I just had a close encounter...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I just had a close encounter...

Post by G.A. Heath »

Oldgringo wrote:... we spotted a pack/covey/gaggle/herd (?) of wild hogs...
That would be called a "Sounder"

But I will say that coyotes, Mountain Lions, Bobcats, and other wild animals are extremely adaptive. The can, and will, adapt very well to an urban environment while most people will never even notice them. Hogs tend not to adapt to an environment, they prefer to destroy it. Unfortunately our drought conditions state wide have forced wild, and feral, animals to come closer to and even into civilisation. This means that people will encounter them far more than usual and a large number of animals will not return to their previous habitats when the drought ends as they will discover that we keep food conviently grown and/or trapped for them to harvest. This can be dangerous for humans and the wildlife, especially if said wild life gets used to being around people.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

G.A. Heath wrote:

But I will say that coyotes, Mountain Lions, Bobcats, and other wild animals are extremely adaptive. The can, and will, adapt very well to an urban environment while most people will never even notice them. Hogs tend not to adapt to an environment, they prefer to destroy it. Unfortunately our drought conditions state wide have forced wild, and feral, animals to come closer to and even into civilisation. This means that people will encounter them far more than usual and a large number of animals will not return to their previous habitats when the drought ends as they will discover that we keep food conviently grown and/or trapped for them to harvest. This can be dangerous for humans and the wildlife, especially if said wild life gets used to being around people.
Thank you and I think you are correct on the adaptive statement. This is not the first time we've seen these hogs in this general area in broad daylight. These sightings have been many months apart.

Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

They're all over the place. My partner and I saw one running across the Bush one night around Frankford.
It blew us away at first but then we thought about it and it didn't seem so far fetched.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

G.A. Heath wrote:

We had this problem with mountain lions and black bears in the foothill communities along the San Gabriel mountains in southern California. One of my friends from church had a mountain lion in his back yard in Monrovia about 10-12 years ago that holed up there, couldn't be trapped and wouldn't leave. Fish & Game officers had to put it down finally. Another family I knew caught a bear on video swimming in their pool.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rentz

Post by rentz »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wow!!! I wonder what the deal is? My neighborhood sends out emails when we are having pets attacked. It seems like the past year has been more cases than usual. I live about 300 yards from a "greenbelt" area. A creek runs through and there are patches of trees on each side. I am assuming they live in that greenbelt and come into our yards at night. I really don't want to blast one of the creatures. It would have turned my evening upside down. Calling the cops and all the extra curricular stuff that goes into discharging a firearm. I am much happier watching TV and surfing the net. I bet he is much happier too...LOL.
We've had similar problems with coyotes they hunt in the greenbelts and fields at night and come into the neighborhoods. Normally you dont even know they are there.
Also have had some bobcats come through during the day.

I'm less worried about one coming after me than I am one coming after my dog when we are out on a walk.

speedsix
Posts in topic: 3

Post by speedsix »

Oldgringo wrote:We went shopping in Tyler this past Monday. As we went around the southern bypass between 69 and 155, we spotted a pack/covey/gaggle/herd (?) of wild hogs right on the side of the road within the city limits in broad daylight! I pointed them out to Mrs. Oldgringo who said, "...well, honk, or something".

You just never know...

...was it near Wal-Mart??? just sayin'...

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...I believe it's true that wild creatures don't do well in civilization... http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2011/11/24/ ... a-7705975/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...I'll choose a coyote every time...

PeteCamp

Post by PeteCamp »

Another family I knew caught a bear on video swimming in their pool.
Remember the scene from "Caddyshack" with the Baby Ruth floating in the pool? Gives it a whole new meaning. :shock:

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

PeteCamp wrote:
Another family I knew caught a bear on video swimming in their pool.
Remember the scene from "Caddyshack" with the Baby Ruth floating in the pool? Gives it a whole new meaning. :shock:
Yeah, and when they start using your BBQ grill and Margarita blender for the party with their friends, it's time to move. :lol:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...a drunk grizzly...that's kinda like an ex-wife when the check bounces...

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”