Gun Insurance....worth it ot not?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Kevinf2349
Posts in topic: 3

Gun Insurance....worth it ot not?

Post by Kevinf2349 »

I am at the point where my homeowners insurance is not sufficient for the contents of my gun safe and was wondering if it is worth getting seperate insurance for the attitude adjusters. :fire

I know that I have NRA coverage for each one up to $1000 but was considering looking for additional coverage. My home owners insruance is quoting about $190 a year, which seems high to me but it does cover full replacement and is would cover additional guns up to half the value of the home.

I was wondering what other folks do about insurance. Is it worth getting additional coverage or am I just throwing good gun purchasing cash away? If it is worth getting are there any suggestions as to which offers the best bang for the buck? :tiphat:

Thanks in advance.
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun Insurance....worth it ot not?

Post by mojo84 »

Depending on the total value of your gun collection, $190 may be a fair price. Most carriers use their own policy forms so we cannot say anything definitively about your specific policy without seeing it. I am curious to know more about the limit of additional insurance up to half the value of your home. Are they saying that limit is included in the $190 premium to schedule the guns?

My wife has been in the personal lines insurance business for 25 years and would be happy to review your insurance and situation and offer a second opinion. If interested, send me a PM.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Without going into irrelevant detail, my gun insurance alongside my homeowner's and personal liability insurance was cheaper than a safe. Of course, I'm not speaking of a 20, 30 or 40 year long haul situation and our house does have an alarm system and it doesn't allow juveniles admission.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Kevinf2349 wrote:I am at the point where my homeowners insurance is not sufficient for the contents of my gun safe and was wondering if it is worth getting seperate insurance for the attitude adjusters. :fire

I know that I have NRA coverage for each one up to $1000 but was considering looking for additional coverage. My home owners insruance is quoting about $190 a year, which seems high to me but it does cover full replacement and is would cover additional guns up to half the value of the home.

I was wondering what other folks do about insurance. Is it worth getting additional coverage or am I just throwing good gun purchasing cash away? If it is worth getting are there any suggestions as to which offers the best bang for the buck? :tiphat:

Thanks in advance.
Wrong you are grasshopper, the NRA give you $2500 in insurance for $25 a year. BTW, I'm an NRA recruiter and can give you more info if you need it.
http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/members.htm

flechero

Post by flechero »

A "personal articles" writer attached to your homeowner's policy will afford you much better protection. In my case, State Farm offers coverage that includes theft, loss, and damage. Same as they do with the jewelry writer. In my case, insuring the various carry pieces was what made most sense, as they are the ones that may get left in a car or be most likely to have something happen to them. The writer, although attached to the homeowner's policy, covers them anywhere the item goes, since it's insuring a specific item, not the generic home and contents. The $5000 that is standard in my homeowner's policy will cover the bulk of the hunting guns. And unless someone steals the whole safe, I'm ok.

boba

Post by boba »

Kevinf2349 wrote:My home owners insruance is quoting about $190 a year, which seems high to me but it does cover full replacement and is would cover additional guns up to half the value of the home.
That sounds like and excuse to buy more guns. A lot more guns. :mrgreen:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Get insurance AND buy a good safe.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

WildBill wrote:Get insurance AND buy a good safe.
Good safe? Check :biggrinjester:

Insurance? Working on it :evil2:

04/24/09 - CHL Class

NRA & TSRA Member

Mike from Texas

Post by Mike from Texas »

Kevinf2349 wrote:I am at the point where my homeowners insurance is not sufficient for the contents of my gun safe and was wondering if it is worth getting seperate insurance for the attitude adjusters. :fire

Thanks in advance.
If you don't mind me asking, who is your insurance company? I know that State Farm has a $5k limit of gun coverage when part f your standard HO policy.

They will gladly write a PAP, but they want make, model # and serial number as well as appraisals for "high value" items. No, thanks.

The NRA insurance only requires you to declare firearms over $2500 value but they still do not want any serial # info on them.
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

Topic author
Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Mike

I am with ASI for home insurance but I am definately leaning towrds going with the NRA for the gun insurance. I figure I may as well support them rather than some other insurance company.

:tiphat:

Kevin

04/24/09 - CHL Class

NRA & TSRA Member

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

I have a specified items policy, which covers fire, theft, etc. It's not very expensive as a percentage of value.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”