Buried Carry

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Rob Longenecker
Posts in topic: 1

Buried Carry

Post by Rob Longenecker »

I see people wearing IWB with the gun buried in their pants with the trigger guard way below the belt line and the grip barely accessible. I have people who request a low ride height like that with one of Tucker’s IWB holsters and strongly recommend against it. It can get you killed. It’s slow and risky under stress.

Here's the best suggestion I can offer on "buried carry": http://www.tuckergunleatherblog.com/200 ... ied-carry/[/url]

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I agree completely Rob.
Even tuckables should ride high enough to get a proper grip w/ the first reach. Another problem w/ the 2 finger half draw & then adjust to proper grip is the problem w/ physical assault that requires a one hand draw while fighting w/ the weak hand.

If I need it I want it NOW, firmly, & proper shooting grip w/o hand adjustment.
sure dont want to drop it w/ 2 fingers.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

propellerhead
Posts in topic: 2

Post by propellerhead »

What about ankle carry? Or Smartcarry? Or Thunderwear? Or women carrying in their purse? Or fanny packs? All those require extra motions to draw. Even with buried carry, I still feel so much safer than not carrying at all. Granted if someone gets a jump on me and beats me to a draw by half a second, I'm dead. I've seen it hundreds of times in cowboy movies. But not every situation that requires the use of a concealed handgun will be decided by a split second. Just by reading peoples' accounts on message boards, many situations were built up from a small confrontations. The CHL holder had plenty of time to assess the situation, attempt to deescalate it, and surely a lot of time to draw.

I'm not disagreeing entirely. We can "what if" this to death and it is good to be ready. I just feel not every situation will be decided by a split second draw. I carry low because it conceals better and it doesn't feel like the pistol will fall out. It may take me half a second longer to draw but at least I have it with me. Even carrying 24/7 means we still have to play the odds. No matter how quick you can draw, you still lose if someone blindsides you and shoots you from behind. If one were to live by the split second actions, then we should walk around holding our pistols by the grip, index finger on the trigger, and covered by a brown paper bag up to the wrist.

GlockenHammer

Post by GlockenHammer »

propellerhead wrote:What about ankle carry? Or Smartcarry? Or Thunderwear? Or women carrying in their purse? Or fanny packs? All those require extra motions to draw. Even with buried carry, I still feel so much safer than not carrying at all. Granted if someone gets a jump on me and beats me to a draw by half a second, I'm dead. I've seen it hundreds of times in cowboy movies. But not every situation that requires the use of a concealed handgun will be decided by a split second. Just by reading peoples' accounts on message boards, many situations were built up from a small confrontations. The CHL holder had plenty of time to assess the situation, attempt to deescalate it, and surely a lot of time to draw.

I'm not disagreeing entirely. We can "what if" this to death and it is good to be ready. I just feel not every situation will be decided by a split second draw. I carry low because it conceals better and it doesn't feel like the pistol will fall out. It may take me half a second longer to draw but at least I have it with me. Even carrying 24/7 means we still have to play the odds. No matter how quick you can draw, you still lose if someone blindsides you and shoots you from behind. If one were to live by the split second actions, then we should walk around holding our pistols by the grip, index finger on the trigger, and covered by a brown paper bag up to the wrist.
:iagree:

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

"Even with buried carry, I still feel so much safer than not carrying at all."

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking, but had not had sufficient coffee at the time for responding to what was perceived to be somewhat "scare tactics" for an upcoming holster commercial ... And I may still need another cup of coffee ... ;-)
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Skiprr »

Hey, Rob. Does Tucker actually wear an "Answer" for his personal, daily carry? I sorta thought he'd be leather all the way. I have an "Answer" on my Christmas list, and if I don't get it, I'll just have to buy one myself after the first.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

Skiprr wrote:Hey, Rob. Does Tucker actually wear an "Answer" for his personal, daily carry? I sorta thought he'd be leather all the way. I have an "Answer" on my Christmas list, and if I don't get it, I'll just have to buy one myself after the first.
I thought that's what "Santa" was for... to 'acquire' your gifts and leave them under the tree!
:idea: :grin: :shock: :lol:
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

Boxerrider

cant

Post by Boxerrider »

I'm skinny, 5'9" with long arms & carry an all steel Commander. I started with a VM2. It was pretty comfortable but printed badly when I sat or bent and I had to lift my arm an awkwardly long ways to draw.
Since I have tweaked pretty much everything I've owned to suit me I went to work on the holster. Ended up raising the front loop 1 3/4" thus increasing the cant to about 30 degrees. It lowered the pistol so the rear sight is a little above the top of my pants but kept the whole grip exposed. This also makes my draw a more fluid movement up and forward instead of up then forward as I had to do before.

Concealed carry will always be a compromise and no body/gun combination is alike.

Rob, as a carpenter I have refused jobs that either weren't to my standards or I felt the customer would be unhappy with later down the road. Not all of them liked that but at the end of it all it's my name on my product. I respect your work and your work ethic.

Enjoy!

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

I think the best thing anyone can do is simply this:

1. Have a gun.

2. Have it as readily accessible as your lifestyle and personal defense plan dictates. Do not follow mine, your neighbors, the Swat teams....etc

3. Train! An extra second to draw your weapon is not as likely to cause your demise as is poor training. A lightning fast draw is worthless if you draw at the wrong time, can't hit what you're aiming at, or can't function at all because of the stress.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

MTICop

Post by MTICop »

flintknapper wrote:I think the best thing anyone can do is simply this:

1. Have a gun.

2. Have it as readily accessible as your lifestyle and personal defense plan dictates. Do not follow mine, your neighbors, the Swat teams....etc

3. Train! An extra second to draw your weapon is not as likely to cause your demise as is poor training. A lightning fast draw is worthless if you draw at the wrong time, can't hit what you're aiming at, or can't function at all because of the stress.
I would have to agree. Training, or the lack thereof, is what can make or break any situation. Practice makes perfect and we all know or should know you "play" like you "practice".

Both sides make good points but I do have to agree that training is key.
Adversity doesn't build character....it reveals it.

USAF (Retired)
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I appreciate this post. I'm a buried carry person, and this gives me something to think about.
Thank you.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Tote 9

Post by Tote 9 »

GlockenHammer wrote:
propellerhead wrote:What about ankle carry? Or Smartcarry? Or Thunderwear? Or women carrying in their purse? Or fanny packs? All those require extra motions to draw. Even with buried carry, I still feel so much safer than not carrying at all. Granted if someone gets a jump on me and beats me to a draw by half a second, I'm dead. I've seen it hundreds of times in cowboy movies. But not every situation that requires the use of a concealed handgun will be decided by a split second. Just by reading peoples' accounts on message boards, many situations were built up from a small confrontations. The CHL holder had plenty of time to assess the situation, attempt to deescalate it, and surely a lot of time to draw.

:iagree:

:iagree: :iagree:

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

This is the backscatter x-ray that is being proposed for security. ( http://www.drudgereport.com ) How deep is this carry? :lol:

Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

GlockenHammer

Post by GlockenHammer »

Greybeard wrote:"Even with buried carry, I still feel so much safer than not carrying at all."

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking, but had not had sufficient coffee at the time for responding to what was perceived to be somewhat "scare tactics" for an upcoming holster commercial ... And I may still need another cup of coffee ... ;-)
I had a good chuckle and agreed with your sentiment. But then I thought "scare tactics" was a little strongly worded. Then I went back and read the original post...
Rob Longenecker wrote:I have people who request a low ride height like that with one of Tucker’s IWB holsters and strongly recommend against it. It can get you killed. It’s slow and risky under stress.
While I can't outright say Rob is wrong (one could easily dream up such a scenario), it does appear that the language is a bit harsh. I do agree that all else being equal, a holster worn to provide a good 'combat grip' before being drawn is preferred.

That said, I echo propellerhead and others who acknowledge that speed of deployment is not the only consideration when carrying. Heck tonight I was out walking among the Christmas lights and wore thick gloves. I wondered if I would even be able to get my finger in the trigger guard or if I'd need to remove the glove before the draw. Does that mean I shouldn't wear gloves? After all, it might get me killed. :willynilly:

Heck, I've even worn in smart carry, fanny packs and (gasp) off-body. In my mind, the key is to (a) use the most effective method you can for the circumstances and (b) realize the deficiencies of your carry method and take that into account in your reaction to a threat. In my case tonight, that was to take off the gloves the instant I go from yellow to orange.

But all else being equal, I agree with Rob that it is better to have a holster ride such that you can get a full combat grip while the pistol is still holstered. I'm rather fond of my holster in that I can adjust the ride height and cant until I find the best compromise for my body, pistol, carry location and cover garments. Your mileage may vary.

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

Whoa! I just saw the same post on two other gun message boards I read. Who knows how many more?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”