308 Ammo?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
DustinB
Posts in topic: 3

308 Ammo?

Post by DustinB »

Does anyone know a good place to get cheap 308 ammo by the 500-1000 packs? I've searched around online and wasn't able to find much, most everyone is sold out. The next cheapest place was T's in Texas City, but they wanted $110 per 200 rounds. I'm looking for prices in the area of $300-400 per thousand or less.

On tuesday I'm going to be buying a DPMS Panther LR-308AP4. I don't plan to shoot it a whole lot, but I don't want to pay 50 cents per round just to shoot it.

Another option would be for me to start reloading it, but I wouldn't have any idea where to begin or if I could even save money off practice ammo. No idea what types of powders to use or where I can even get decently priced bullets/brass. I load mainly pistol rounds but my press has the ability to load rifle rounds, Dillon 550B.

Any sources for cheap ammo, 308 reloading knowledge, or any comments on this rifle would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

cyphur
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cyphur »

I buy my .308 plinking ammo at gun shows, reloads with once-fired brass. At 100yds its as accurate as anything you'll find(if not more so). Dallas Reloading?

You can probably find a very similar shop in your area. More ya buy, the cheaper it is....however you will be hard-pressed to beat the cost savings of reloading .308 from what I hear. Eventually I'll get into myself when space permits.

Freedom4All

Post by Freedom4All »

I have not done business with either of these guys but here are a couple of options from places I have added to my bookmarks.

I see they have some WWB 147 gr. .308 here for $495:

http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog/index ... ath=24_100

And here is some 168gr. .308 at $274/500, not quite at the prices that you are looking for but close:

http://surplusammo.com/index.php?cPath= ... lter_id=12

Houston1944

Post by Houston1944 »

Being a reloader I always have to recommend that everyone reload, although I know it is not practical for all due to various reasons. Since you already have the 550 your startup cost will be much lower than others.
I reload 308 for accuracy in a bolt action so not all of my experience is applicable to reloading for a semi-auto. Assuming you can recover most of your brass then brass is a one time investment with just an annual replacement cost. You can buy once fired 308 brass for 60 / 65 per 500 plus freight. Match bullets will run around .22, and bulk standard bullets can be found for around .15. Powder will cost about .13 per round and primers about .02. After obtaining brass the totals are .37 each for match grade rounds and .30 for practice rounds. Powder and primers are the fixed cost, the bullet is the big variable. Find some cheap bullets and the cost per round drops significantly.

I really wish you had not posted this question. I looked at what you are about to purchase and now I want one!!!

onerifle

Post by onerifle »

Although I've yet to order from them, I do know people that have, and I have yet to hear anything negative. You may want to look into:

http://www.ammoman.com/
"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes- a man who does not ask is a fool forever."

HankB

Post by HankB »

cyphur wrote:I buy my .308 plinking ammo at gun shows, reloads with once-fired brass . . .
If you go this route, be very, very, sure that you're buying from a regular commercial reloader who's licensed and insured with a real address . . . personally, I don't use gun show reloads because of QC concerns.

I think some of the guys selling reloads at the gun shows are just guys with a Dillon in the garage, and they - or their wife, kid, brother, whatever - spend their spare time pulling the handle while watching NASCAR or something on TV. I really don't think I want to put their ammo through any of my own guns . . .
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Topic author
DustinB

Post by DustinB »

Finally picked up my AR today and got the scope mounted. Going to shoot it sunday hopefully.

DPMS LR-308AP4

j1132s

Post by j1132s »

Nice looking rifle! Please let us know how it shoots.

AG-EE

Post by AG-EE »

Good looking rifle.

I have ordered from http://www.ammoman.com several times and have been pleased. The price on the page includes shipping also.

MadDawg

Post by MadDawg »

Ahhh there it is. Nice LR308AP4!!!! I'm drooling. Next week I'm headed south!

MadDawg

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

DustinB wrote:Finally picked up my AR today and got the scope mounted. Going to shoot it sunday hopefully.

DPMS LR-308AP4

Wow, that is beautiful. :cool:

bdsnooks

Post by bdsnooks »

Hi Dustin,

Try http://www.centuryarms.biz/index.asp
Usually has some pretty good deals----be warned that a lot of their ammo is surplus and CORROSIVE.

Good luck!
After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring.
He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.
The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.

Topic author
DustinB

Post by DustinB »

Thanks for the links, I decided I'm just going to start reloading it. I have 400 rounds of top quality ammo I'm saving the brass from.

Also took a better pic of the gun, had to get me a rubber pad, after 60 rounds I was pretty sore. Got to shoot it last sunday, I was able to get just under 1/2" groups at 100 yards with remington match ammo.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”