Anyone carrying OWB and at least a size 2XL?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
txcshooter
Posts in topic: 1

Anyone carrying OWB and at least a size 2XL?

Post by txcshooter »

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who carries concealed OWB and is at least a size 2XL? I'm also wondering what kind of holster are you using and what type of clothing?
Taurus G2s, Rossi .22lr rifle, Mossberg 20ga p/a
"If guns kill people, then spoons make people fat!" -unknown

Teamless

Re: Anyone carrying OWB and at least a size 2XL?

Post by Teamless »

I have been known to carry a little OWB and an 2XL to 3XL, depending what week it is when my weight goes up or down.

I have a "Shielded Holster" (have to order via email)

Looks pretty much like a Crossbreed IWB, but also has belt slots in it, so you can remove the IWB clips and just use the OWB slots.
I do not carry OWB much, as I do need a better holster for it, but also need more clothing to cover.
I don't wear suits or jackets normally, so when I do OWB, it is with a Hawaiian type shirt normally
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I am a 1.5-2X I carry OWB more than half the time. My primary carry gun is a full size M&P I use a Don Hume 721OT or a JIT for OWB and a Cross Breed Supertuck for IWB. I carry from time to time a Government size 1911 or a High Power all in the same style of holsters. I buy shirts that fit loosley and wear them untucked over a T shirt in the Summer and don't worry in the winter time as I will have a jacket or zippered hoodie on.

The secret to concealed carry is to dress around the gun(s). Shirts that are a size larger help a lot.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

michael e

Post by michael e »

I use crossbreed, usually only carry OWB when I wear a jersey since they are longer. It works fine with up to full size Glock, when try using my longslides the barrels are too far past bottom of shirts. Subcompacts and compacts are great.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

6'1", 240#. I primarily carry OWB, Glock 19 in a DeSantis Nemesis.

I don't think it's different than for anyone else--good holster (I like pancake types), good belt (Wilderness Instructor's belt or 5.11 leather belt [got a bunch free with some pants]), clothes a bit on the large size (which doesn't look ridiculous on us men of girth as it would on some skinny little guy).

Mostly it's accumulating a variety of clothes that work for carry--I've had a CHL for about 5 years now and have a pretty good carry wardrobe. I wear a lot of cargo pants and untucked button-down shirts. 5.11 Tactical has a lot of clothes in their "Covert Casual" line that work well for concealment but don't look like tactical clothing--I wear a lot of it for work too (white collar environment). Their stuff is a bit pricey, but you can frequently get it at a significant discount when LA Police Gear puts it on special/closeout.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I more than qualify as 2XL. In fact, I'd like to get down to a 2XL, and I carry OWB. With my 1911s, it is one of two Galco Concealable Belt Holsters (depending on whether it is my 3" or 5" gun I'm carrying). With my M&P45 I use a Kirkpatrick Under Cover holster. With my Kahr PM9, I use a Mitch Rosen Express Line Belt Slide Holster. And finally, for my M&P340, I have a Fist #10 Shortcut.

Keep in mind however that with the last two pistols, I am more likely to pocket carry them rather than carrying them on my belt. They are both "grab and go" guns.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

wharvey

Post by wharvey »

I'd guess I wear 2XL, 42 to 44 inch waist. When I carry OWB I use a Kramer speed scabbard for my S&W 6944. Printing is not a problem, just have to make sure my cover garment is long enough. Usually carry IWB due to the chance of the garment riding up. Depending on the state, that may or may not be a concern.
Bill Harvey

License to Carry Handgun - Indiana, since Aug 1997
CHL - Texas, since Aug 2011

stroo

Post by stroo »

I am 2 xl also. Generally use a Hume JIT OWB and wear a shirt one size larger.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Buy a Raven Concealment and be done with it. I' m six foot and 260 and I wear a 1911Raven owb.
Last edited by mrvmax on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Reloader

Post by Reloader »

ME. Anything that Greg Kramer makes as an IWB or OWB..Hides under a polo. S&W 629 4"
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor
Amateur radio Instructor, VE KE5LDO
Tarleton State University '74

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

3xl and I carry my 1911's in a Don Hume slide and the XD's actually are carried in the holsters provided

3x shirts untucked (unless I am in a jacket)
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

RPBrown wrote:3xl and I carry my 1911's in a Don Hume slide and the XD's actually are carried in the holsters provided

3x shirts untucked (unless I am in a jacket)
That pretty much sums it for me too. Don Hume's First Agent and J.I.T. slide holsters do well - by me.

It takes two hands for a whopper! :smilelol5:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I am a 2XL and also use a Hume JIT . It works well with a long shirt and good belt, I carry my Ruger P95 with it, Carry at 2, 3, 4 O'clock . Still need to be careful raising Hands overhead, or getting out of a car.

My best Concealment is with a Desantis IWB Super tuck plus, a Beretta Storm SC. Smaller gun and IWB makes things stay hidden. My Beretta p92 in a Nylon Uncle Mike hides real well IWB at Small of back, its just plain torture if driving for more than a 1/2 hour. This is almost no printing though and is pretty comfortable for walking about.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

muleman

Post by muleman »

I carry OWB almost all the time now. I use a holster from El Paso saddlery. Cover with even a t-shirt. Heres a link

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-73-9-88-st ... lster.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sometimes I just carry the LCP in a fobus paddle holster. LOVE that little combo! Have even clipped that on my sweat pants or wind suit, and once even on the waisband of my boxers when I walked up to the barn

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”