Heard at Bullet Trap: Redux

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Heartland Patriot

Re: Heard at Bullet Trap: Redux

Post by Heartland Patriot »

After a bit of quick research, it seems that "bi-metal" is what a lot or even most Russian manufactured ammo has for bullet construction. This is usually a core of lead with a steel jacket that has a VERY thin layer of copper, or some sort of copper alloy, covering the jacket. The copper is supposed to help reduce barrel wear and protect the steel jacket against rusting. The steel used for both the cases and the bullet jackets is a VERY mild steel, much softer than the steel in a barrel or other parts of the firearm. Will it cause more wear? Likely...but I don't think it would matter much on accuracy except for those shooting precision matches. In a firearm intended for plinking, target shooting, even SD use, it seems you would have to put a LOT of rounds down range before you notice any difference.

(BTW, I base my opinion on information learned about metals in aviation maintenance classes, firearms are machines...'smiths out there might believe me to be full of bull, though...and THEY are the experts.)

Ol Zeke
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ol Zeke »

Weg wrote:Just pulled the bullets on 3 calibers of Wolf. 9mm attracted magnet, 7.62 x 39mm attracted magnet, .223 did not attract magnet, but is at least 5 years old, the other two being less than 6 monyhs old ( since I bought them).
:shock: Coulda' knocked me over with a feather... Just got up off my duff and did the same with Tul-Ammo 40S&W and Wolf 223.... both are attracted by the magnet.
:roll:

Pug
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pug »

Wow...just stumbled onto this post. I've got over 1000 rounds of 7.62 x 39mm in the can. I grabbed a magnet off of the fridge and "Bob's your Uncle," no attraction. Guess I dodged a bullet on this one...
:thumbs2:

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

be sure it's the bullet being attracted, and not the steel casing.
I shot my SKS up there at Ye Olde Bullet Trappe, and they did the magnet thing to a few rounds I had. Of course they were attracted. I told the "highly educated engineer" behind the counter that it was the casing, not the bullet. He took some pliars and removed the bullet for me, thusly proving my hypothesis.
I told him he owed me a round. He failed to repay me for that round. :cryin
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

boba

Post by boba »

webb3201

Post by webb3201 »

fulano wrote:Fyi...

Went to the Bullet Trap today. They asked the usual question "what are you shooting to day?" I said 9mm. They said "what kind?" I said Kahr. They said "no, what brand of ammo?"

Turns out that they have found by cutting into the bullets of the cartridges that Tulammo, Wolf, and Bear brands have steel jackets on some of their products and they won't allow it to be used there due to the possibility of excessive penetration of their backstops and the possibility of shattering and ricochets. Also they said the wear on the barrel would be excessive and that should concern the gun owner. I've never used these brands.

I browsed the Tulammo site and found a reference to "copper or bi-metal jacket. The bi-metal is perhaps steel and copper plate?
http://tulammousa.com/products/centerfi ... 9/#more-75" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All very strange. :headscratch
Very interesting. I go there and shoot weekly and have not been asked this. I will keep my ear out.
07/25/2009 - Online application complete
08/16/2009 - CHL Class
08/19/2009 - CHL Application Mailed
08/24/2009 - Application Received
09/21/2009 - CHL application processing
11/04/2009 - Application Approved
11/06/2009 - Plastic in hand

warhorse10_9

Post by warhorse10_9 »

webb3201 wrote:
fulano wrote:Fyi...

Went to the Bullet Trap today. They asked the usual question "what are you shooting to day?" I said 9mm. They said "what kind?" I said Kahr. They said "no, what brand of ammo?"

Turns out that they have found by cutting into the bullets of the cartridges that Tulammo, Wolf, and Bear brands have steel jackets on some of their products and they won't allow it to be used there due to the possibility of excessive penetration of their backstops and the possibility of shattering and ricochets. Also they said the wear on the barrel would be excessive and that should concern the gun owner. I've never used these brands.

I browsed the Tulammo site and found a reference to "copper or bi-metal jacket. The bi-metal is perhaps steel and copper plate?
http://tulammousa.com/products/centerfi ... 9/#more-75" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All very strange. :headscratch
Very interesting. I go there and shoot weekly and have not been asked this. I will keep my ear out.
Actually, I went there Monday and they had a sign on the counter saying they no longer allow cartridges with metal casings. It wasn't there when I went last wednesday.
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

OldSchool
Posts in topic: 4

Post by OldSchool »

Could this have all been a ruse just to eliminate metal casings from the brass before they sell it?
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

zero4o3

Post by zero4o3 »

OldSchool wrote:Could this have all been a ruse just to eliminate metal casings from the brass before they sell it?
at first I thought it was an aprilfools joke, but now I am thinking this :mrgreen:

Katygunnut
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Katygunnut »

OldSchool wrote:Could this have all been a ruse just to eliminate metal casings from the brass before they sell it?
I thought Brass was a metal (same as Nickel, Copper, etc., etc.). Am I mistaken on this?

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

Katygunnut wrote:
I thought Brass was a metal (same as Nickel, Copper, etc., etc.). Am I mistaken on this?
Maybe they took down the sign because they got tired of everyone pointing that out. "You know, brass IS metal."
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

Katygunnut
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Katygunnut »

MasterOfNone wrote:
Katygunnut wrote:
Maybe they took down the sign because they got tired of everyone pointing that out. "You know, brass IS metal."
Or everyone asking to buy some paper cased bullets so they could use the range.

I guess you could still shoot a Taurus Judge there as long as you only use .410 shells.

OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

Katygunnut wrote:
You're correct! It's a mixture (not alloy) of copper and zinc, so definitely a metal. Clearly they were *trying* to refer to iron alloys.
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

It is not hard to get the steel casing out of the brass. A magnet on a stick works great.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”