What's the Origin of Your User Name?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

fringe
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What's the Origin of Your User Name?

Post by fringe »

"It has come to my attention that a small handful of gun rights fringe groups have called my leadership into question."
- Dennis Bonnen via Facebook

Crash
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Crash »

I was stationed in Saudi Arabia for a few years and a bunch of the guys would ride motorcycles in the sand dunes on the weekend. They invited me to come along, but I had didn't own a bike and, what's more, had never ridden one before. So, I bought a Yamaha Enduro, went to the desert and--let's just say that the "learning curve was very steep," ergo "Crash."

easy10

Post by easy10 »

Running, "lets do an easy 10" (10 miles )

WildBill
Posts in topic: 23

Post by WildBill »

Crash wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:55 pm I was stationed in Saudi Arabia for a few years and a bunch of the guys would ride motorcycles in the sand dunes on the weekend. They invited me to come along, but I had didn't own a bike and, what's more, had never ridden one before. So, I bought a Yamaha Enduro, went to the desert and--let's just say that the "learning curve was very steep," ergo "Crash."
Your motorcycle skills are similar to mine. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

A TV station in Abilene, KTXS. Lived and worked there for a good many years before moving SEast about 80 miles. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

DEB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DEB »

Mine is through the initials of my name. From Daniel E. Bertram to DEB. When I first joined I didn't know what the forum would be like, so quiting I kinda figured would be quickly in the future for me and my initials are very easy to remember. So, here I am 9 plus years later. :tiphat: I would change my user name to my Christian name, but real lazy on my part to reach out to the moderators to figure out how that is done. Glad to be here though.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

DEB wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:47 pm Mine is through the initials of my name. From Daniel E. Bertram to DEB. When I first joined I didn't know what the forum would be like, so quiting I kinda figured would be quickly in the future for me and my initials are very easy to remember. So, here I am 9 plus years later. :tiphat: I would change my user name to my Christian name, but real lazy on my part to reach out to the moderators to figure out how that is done. Glad to be here though.
I am glad I saw your post. No kidding, I thought you were a female member. (DEB) as in Debra. :oops:

DEB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DEB »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:56 pm
DEB wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:47 pm Mine is through the initials of my name. From Daniel E. Bertram to DEB. When I first joined I didn't know what the forum would be like, so quiting I kinda figured would be quickly in the future for me and my initials are very easy to remember. So, here I am 9 plus years later. :tiphat: I would change my user name to my Christian name, but real lazy on my part to reach out to the moderators to figure out how that is done. Glad to be here though.
I am glad I saw your post. No kidding, I thought you were a female member. (DEB) as in Debra. :oops:
Yea, I learned early on to just take those initials on my chin. Shoulda seen my problems in Basic Training as a Tanker, in the 1970's, my Drill Sgts would make Trump blush. (By the way I am a Full on Trumpster). Ever heard that song, The Boy Named Sue" by Johnny Cash? But, joining organizations with the initials is kinda subterfuge as well. Everyone figures...But, been married 40 years to the same woman, have kids and grandkids. Although nowadays that doesn't mean anything about one's biology. Aw well, I have met men named Kim, Mushy, Dub, Marge and etc. I didn't have it too bad, at least mine was just initials, LOL.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

DEB wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:18 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:56 pm
Yea, I learned early on to just take those initials on my chin. Shoulda seen my problems in Basic Training as a Tanker, in the 1970's, my Drill Sgts would make Trump blush. (By the way I am a Full on Trumpster). Ever heard that song,
The Man Named Sue" by Johnny Cash?
But, joining organizations with the initials is kinda subterfuge as well. Everyone figures...But, been married 40 years to the same woman, have kids and grandkids. Although nowadays that doesn't mean anything about one's biology. Aw well, I have met men named Kim, Mushy, Dub, Marge and etc. I didn't have it too bad, at least mine was just initials, LOL.
Haha... I think it was a Boy named sue. That was always a favorite song.

"And I looked at him and my blood ran cold
And I said: "My name is 'Sue!' How do you do!?
Now you gonna die!"
Yeah that's what I told 'em

Well, I hit him hard right between the eyes..."

von Clausewitz

Post by von Clausewitz »

One of the mandatory reading assignment at a couple of Mlitary Education courses I took during my career was “On War” by Carl Von Clausewitz.

While he didn’t write the exact quote that most people know from the book, “The fog of war” is attributed to Von Clausewitz.

The line from Vom Kriege (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_War) is “ War is the realm of uncertainty; three quarters of the factors on which action in war is based are wrapped in a fog of greater or lesser uncertainty. A sensitive and discriminating judgment is called for; a skilled intelligence to scent out the truth.”

Not an easy read, but it is interesting if that’s your thing...

Thus, my user name...

Coffee357

Post by Coffee357 »

Uh... old cop... and donut357 was too cliché ;-j

markthenewf

Post by markthenewf »

I keep it simple: my first name is Mark and I'm originally from Newfoundland, that big block of rock on the farthest eastern Canadian edge of North America.
Cheers!

Mark

BigGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BigGuy »

There was an old TV series called, "Filthy Rich" in the 1980s. Slim Pickens played the dead patriarch who would start every show with a video message to the relatives who would potentially inherit his fortune. His name was "Big Guy." and my wife started calling me that as a tease.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083415/

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

My initials because who forgets their initials and tax day because who forgets tax day. My initials alone weren't available.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 6

Post by puma guy »

As an infant I was abandoned and found by a puma that had two young kits who raised me as her own. :biggrinjester: Well, even though it would have been an interesting life, I actually sold PUMA knives back in the late 60's and early 70's at the sporting goods job I had. Years later I started collecting vintage PUMA knives until they got ridiculously expensive. Thus my moniker puma guy.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”