 74novaman »

I currently own a Rock Island 1911A1 GI model. 5 inch, bare bones 1911. Love the gun.

It does make me wonder though: Whats the advantage of a 4 inch 1911? Does that extra inch really make it that much harder to carry a full size? For that matter, the compact models with smaller round counts confuse me too.

I don't seem to have any problems carrying my 5 inch 1911, so I was wondering why others had gone with the 3.5 or 4 inch versions. :tiphat:
TANSTAAFL

bigred90gt
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 1911: Compact vs Full Size

Post by bigred90gt »

The shorter barrel 1911's also have a slightly shorter grip, which some people feel is easier to conceal depending on how they carry it. Being a large guy, I have no problems concealing a full size. The only reason I got rid of my full size RIA is because it was unreliable. I ended up buying a 3.5" Para CCO from a buddy, only because I got it for about 1/2 price of new. I havent taken it to the range since I bought it, but I did shoot a couple of magazines through it before I bought it. It has about 400 rounds through it, and no issues.

Another reason I can think of is just the weight difference. I know my RIA was somewhere around 40oz empty. The Para is 33oz empty. it may not seem like much, and again, the extra weight doesnt bother me, but some people would be miserable toting around a 40oz hunk of steel.

These are just my guesses.

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

I have several full size .45's, but I carry a Kimber UCII. It does have a 3" barrel. The grip length is about the same as the full size models, but it weighs 25 oz's. I am as accurate with it as I am with the full sized models. Just sayin'...
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

My 5" Springfield and my 4" Kimber have the same size grip.

My 3" Kimber does have a shorter grip (by 1 round).

The weight is slightly different. The best thing I find is the shorter barrel is easier to carry especially if you have an IWB.

If the grip is very important, ensure that any model you get that's shorter has a full size grip.
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G26ster »

A full size (5") steel frame 1911 is around 40 oz. empty. My 3" 1911, with aluminum frame, is about 25 oz. empty. That's almost a full 1lb. difference. If you weigh 200+ lbs, carry that extra pound with pride. But to me, at 160 lbs, it makes a huge difference. :tiphat:

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

I carry both a Kimber Pro(4") and UC(3"). There is one round less in the UC but I have full size 8 rd mags in a spare mag carrier so I can stab a full 8 in there if needed. If you have expended 7 (6+1) rds I dont think 1 more is gonna help. Might but you are in deep doo. The extra inch of a full size can be harder to conceal. I have my Pro MSH bobbed, extra slim grips and a 4 inch barrel. It conceals very well. I have tried carrying up to a 7" just for grins and it is a lot harder when sitting and bending.

witchdoctor575

Post by witchdoctor575 »

yup, I originally started CC with a gov't model. totally do-able but it is kinda a pain when you sit, pokes in the ribs and in the hip. I then went to a kimber pro which is 4" barrel. much easier when sitting but still pokes the ribs. I then went to a dan wesson CBOB and believe me, I don't get poked at all and hardly prints. the only time the frame size changes on a 1911 in on officer models such as a cco. commanders and gov't use full size frames

Ol Zeke

Post by Ol Zeke »

The original configurations were (I believe): :tiphat:

Govt. Model (GI 1911-A1) = 5" Bbl & Full Size Grip (usually 8 rd Mag)

Commander Model = 4" Bbl & Full Size Grip

Officer Model = 3" Bbl & Shorter Grip (1 rnd less). My Kimber UC II is like this.

Some make what is usually refered to as a "Compact" model that has a 4" Bbl on an Officer size frame (such as my Sig GSR). :coolgleamA:

My hands are not huge, so the shorter grip fits me nicely and I find it easier to conceal. I don't have a problem with the 7 round mag capacity and can carry a full size Govt. mag as a spare ( if I want to). :cheers2:

There are probably other configurations out there that I just don't know about. I have a Para Ord PDA which has an even shorter grip than my UC II and only holds 6+1 Rds. Of course, this isn't a true 1911, since it has Para's "LDA" double action trigger. :???:

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Ol Zeke wrote: There are probably other configurations out there that I just don't know about. I have a Para Ord PDA which has an even shorter grip than my UC II and only holds 6+1 Rds. Of course, this isn't a true 1911, since it has Para's "LDA" double action trigger. :???:
The Springfield Ultra Compacts are 3 1/2" barrels, with "Officer" sized grips, 7+1.

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Well now that I have an actual opinion instead of just speculating, I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead.

I have owned and carried a 5 inch RIA 1911 in both OWB and IWB holsters and didn't have much trouble concealing it.

I just picked up a 3.5 inch RIA. Shorter barrel, and an officer frame.

I now get it. While it is doable to conceal the 5 inch (especially in cooler weather), it is much easier to conceal the compact. I think everyone should have one of each. :coolgleamA:

Since both of mine are steel, the weight difference between the two was pretty negligible. The 3.5 I bought did come with Hogue grips on it, and I like them so much I had to go ahead and order a set for my full size.

In summary, I now understand completely why people want both. :biggrinjester:
TANSTAAFL

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

74Novaman now you need a 4" or 4.25" to have a full set. It's a vicious circle once you buy a 1911.

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Sidro wrote:74Novaman now you need a 4" or 4.25" to have a full set. It's a vicious circle once you buy a 1911.
Quiet, you. "rlol"
TANSTAAFL

A-R

Post by A-R »

Anyone know if there are substantial ballistic performance differences in quality .45 hollow point defense ammo between a standard 5-inch barrel and a 3.5-inch barrel? Someone mentioned to me a while back that the .45 ACP cartridge, having been originally developed for the 5-inch M1911 barrel, loses some of its punch out of a 3.5-inch barrel. Would a 4-inch barrel with officer-size frame be any better than the 3.5-inch barrel?

I don't currently own a .45, so just curious as I plan to one day buy a 1911-pattern pistol.

Also if anyone can compare this to say a 3.5-inch or 4-inch .40-caliber ballistics? I've also heard that .40-cal was developed to be fired from a 4-inch barrel? I currently carry .40-cal Glocks, thus the reason I'm interested in the comparisons.

All of the above is just rumors/speculation/"gun talk" at ranges and such. So if I'm dead wrong about any of it, please EDUCATE the messenger instead of shooting him :tiphat:

dicion

Post by dicion »

So an average of ~5-10% velocity loss in a 3" Kimber Ultra Raptor Vs a 5".

However, the 3" Kimber DESTROYED all the others in Accuracy! "rlol"

IMO, 5-10% loss is negligible enough to not be a concern. I'll trust my 3" Ultra Carry any day :thumbs2:

Better worded, a 3" Barreled 1911 still has 90%+ Of the velocity of a 5" Barreled 1911, and Accuracy is more a function of the gun, than the barrel length.

I'll tell you what though, from my own personal observations, a 3" Barrel barks a MUCH larger fireball than a 5"! "rlol"
Last edited by dicion on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”