Stock up on ammo

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Thomas

Re: Stock up on ammo

Post by Thomas »

Nano wrote:OK, I'm the STUPID one in the group. Why do I need an unbelievable number of rounds for my 9mm pistol. Are we going to war? Is a rebellion coming? Are all the guns and rounds going to be confiscated? I'm not joking, WHY? I haven't owned a gun for very long.
To answer your questions: A) I hope not. B) I hope not. C) I hope not.

I don't think anyone can predict the future with 100% accuracy, so in case one of the above situations occur, it's best to be prepared. However the more likely scenario than the ones you mentioned is this: our economy collapses. The collapse of the economy can be caused by many, many things.

Advantages of stock-piling ammo:
You can hunt with it. You can protect yourself with it. You can trade it. It doesn't spoil. It's cheaper than gold (which you can't hunt with or use for self-defense anyway).

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

My stockpiling is at the components level. Not sure whether I'll want more 9mm or more .40 S&W next year, for example. But I've got plenty of primers, lots of powder, a lead stockpile, and empty brass.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

texasmusic

Post by texasmusic »

It's good to have enough on hand to last a while. In case of the unforeseen.

A good rifle and a healthy supply of ammo: as long as you have both, nobody can take either away from you.
Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

HerbM

Post by HerbM »

Ace5299 wrote:Sorry for the silly question but as I read about stocking up on ammo...I assume you are talking range type ammo? Is that correct? I have a few hundred carry ammo and about 500 range ammo. Do I need more carry ammo? If so, how much more?
Another way to look at it is this: How much will you eventually shoot and will the price likely keep going up at least as fast as inflation?

If so, having a "lot" is probably a good plan since it also allows for catastrophes but more likely important you get good discounts on cases.

Cases are usually 750-1000 rounds for pistol ammo. So shop for bargains, and when they come buy grab a case.

Carry ammo is a little harder to figure since you probably won't go through nearly as much (even though you should shoot some from time to time to make sure your firearms feed etc.)

Having a 1000 rounds of each caliber is not really a lot if you practice regularly.
HerbM

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

texasmusic wrote:It's good to have enough on hand to last a while. In case of the unforeseen.

A good rifle and a healthy supply of ammo: as long as you have both, nobody can take either away from you.
I'd like to think that is true, anyway...I don't worry about the average patrolman during something bad going down, I would like to believe they would concern themselves with the worst of things going on...but there were some bad LEOs during Katrina. They took folks firearms away from them...and if those folks had put up a stink about it...what would have happened to them? Would they have been "criminals" for disobeying LEOs? Hopefully, those of us here in the great State of Texas never have to find out about that sort of thing.

EDITED TO ADD APOLOGY

Sorry to sidetrack the ammo discussion...
Last edited by Heartland Patriot on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Heartland Patriot wrote:
texasmusic wrote:It's good to have enough on hand to last a while. In case of the unforeseen.

I'd like to think that is true, anyway...I don't worry about the average patrolman during something bad going down, I would like to believe they would concern themselves with the worst of things going on...but there were some bad LEOs during Katrina. They took folks firearms away from them...and if those folks had put up a stink about it...what would have happened to them? Would they have been "criminals" for disobeying LEOs? Hopefully, those of us here in the great State of Texas never have to find out about that sort of thing.
I would never like to have to apply this thought process in the real world, but as far as I'm concerned, someone in a police officer's uniform that is trying to take my gun away from me is just a criminal in a police officer's uniform.

FishInTx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by FishInTx »

Went to wally world this evening...shelves looked a little bare. I bought the last boxes of umc 45 & 40sw. He still had a few boxes of 9mm left after I bought one. 2008 all over and worse? Need to buy reloading stuff, I keep telling myself.

Obama and his minions don't want you to have guns. They will make the price go up, they will make it harder to buy a gun or ammo. How and where you can shoot it. Guns and ammo will do nothing but go up in price until after the election and it might go higher after that, if Obama steals the election. :evil2:

Topic author
Ace5299
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Ace5299 »

Shinesintx wrote:
pbwalker wrote:Think of a threshold that you would consider "obsessive" and double it. That's what I do. :lol:
Wise words. :tiphat:

I just bought 700 rounds of 9mm at Walmart the other day. Doing this was sad for two reasons: 1) It did not add much (percentage wise) to what I already have 2) I dont know where I am gonna put it. :shock:

I feel much better now. I thought I might be on some watch list if I bought large amounts. Now I see I am not the only one who thinks its not only ok to fill the safe but a waist of space if I don't. :clapping:

Topic author
Ace5299
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Ace5299 »

jmra wrote:
Shinesintx wrote:
pbwalker wrote:Think of a threshold that you would consider "obsessive" and double it. That's what I do. :lol:
Wise words. :tiphat:

I just bought 700 rounds of 9mm at Walmart the other day. Doing this was sad for two reasons: 1) It did not add much (percentage wise) to what I already have 2) I dont know where I am gonna put it. :shock:
Want to hear sad? I bought 1500 rounds of 9mm from Walmart and I don't own anything that shoots 9mm.
Now that's funny.

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Shinesintx wrote:I just bought 700 rounds of 9mm at Walmart the other day. Doing this was sad for two reasons: 1) It did not add much (percentage wise) to what I already have 2) I dont know where I am gonna put it. :shock:
I have room for it! :hurry:
jmra wrote:Want to hear sad? I bought 1500 rounds of 9mm from Walmart and I don't own anything that shoots 9mm.
See above. :thumbs2:

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

Nano wrote:OK, I'm the STUPID one in the group. Why do I need an unbelievable number of rounds for my 9mm pistol. Are we going to war? Is a rebellion coming? Are all the guns and rounds going to be confiscated? I'm not joking, WHY? I haven't owned a gun for very long.
Inflation, man. Ammo is made of metal. Metal commodities prices are going up due to government wartime and post war time irresponsible printing of money to finance the war without raising taxes too much. Further exacerbating this is the wartime use of ammo by the government. All this adds up to a major ammo shortage and price hikes. Until recently, I couldn't find 380 ammo even if my life depended on it. I was using corbon premium $30 for 20 rounds ammo for practice! Other metals are going up as well. If you bought gold at the beginning of the Iraq war and a crate of .380 ammo, then you're rolling in dough now. The price of .380 ammo outperformed the stock market and any other investment I could think of. Plus, if Obama is re-elected, since gun bans are unconstitutional per SCOTUS, it is conceivable that he'll regulate ammo to require some expensive features such as a marker or tag of some kind. This would make ammo prices go through the roof and out of reach of most Americans. Without ammo, you don't have to ban guns to make all guns useless.

Nano
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Nano »

Hey guys thanks a lot. I think I have been thoroughly educated as to why I need to go out and stock up.
NRA Member

74novaman
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 74novaman »

george wrote:I have never in 60 years seen the price go down.
Sad but true. There was a little price gouging in '08 that came back down but the overall trend is up, up, up!
TANSTAAFL

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”