Kahr to Pay $600K in Gun-Death Lawsuit

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
i8godzilla
Posts in topic: 3

Kahr to Pay $600K in Gun-Death Lawsuit

Post by i8godzilla »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... ddba67c027" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOSTON (AP) — A Massachusetts gun-maker has agreed to pay nearly $600,000 to the families of one man killed and another man wounded in a shooting involving a gun allegedly stolen from the company.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/ ... WD20110726" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"We have had a number of shocking reminders of the killing power of firearms," said acting Brady Center President Dennis Henigan Tuesday.

"That death toll (in Norway) from gun violence on a single day was regarded as a historic event, but that was less than occurs in our country on a single day."
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

doc540
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Kahr to Pay $600K in Gun-Death Lawsuit

Post by doc540 »

"The lawsuit alleged that the gun was stolen and later sold by a Kahr employee with a criminal record."

There's the fly in the ointment.
http://www.train2shoot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"

extremist

Post by extremist »

That is so wrong.

Too bad Kahr didn't want to fight it anymore, probably sucking up too much lawyer money :mad5

James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Topic author
i8godzilla
Posts in topic: 3

Post by i8godzilla »

AndyC wrote:
Have to have a Google account to view that, it seems :(
I was not aware that a Google account was required.

Here is the AP link: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... TE=DEFAULT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

So if smothered with a pillow stolen from a pillow factory by an employee with a criminal record ...
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Neglience and allowing a criminal to possess or handle firearms. I guess this is why they settled. How do you allow a felon to work in a firearms company?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

still, without a bullet/cartridge ... they are just OK hammers

Wonder if any knife manufacturers/ car manufacturers have employees with a record

People get stabbed and run over too

but I dunno all the details, if it was foreseeable negligence, yeah ok, but I dislike the "blame the object/manufacturer"

In many counties, (people swinging) Louisville slugger baseball bats killed more people than (people who fired bullets from) guns did .... gotta wonder if any of their employees have a record

I"ve seen on TV people getting pistol whipped or hit with a rifle butt, but "gun deaths" are rare ... most people who die from getting shot it's because a bullet hit them and those should be called bullet deaths imho.

bullet deaths could occur by throwing them in a campfire ...

I know I'm rambling ... I just dislike "gun death" term and blaming a manufacturer of an object, else we should sure car makers for drunk driving wrecks.

A gun needs ammo
a drunk driver needs a car and alcohol.

sorry /end rant... now the Kahr I want will cost more :lol:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Lodge2004

Post by Lodge2004 »

RPB wrote:I"ve seen on TV people getting pistol whipped or hit with a rifle butt, but "gun deaths" are rare ... most people who die from getting shot it's because a bullet hit them and those should be called bullet deaths imho.
:iagree: A great exchange from the movie Collateral -

Max: You killed him?
Vincent: No, I shot him. Bullets and the fall killed him

Lodge2004

Post by Lodge2004 »

Beiruty wrote:Neglience and allowing a criminal to possess or handle firearms. I guess this is why they settled. How do you allow a felon to work in a firearms company?
Agreed, but then again, Smith & Wesson had a felon (James Minder) on their Board of Directors who was later appointed Chairman and had to resign in 2004 when it became public that he'd served 15 years for multiple armed robberies including a bank heist.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

The most recent BATFE AFMER report I could quickly find showed Kahr manufactured 41,000 firearms in 2009. So this settlement represents $14 and change from every firearm they made. Their legal fees were probably another $100k on top of that.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

PvilleStang

Post by PvilleStang »

Interesting they didn't take the Michael Moore approach and sue Target or Walmart for selling ammo. Or the ammunition company for providing the lethal rounds.

I don't misspell words, the pencil does!
Hook 'em!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Doesn't this verdict fly in the face of federal law? I thought the law indemnifies manufacturers from the consequences of misuse of their products. Of course, this is in Massachusetts. Too bad Kahr doesn't want to pursue it. I think they'd win in federal court.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”