(Help me decide) Taurus PT709 or S&W M&P Shield

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
scref
Posts in topic: 6

(Help me decide) Taurus PT709 or S&W M&P Shield

Post by scref »

He me decide between the Taurus PT709 or S&W M&P Shield 9mm. I know, I know you will say the one that feels best to me, etc. They both fell great in my hand and shoot well. The part I am struggling with is the price of the PT709 is $299.99 and the price on the Shield is $449.99.

Is the Shield worth $150.00 more?

I can't decide :banghead:
EDC: S&W M&P Shield
TX CHL: 5/9/12

snatchel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: (Help me decide) Taurus PT709 or S&W M&P Shield

Post by snatchel »

I had a 709 that had 6 failure to ejects in the first 50 rounds. I shot another 100 rounds through it with 2 FTE. Imho you shouldn't have to "break in" a gun. It should function the same from the first shot to the 10,000th. Taurus does have a lifetime warranty so i guess you could send it in for warranty work, but who wants to buy a gun that you know you're going to have to send back to fix a problem that should have never been that way to begin with? I also could never get used to the mile long trigger pull of the 709. I haven't personally shot a shield but i just picked up the m&p 9c and it shots like a dream straight out of the box. Imo if you're buying these to a CCW, nothing beats reliability and the 709 in my experience just didnt cut it.
No More Signature

CC Italian
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CC Italian »

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/conceale ... -40-a.html

Seems like your not the only one. :lol:

I have shot a 709 and didn't think it was anything special. Never shot a shield but I love the M&P 45 compact. My favorite out of all the single stack polymer nines is the walther pps.
I have shot kahrs, LCP, nano (hated the grip on that one)and 709 that I can think of off the top of my head.

The walther was just awesome. Only you can say if it is worth the extra coin but in my experience S&W is a higher quality product then Taurus(let the Taurus lovers curse me). The PPS is well worth the added money over the 709. That I can tell you!

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

In fact I would say all where higher quality then the 709 imo. I just didn't like the backstrap of the nano. Seemed sharp and it rubbed my hand a little raw after 70 or so rounds.

Way back when I shot a Kel tec p11. Didn't like it at all!

SkipB

Post by SkipB »

Smith & Wesson :tiphat:
Skip Bishop

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485433

Here is another link where the forum member compared the shield, nano, and PPS. I would have to pretty much agree about his comments about the PPS and Nano. Like I said no experience with the shield.

fickman

Post by fickman »

I was sold on the M&P .40 until an XD fell into my lap for a price I couldn't ignore. If I were in the market right now, I'd go S&W.
Native Texian

A-R

Post by A-R »

Neither - get a Walther PPS instead - no manual safety to get in the way, proven design been around a while now. VERY accurate for a 3.5-inch barrel (I've shot mine in IDPA and done fine even with having to reload more often - 7-round mags vs. 10 round mags in competitors' guns).

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

scref wrote:Is the Shield worth $150.00 more?
Yes, it is. The M&P platform is first tier. The Taurus isn't.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

v-rog

Post by v-rog »

Also, plan to pay for shipping when the Taurus needs work. Cost one of my friends $60! Not so with S&W, I'd go with the Shield.
Cheap is expensive
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

S&W customer service is worth MORE than $150!!
I have a Taurus PT145 Pro. I recently bought a S&W M&P 45acp compact. The S&W is a better gun!

Regards, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

The Shield can be had for $399.00. It is worth every penny. I have a Shield and have made it my EDC. I took mine to the range and ran 150 rounds through it flawlessly.

Get the S&W, you won't regret it.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
scref
Posts in topic: 6

Post by scref »

tomtexan wrote:The Shield can be had for $399.00. It is worth every penny. I have a Shield and have made it my EDC. I took mine to the range and ran 150 rounds through it flawlessly.

Get the S&W, you won't regret it.
Where did you get it for $399.00?

The only place I have found it at that price is Academy but they are sold out and on long back order. The place I found that has a Shield wants $449.99 for it, he mentioned that he was going to raise the price to $479.99 in the next few days.
EDC: S&W M&P Shield
TX CHL: 5/9/12

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

They are going to be high the first 6 months! I remember when the PPS first came out and they wanted $650-700. Outrageous! Now with all the single stack polymer 9s on the market they have dropped $150-$200. A-R is right on though. You won't regret a PPS. High quality, extremely accurate and extremely reliable. I would take it over the shield but I do like the manual safety on the Shield. If you like the double set trigger on glocks then you will like the PPS. Same concept as Glocks and they seem to be just as reliable. IMO the Shield and PPS are probably going to be the best polymer 9mms.
Order of best to worst that I have shot, once again imo.
1. PPS
2. Kahr TP9 (like it alot more then the P9, that extra weight from the longer barrel and grip helped it be a comfortable shooter)
3. Ruger LCP
4.Nano (4th only because I couldn't stand the grip. Gun was high quality but snappier like the p9 kahr.
5. Taurus 709- It functioned and the grip was ok. My future father in law loves it but I didn't think it was that special.
6. Kel-tec P-11- Hard for me to shoot well, or at least what I would consider good groups. I don't know how it compares to the PF9

All steel single stacks
1. Kahr K9- Awesome gun for hip carry. Expensive but an awesome single stack 9mm!
2. Sig 239 Expensive
3. S&W 3913-908 or CS9. Great little third gen smiths. Can be had for under $400 in excellent condition used. I own a 908s and love it!
Edit: The 908 is steel slide with aluminum frame (that is why it costs and weighs a little less then the sig and kahr.

Just I little more info on single stacks to help you out.
Last edited by CC Italian on Fri May 18, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

scref wrote: Where did you get it for $399.00?

The only place I have found it at that price is Academy but they are sold out and on long back order. The place I found that has a Shield wants $449.99 for it, he mentioned that he was going to raise the price to $479.99 in the next few days.
I bought mine at Gander Mountain in Tyler for $399. They had it priced at $449. I asked them if they would price match Academy, and they agreed to do so.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”