I Bought A New Carry...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
randomoutburst
Posts in topic: 9

I Bought A New Carry...

Post by randomoutburst »

Darn those persuasive Sig representatives.

I wasn't going to buy a gun. I just went into the shop to look. A Sig rep happened to be visiting that day. I had pretty much settled on a 238, but I wanted to hold them in my hands and figure out which one I wanted. I held every 238 they had, even the pink one. (Yuck.)

I told the guy I liked many qualities of individual guns, but none as they came. I liked the TruGlo sights on the black gun, the Hogue grips on the silver one, and the Desert color. He offered to trade grips on one gun, but the sights obviously couldn't be changed. I had come to the conclusion that I should just keep checking back to see if I could eventually find one I wanted. I was willing to wait.

Then the Sig rep offered me $50 off. Nah, that's okay. I'll come back later. Then he added a coupon for a free mag. I asked if it would be the extended one like I wanted. He said sure. I decided to rethink. I figured I could live with the all-black 238 with the awesome sights and Hogue grip. The color doesn't change how well it shoots, after all.

I looked at my husband. My husband looked at me and said, "Oh, just buy it. You know you want it."

So, that's how I brought home a new gun this weekend. I've been wearing it around the house unloaded to get a feel for how to conceal it. Already it's a more comfortable carry than any of my previous carry guns. I only thought my other ones were comfortable. And I can wear it with almost anything, which was not the case with my other carry guns.

I plan to make time to shoot it this weekend. I wish I could shoot it sooner, but my schedule doesn't line up with the hours at the only shooting range here.

Amusing side note: We carry with Hornady Critical Defense ammo. I couldn't find any in .380 ACP but I did manage to locate some Hornady Zombie rounds, which are the exact same thing, only with green polymer instead of orange. I can see it now... I have to use my weapon in self-defense and they're grilling me on why I was carrying "Zombie" rounds. :roll: I'll be switching to regular Critical Defense when I can locate some. Not an issue as of now since I won't be carrying it until I've put several hundred rounds down it. I've got a little time to go ammo hunting.

This is the Sig P238 Nitron Sports 12. Others at the shop complimented it and wanted to hold it after I had started filling out paperwork. Felt like a celebrity, haha!

My first impressions have been extremely positive. The gun fits perfectly into my little hands with the extended mag and the Hogue grips just complete the package. The TruGlo night sights are so bright that I can see them from across a dark room without my glasses on. :shock: That was the most shocking and awesome part of bringing the gun home, let me tell you. I had taken it down to clean it and left it sitting on the gun mat overnight, planning to reassemble it the following day.

"Honey, what's that green light on the table?"
"I don't have my glasses on, I can't see."
"Wait, is that...is that your Sig?"
"Oh my God, it is. Awesome."

Speaking of takedowns, this Sig has the easiest take down of any of my semi autos. It was easy on my hands and didn't require me to use any assistance from my husband or household objects. My Kahr, for instance, is the biggest pain in the butt to take down because the slide stop is stubborn and refuses to budge. Even my husband can't move it. I have to put a stop inside the ejector port to hold the slide in place while I pry the slide stop out. Very unpleasant and it hurts my hands. This Sig? Easiest takedown ever. I already loved it, but the takedown sealed the deal. This is my new favorite gun.

I like the fact that it feels like a miniature 1911, though I was initially shocked when I discovered that the slide can still operate while the safety is on. I checked the manual and found that it is intended to function that way; the safety prevents the gun from firing but unlike a 1911 it does not immobilize the slide. When performing the takedown I realized that this allows you to keep the gun safe while unloading it. Very nifty indeed. I also cycled the Zombie rounds through it (safety on!) just to see if they caused any problems. Nope, the Sig ate them with no problem. The real test, of course, will come this weekend.

Overall, I am extremely impressed with this little gun. So much so, in fact, that I don't even feel bad about dropping so much money to buy it. I hope I'm still impressed after the range visit this weekend. I'll check back in and let you know how it goes!
Last edited by randomoutburst on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G26ster
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I Bought A New Carry...

Post by G26ster »

Congrats on the new Sig! Just a note of caution on re-assembly. From the P238 manual:

4. Guide the slide assembly onto the frame rails from the
front until the barrel lug is aligned with slide stop pin hole
in frame and partially insert slide stop pin.

- note: depress the ejector “A” to clear slide.*

BE CAREFUL on this part, because if you push the ejector down to far to clear the slide while re-assembling, it will lock in place an only a gunsmith or Sig can get it to release. Don't ask me how I know ;-)

Topic author
randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

G26ster wrote:Congrats on the new Sig! Just a note of caution on re-assembly. From the P238 manual:

4. Guide the slide assembly onto the frame rails from the
front until the barrel lug is aligned with slide stop pin hole
in frame and partially insert slide stop pin.

- note: depress the ejector “A” to clear slide.*

BE CAREFUL on this part, because if you push the ejector down to far to clear the slide while re-assembling, it will lock in place an only a gunsmith or Sig can get it to release. Don't ask me how I know ;-)
It mentions having to send it back to Sig if you mess it up in the manual - don't worry, I was very careful. I always read my manuals before taking it down and reassembling because I'm paranoid about affecting the gun's functionality. Sorry you had a more... hands-on learning experience. ;-)

The ejector was easy to access (maybe because I have tiny fingers) so it was no problem to press it down just enough to clear the slide. My husband told me a couple of times to be careful because he had read about people depressing it too far. Silly husband, your wife knows how to handle her weapons! :cool:

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

The last thing I would worry about if I was involved in a shooting is the kind of ammunition I was using. Maybe in Kalifornia, the People's Republik of Illinois, Noo Joisy or, Massachusetts it might be an issue. But not The Great State of Texas. If asked, just tell them it was all they had at the gun store or that green is your favorite color. :thumbs2:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

MoJo wrote:The last thing I would worry about if I was involved in a shooting is the kind of ammunition I was using. Maybe in Kalifornia, the People's Republik of Illinois, Noo Joisy or, Massachusetts it might be an issue. But not The Great State of Texas. If asked, just tell them it was all they had at the gun store or that green is your favorite color. :thumbs2:
Bahaha! I can see it now: "Well, Your Honor, they didn't have any pink bullets...but they did have green, and they were so much prettier than the plain old boring bullets."

(For the record, I hate pink.)

I may end up keeping the Zombie stuff if I can't find Critical Defense, but either way this box is getting shot to make sure it feeds correctly. I'm itching to get out to the range. I wish I had friends out here with land. I had a friend with land back in the Dallas area, but I don't have any friends out here in Lubbock. Anyone live out this way? We could be shooting buddies!

Munk

Post by Munk »

The green is usually a dollar or two cheaper than the regular Hornady. :iagree:
III%

Topic author
randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

Munk wrote:The green is usually a dollar or two cheaper than the regular Hornady. :iagree:
Is it? I bought some as a gift for a friend last year and it was the same price as Critical Defense. :grumble

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

hey.....I like pink!!!! I would'a bought the pink gun and bullets, too!!!! and.....it's BC month ;-)

you have fun with your new black gun :coolgleamA:
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Congratulations on the new baby! :biggrinjester:

Now, get a decent holster for this one and try not to drop it. :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:

Does this one conceal better at work?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

G26ster wrote:BE CAREFUL on this part, because if you push the ejector down to far to clear the slide while re-assembling, it will lock in place an only a gunsmith or Sig can get it to release. Don't ask me how I know ;-)
Not quite true. There are videos on youtube that show how to fix it and it's not hard. After watching the video, I intentionally pushed mine too far, just to do the fix. It's very simple for anyone with even marginal mechanical ability.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

SewTexas - I will wear pink clothes, but not often. I don't have pink accessories. And I don't think I could stand a pink gun. I much prefer the all black. I don't look down upon those who want a pink gun or accessories; you should be happy with whatever color you choose because in the end, it still goes BANG!

C-dub - I haven't the faintest idea of what you're referring to... :leaving
If I drop this one I will cry. I've been very very careful. To be fair, the dropping of my 1911 wasn't because it wasn't a good holster. It was because I did something stupid and set it on a ledge that apparently wasn't parallel with the ground. I still kick myself over that. And to answer your question, yes! It does conceal better and also doesn't make me look like I gained 15 pounds. Sorry, Kahr, but you lose this battle. I'm wearing it to my internship tomorrow as a dry run.

PawPaw - Good to know!

god0fmars

Post by god0fmars »

randomoutburst wrote: I had a friend with land back in the Dallas area, but I don't have any friends out here in Lubbock. Anyone live out this way? We could be shooting buddies!
Howdie Doo Fellow Lubbockite!

Im a lurker :cool: , but there are some of us around!
7/3/12 - Fingerprints done and Sent off.
7/23/12 - Mailed!
7/28/12 - Plastic!!

Topic author
randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

god0fmars wrote:
randomoutburst wrote: I had a friend with land back in the Dallas area, but I don't have any friends out here in Lubbock. Anyone live out this way? We could be shooting buddies!
Howdie Doo Fellow Lubbockite!

Im a lurker :cool: , but there are some of us around!
Well hello there! There is a lot of talk about new ranges opening up (since we're pretty much stuck with Patriot now)... do you think there's any truth to the rumors?

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

randomoutburst wrote:I had a friend with land back in the Dallas area, but I don't have any friends out here in Lubbock. Anyone live out this way? We could be shooting buddies!
Am I loosing my mind or have you recently moved? Didn't you used to live up near Sherman?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

C-dub wrote:
randomoutburst wrote:I had a friend with land back in the Dallas area, but I don't have any friends out here in Lubbock. Anyone live out this way? We could be shooting buddies!
Am I loosing my mind or have you recently moved? Didn't you used to live up near Sherman?
You aren't going crazy. Well, at least not because of this. ;-)
We moved out to Lubbock after we graduated in May because my husband decided to go to Tech for graduate school. I actually grew up out here until I was 9, so I was somewhat familiar with the area already.

It's kind of lonely out this way. My family is in the Dallas/Paris area and his is in the Dallas/Sherman area. We've made a few friends, which makes it easier (and of course we have each other) but neither of us are used to not seeing family at least a few times a week.

Plus, there aren't nearly as many FTF options for gun buying as in the Dallas area! :???: I've managed alright on that point though, as you can see by this thread.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”