Carrying the LCP, P238, G33, and the 1911...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Shinesintx
Posts in topic: 1

Carrying the LCP, P238, G33, and the 1911...

Post by Shinesintx »

As much as I hate shooting the LCP, I still occasionally find myself putting it in my pocket on certain occasions. The P238 is wider and heavier, but shoots so much sweeter due to lack of recoil and the night sights. The P238 has turned into my primary carry weapon but most of the time I end up wearing whatever I feel like wearing that day. Sometimes I will carry my G33...and sometimes my Kimber 1911 Ultra Carry. One of these days I will carry my Kimber Solo (thats been paid off for 6 months)...if it ever comes in.

I guess my question is this: Does anyone else CC multiple handguns? Probably gonna get flamed for not sticking with just one weapon...but I practice with each. Go ahead and voice your opinion if ya think its stupid. I am more than willing to listen.

74novaman

Re: Carrying the LCP, P238, G33, and the 1911...

Post by 74novaman »

As long as you're proficient with your choices, I don't see any reason not to own and carry multiple guns.

That being said, I'd be hesitant to switch from the safety style of my 1911s/Hipower (sweep down to disengage) to a switch up to fire style.

Depending on the day/dress/weather, I'll wear anything from a full size 1911 to nothing but a 5 shot .357.
TANSTAAFL

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

Nope, I don't think it's a stupid idea. There is a lot of talk about confusion when the mess hits the fan and what not... but I've been there and done that. Granted, the mess hit the fan in a different kind of situation... but contrary to what I've read and what most folks assume, you dont lose all sense when these things happen. As a matter of fact, if you have trained well, your life will slow down to about .000000000000001 mph when the mess hits the fan. Everything is in slow motion, and each move you make is clear and decisive. Now, that is ONLY if you have trained for it, and trained well. Standard range shooting wont work. You need pressure... lots of it.

With that said, I carry 3 different guns on a regular basis: Glock 26, Glock 30, and a S&W Bodyguard .380. Know how to use them, and know how to draw them. Between these 3 handguns, I am basically able to wear whatever I want, be it shorts and T shirt or slacks and a tucked in long sleeved shirt, and in holsters from smartcarry, ankle, pocket, shoulder rigs, and IWB/OWB holsters.

No shame or fault for carrying different weapons in different ways, but my personal, hard earned advice is to be prepared, and know your weapon systems.
No More Signature

RubenZ

Post by RubenZ »

I switch between a LCP and a Full Size 1911. Weather just hasn't gotten cool enough for me to use 1911. The LCP is awesome imo. I wear when riding a bike, wearing shorts and sandals and going to local dollar store etc. etc. I would like to get something in between though to wear on my more casual days. The 1911 I can almost conceal with a IWB and shirt tucked out but it still prints up a TAD. I think something in between LCP and 1911 would hit the spot. Just don't know to get yet.

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

No problem with that as long as the firearm is reliable and you practice with it on a regular basis. I have 6 that could be a main carry but two of them are carried 95% of the time. Glock 20 and 27. All of the others are paper target guns, glove box guns or handguns that are specific to my better half for the most part. I carry a back up snub on my ankle or pocket about 75% of the time also.

Tow2500

Post by Tow2500 »

I have 3 different ccw's that i carry and am very accurate with all 3...

LSL

Post by LSL »

RubenZ wrote:I switch between a LCP and a Full Size 1911. Weather just hasn't gotten cool enough for me to use 1911. The LCP is awesome imo. I wear when riding a bike, wearing shorts and sandals and going to local dollar store etc. etc. I would like to get something in between though to wear on my more casual days. The 1911 I can almost conceal with a IWB and shirt tucked out but it still prints up a TAD. I think something in between LCP and 1911 would hit the spot. Just don't know to get yet.
Consider the SPG XDM 3.8 in choice of caliber -- 9mm, .40 or soon to arrive, .45.
My primary is an LC9, but the XDM will nicely fit IWB with the shorter magazine under a vest or jacket.
Noli Voluntare Usque Vocaris / lsl
SA XDM 3.8c 9mm and Ruger LC9 -- each in a <tripleTholsters.com> IWB
Walther P22

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

I don't see a problem with carrying different platforms as long as you are proficient enough with all of them that you won't mess up the manual of arms in an emergency. For example, if you've been practicing with your 1911 and P238 and and try to swipe off the safety on your Glock, it's not an issue. However, if you've been practicing with your G33 and forget to disengage the safety on one of your other guns, it could be a problem.

That's the reason I only carry guns with the same firing procedure. The only two guns I carry are a Glock 19 and a S&W 642. Very different guns, but same procedure--point and shoot, no safety to worry about. If I were you, I'd switch to SAO guns only--that covers your 1911, P238, and the Solo when it arrives.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

I don't think there's a problem with multiple carry guns as long as the manual of arms is basically the same. That's one of the few advantages to Israeli carry.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”