looking for another 9mm..glock 26 vs m&p vs XD

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ixslr8
Posts in topic: 4

looking for another 9mm..glock 26 vs m&p vs XD

Post by ixslr8 »

so i recently gave my glock 26 to my gf for home defense gun. Well i'm kinda regretting it and am now looking to get another 9mm. I really liked the 26 and had zero complaints about. I'm just looking for some comparisons of these three as i have never shot or even handled the other two. I had also looked at the xdm, but figured if i got the xd i could send it off to bill springfield for a trigger job and probably end up with an equivalent if not better gun for less. I had also looked at the new s&w shield but not sure if i like the grip of single stack guns (even though i haven't personally held one of these). Any other reccommendations? I'd like to keep it under the $550 range.

Cosmo 9
Posts in topic: 2

Re: looking for another 9mm..glock 26 vs m&p vs XD

Post by Cosmo 9 »

This, http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=54756" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These Pretzels are making me thirsty!

Topic author
ixslr8

Post by ixslr8 »

ok i've never shot a kahr either...what will this gun offer over the glock xd or m&p that i can get new for the same price...?

Sputz
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Sputz »

Have you looked into the steyr m1 9mm? It's got fantastic ergonomics and site picture. I have glocks, an xd9, and a kahr the factory trigger on the steyr is better than all three. The only problem is its not well known so not a lot of stuff out there for it which means you can get them fairly inexpensive I think cabellas in budda has them for $399. If you consider the steyr route make sure you get an m series with high cap mags. All new series comes with 10 rd mags. As for the comparison above the glock has a better trigger than the m&p and xd which are both really squishy. Its about 150+ to fix it. The m&p and xd has better ergonomics than the glock imo but the xd is top heavy. If you want to try a single stack try a kahr cw9 it has a great grip on it.

Sputz

Transplant

Post by Transplant »

If you liked the 26, I'd just stick with what you already know and get another one.
But on the other hand I think I read that the M&P trigger is going to be updated this year to match the Shield's upgraded version. That might be worth waiting for. I've got an xd9 sub compact and I think I'm going to take a close look at the M&P's later this year.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

ixslr8 wrote:ok i've never shot a kahr either...what will this gun offer over the glock xd or m&p that i can get new for the same price...?
The PM9 is a great shooting gun. The advantage over the 26 and M&P is much smaller in size and much more concealable, even over the new Shield.

I have both the PM9 and the 26, and prefer my PM9 for concealed carry. You do give up a few rounds for capacity, but I think 6-7 rounds plus a spare magazine is OK for the 99% of the types of self defense situations we will potentially be engaged in.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Cosmo 9

Post by Cosmo 9 »

Everything Keith said plus that's such a good deal if you don't like it you could sell for a profit!

If you're in the DFW area your welcome to shoot my XD9 and PM9. :tiphat:
These Pretzels are making me thirsty!

Topic author
ixslr8

Post by ixslr8 »

unfortunately i'm 350 miles from dfw, so it'd cost me a $100 just in gas to pick it up, and thanks for the offer cosmo

Wes

Post by Wes »

i really think it is all about what you like on those three guns, i go to the range with a couple other guys and we each have our own preferences. i have an xdm 9, and the other two guys have a glock and then an m&p. i shot a half dozen before choosing the xdm at my local range, and it just felt better to me. ive put about 2000 rounds down range with it and it works great, feels good, and is shooting really accurately.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

varko

Post by varko »

I’m a Glock fan. I’ve owned five different ones over the years and a 26 was my EDC for a long time. Since getting a Steyr, I haven’t looked back. The S9-A1 (size between a Glock 26 and 19) is my current EDC. I also owned an M9-A1 (full size) for a while, then sold it to a friend who loves it. In fact he chose it over my Glock 26 which I was also selling at the time. I’ve also owned an XDM-9 3.8 Compact and an M&P 9. The ergonomics on the M&P are fantastic, but I never could get used to the trigger (that, of course, can be fixed with extra $$$). No real complaints about the XDM; I just like the Steyr better. The Steyr also has a similar grip angle to the Glock, so you won’t have to make that adjustment if that’s a concern of yours. The main downside is, as has been mentioned before, there’s not much out there in accessories compared to the others. Glock still has those 30 round mags goin’ for ‘em. :mrgreen:

As usual YMMV. Everybody’s got different hands.
And if I were called upon to identify briefly the principal trait of the entire twentieth century, here too, I would be unable to find anything more precise and pithy than to repeat once again: Men have forgotten God. - Alexander Solzhenitsyn

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

All that you mentioned are reliable and accurate handguns. I personally like the glocks for carry because of simplicity and that they always go bang. The grip on the M&P is better then both imo and I do like the xds. I would buy the one that fits best in your hand and you shoot well. That being said I think the xds are a little cheaper if you get the essentials package. You can't go wrong with any of those!

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Also if you like Glocks try the Walther PPS! They are a little out of your price range but trust me when I say they are very high quality and shoot great. I think of it as a single stack glock. The PPS is not a pocket carry like the Kahrs but is the best shooting single stack polymer pistol on the market imo. Way way better the the LCP but you pay for the quality. The are a little heavier then the LCP and several ounces more then a Kahr; close to 20oz if I remember. Which is about as light as I personally like to go for a 9mm. Just another thought. Good luck!

Topic author
ixslr8

Post by ixslr8 »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I handled a kahr cw9 today along with several others, ive decided im not really a fan of single stacks. The grips just dont feel comfortable to me. The xds all felt top or muzzle heavy to me. The m&p felt the best to me.

Ace5299

Post by Ace5299 »

Like they say...once you go Glock you never go back! :clapping:

rev210

Post by rev210 »

I have a Glock 26 and recently purchased an M&P shield, I like the way the M&P shield feels better than the 26, accuracy seems to be the same with both, the size difference between the two doesn't make much of a difference to me. The only problem I have had with the shield is that it has constantly been jamming, I only have about 400 rounds through it but it has jammed a couple of times every time out, I clean it and have tried various ammo and it still has been happening. I have over 1,000 rounds through the 26 without one problem, I think I am sticking with my Glock.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”