Rifle cleaning?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Rifle cleaning?

Post by Beiruty »

How do you clean your rifle reciever under the trigger group? I could not find an easy way to remove granular residue deposited there.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Rifle cleaning?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

What kind of rifle?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

SIG 556 SWAT Patrol
Beiruty,

firefighter3217
Posts in topic: 2

Post by firefighter3217 »

Take out the trigger assembly and clean it with a rag with some cleaner/lube/protectant on it. (I prefer CLP for stuff like this where you don't actually have any moving parts but you want it cleaned and oiled).
After that, use some Q-tips with CLP on it to get in the smaller areas and corners.

Then just re-assemble it and you're good to go.
about 65 days to plastic...
Carry guns:
Springfield V-10 3.5" 1911(thanks again, Texasvet)
Glock 26
Springfield XD40 4"
Llama 1911 (hey, don't knock it. Never had a SINGLE reliability problem with it. Over 1000 rounds through it.)
(lots of long guns, and a few other pistols for other use)

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

firefighter3217 wrote:Take out the trigger assembly and clean it with a rag with some cleaner/lube/protectant on it. (I prefer CLP for stuff like this where you don't actually have any moving parts but you want it cleaned and oiled).
After that, use some Q-tips with CLP on it to get in the smaller areas and corners.

Then just re-assemble it and you're good to go.
Do I need to be a gunsmith or is there a video how to do it somewhere on youtube?

I was thinking a some CLP and some compressed air should do the trick.
Beiruty,

firefighter3217
Posts in topic: 2

Post by firefighter3217 »

Ok, take these two pins out (see attached pic)... oh, note that this is NOT my rifle..., then when you pull out the trigger assembly, pay close attention to where everything goes, and when you pull it out, try not to let anything fly away. It shouldn't but just be on the safe side... Also, I couldn't find any exploded views of that rifle online, so I'd say if you're not comfortable with triggers, ya might want to just bring it to a gunsmith and watch him do it a few times so you get the hang of it.

I guess I should mention that you definitely need to separate the upper and lower receivers to do this-- you'll be pulling the trigger out the top of the weapon.

Lastly, it's been awhile, but if I remember correctly, the pins have notches in them. You'll want to install them with the notches aligned as you found them... Here's an example from an AR-15:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 9,r:16,s:0

Anywho, best of luck to ya. There's not too terribly much I could find online for pulling that bit out. Granted, I only spent about 2 minutes searching, so perhaps a more thorough search will turn up an exploded view or a decent video...
Attachments
sig_556_swat.jpg
about 65 days to plastic...
Carry guns:
Springfield V-10 3.5" 1911(thanks again, Texasvet)
Glock 26
Springfield XD40 4"
Llama 1911 (hey, don't knock it. Never had a SINGLE reliability problem with it. Over 1000 rounds through it.)
(lots of long guns, and a few other pistols for other use)

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”