Cato Institute Defensive Gun Use Map

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
OldCannon
Posts in topic: 1

Cato Institute Defensive Gun Use Map

Post by OldCannon »

So the folks at Cato are doing something really cool, by putting a comprehensive map that shows all defensive uses of weapons in the US. They are crowdsourcing this, in that they are asking everybody to contribute what information they can, with at least one reference-able source required per entry. It would be great if the Texas CHL community can contribute a lot more information. Currently the map is pretty sparse in Texas, but I know there's a wealth of data.

Let's help make this map something worth sharing with all our anti friends :clapping:

http://www.cato.org/guns-and-self-defense/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Salty1

Re: Cato Institute Defensive Gun Use Map

Post by Salty1 »

I submitted a story from the Crime Blotter section, I want to see if they will post it as the other items on the map tend to go back a few years. If they are keeping this current I agree that everybody should assist with it, maybe even make it a "sticky" in the Crime Blotter section and post it on other forums as well.... good find...................
Salty1

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

A great way to add to this would be using the NRAs archived "armed citizen" reports. They mention dates and locations, so newspaper references shouldn't be too hard to dig up.
TANSTAAFL

SAK

Post by SAK »

Pratt on Texas is a local radio show in Lubbock. He keeps up with stories from Texas where people use self defense against criminals.

He calls it the Anti-Wimp update. Here is a link. Someone should clue in Cato about his page & the NRA page.

http://prattontexas.com/antiwimpshell.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

tweet i saw seconds ago
@Natl_Gun_Rights NatlGunRights
Ever used a gun to defend yourself? Put it on the map at CATO! Like this and share it with your friends so they... fb.me/1ecYTqzot http://t.co/Fmat4bMW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1 minute ago
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

fulano

Post by fulano »

Hummm..this doesn't appear to be very current. I get a weekly newspaper from Madison County, Montana and there are several reports per year of handguns used in self defense with animal attacks just in the southwestern Montana area. The one Montana 'animal' attack on this map has dates to 1969 and 2007 for the same incident.

I would say that the idea is great.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

The map is very incomplete.............they don't even have the Joe Horn incident on there :headscratch
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

I know, I find several a week and tweet news links, if they followed me on Twitter, they'd be more complete,

lol I wrote to them telling them that
_PatJohnson_ Pat Johnson
PREGNANT TEEN W/GUN stops Intruder In Thru Doggie Door: myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/crime… #guns #gunrights #tcot #gop #Libertarian @nraila #crime #2A
21 seconds ago
Pat Johnson
_PatJohnson_ Pat Johnson
Burglar Shot By Homeowner bit.ly/y9TUIM #guns #gunrights #tcot #gop #tlot #tiot #wcot #Teaparty #Libertarian @nraila #crime #2A
3 minutes ago
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”