Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 4

STI "Guardian"

Post by Scott in Houston »

I am very close to buying this gun.

It's a slightly shorter than Commander length slide with an Officer's length grip. I was told it will fit any Commander sized holster.
I saw one for the first time in person today. What a beauty, and it feels amazing in my hands. The trigger is fantastic as well, however, I also looked at the Ranger II (full size) 1911 from STI, and that trigger felt slightly better.

I can get it for $999, but all the places in Dallas and Houston I've checked are asking $1100 which is MSRP.

Does anyone here own this gun? Or anyone with experience care to comment?
Any thoughts or comments welcome.

Factory Photo below...

A-R
Posts in topic: 1

Re: STI "Guardian"

Post by A-R »

shooting buddy of mine has one of these and I've fired it a few different times. VERY nice 1911 - as are most of the STIs I've shot.

He has mentioned in the past that he's had problems finding a holster to fit it properly.

APynckel
Posts in topic: 2

Post by APynckel »

A-R wrote:shooting buddy of mine has one of these and I've fired it a few different times. VERY nice 1911 - as are most of the STIs I've shot.

He has mentioned in the past that he's had problems finding a holster to fit it properly.
If you pick up a crossbreed supertuck deluxe for a non-railed 1911, it should fit perfectly.
NRA Lifetime Member

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

My $0.02 would be to GET IT RIGHT NOW!

This guy uses/used a Galco holster for his STI Guardian. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthr ... p=13819057

APynckel
Posts in topic: 2

Post by APynckel »

hi-power wrote:My $0.02 would be to GET IT RIGHT NOW!

This guy uses/used a Galco holster for his STI Guardian. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthr ... p=13819057
Agree with this. STI is on a huge backorder at the moment as their pistols are in high demand. If there's a new STI that you're looking for at MSRP, drop the cash for it. It's better than waiting.
NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Thanks guys! I may end up getting it tomorrow or Wednesday. Wow. This is exciting. :anamatedbanana

EDIT: I found 2 stores with it in stock. One has it for $999, but it must be shipped and the other has it for $1100, so it's not that much more to get it at the brick & mortar store. Woohoo :thewave

Slowride

Post by Slowride »

I have one in 9mm. It shoots real sweet except for an occasional FTE, 1 or 2 every 100 rounds. I sent it back to STI and they reamed and polished the chamber and checked the extractor. Then I couldn't get through a magazine without 1 or 2 FTEs. I had a local gunsmith install an Ed Brown extractor and oversize firing pin stop. Now it does okay if it is squeaky clean and well oiled but still an occasional FTE. I won't trust it for carry.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Slowride wrote:I have one in 9mm. It shoots real sweet except for an occasional FTE, 1 or 2 every 100 rounds. I sent it back to STI and they reamed and polished the chamber and checked the extractor. Then I couldn't get through a magazine without 1 or 2 FTEs. I had a local gunsmith install an Ed Brown extractor and oversize firing pin stop. Now it does okay if it is squeaky clean and well oiled but still an occasional FTE. I won't trust it for carry.

They returned the gun to you knowing it wouldn't finish a magazine without an issue?? :shock:

RECIT

Post by RECIT »

Scott in Houston wrote:
Slowride wrote:I have one in 9mm. It shoots real sweet except for an occasional FTE, 1 or 2 every 100 rounds. I sent it back to STI and they reamed and polished the chamber and checked the extractor. Then I couldn't get through a magazine without 1 or 2 FTEs. I had a local gunsmith install an Ed Brown extractor and oversize firing pin stop. Now it does okay if it is squeaky clean and well oiled but still an occasional FTE. I won't trust it for carry.

They returned the gun to you knowing it wouldn't finish a magazine without an issue?? :shock:

I doubt they knew, they probably assumed it was fixed. We all know what people say about assumptions though... :totap:
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

Topic author
Scott in Houston

RECIT wrote:
Scott in Houston wrote:

I doubt they knew, they probably assumed it was fixed. We all know what people say about assumptions though... :totap:
I just re-read it. I mistakenly read his comment as "They couldn't get through a magazine without 1 or 2 FTEs."

Either way, that's really a shame. That's an expensive, untrustworthy gun!

Slowride

Post by Slowride »

The receipt stated they had fired 100 rounds with no issue. I didn't get through the first magazine. I should have sent it back in, I'm sure they would have made it right but it was just easier to let someone local(Lock and Load in Tyler) work on it. I would still buy another STI as it shoots really nice but probably not a 9mm 1911.

Seabear

Post by Seabear »

Slowride wrote:The receipt stated they had fired 100 rounds with no issue. I didn't get through the first magazine. I should have sent it back in, I'm sure they would have made it right but it was just easier to let someone local(Lock and Load in Tyler) work on it. I would still buy another STI as it shoots really nice but probably not a 9mm 1911.
What magazine did they put in it.

I had a student with an Elecktra 9mm that they sent out with a metal Form mag. Would not run till I loaned her one of my mags. Pathetic really. Beautiful gun completely useless as they sent it out. Couldn't get through one single mag.

People make fun of my Taurus PT1911 9mm till they see me shoot it. Guess what???? The only time it acts up is with the same Piece of Junk Metal form mags. It works well with Kimber and Wilson Combat mags, as well as the MecGar mags it came with.

Don't accept mediocre performance.

Why would you buy another one if they can't make this one run right? :banghead: :headscratch
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

Slowride

Post by Slowride »

I'm not sure of the brand of magazine it came with as it does not have a name on it. I have a few Kimber magazines but it doesn't seem to make any difference which ones I use.

solaritx

Post by solaritx »

Have you had other people try and shoot it as well and get FTE???

I had several students over the years that have had problems with their guns. "It's always doing this for me". Ok, go through the normal issues....and then I take the weapon and fire mag after mag thru it....freestyle, strong hand, weak hand, etc with no problem using their ammo, their mags, etc.

It came down to grip and letting the arms absorb the recoil on occasional rounds. No matter how good or bad the bow and arrow....one always has to consider the indian.
Now IF it is doing it for mulitple shooters, then.........

but if they truely did fire 100 rounds with no problems and now it's back in your hands and problems again....this might be worth looking at. (I know- the general response..."I never weak wrist a round" but I would have multiple shooters runs some of your mags and ammo and at least really take this out of the picture)

RiverRat

Post by RiverRat »

I have been carrying an STI Guardian in .45ACP for a couple of years and haven't had any failures of any kind in over 1500 rounds using the cheapo Italian ACT-MAG (I have eight of them). There is no lack of trust at my house. Maybe its a 9mm issue??
Life member NRA and TSRA

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”