I Bought A New Carry...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
randomoutburst
Posts in topic: 9

Re: I Bought A New Carry...

Post by randomoutburst »

Didn't get to go to the range today; they were closed for a CHL class with no mention of it on their website. :grumble

Wanted to say that I found Critical Defense ammo for $5 cheaper than the Zombie rounds at Academy. Wal-mart had the best ammo prices here, though. It was disappointing since I hate giving Wal-Mart my money... but I don't hate it enough to pay twice as much for ammo somewhere else. Back in Sherman a local pawn shop had the best prices and I sure do miss them!

Guess I'll be updating you on the 238's performance next week instead. :fire

Topic author
randomoutburst
Posts in topic: 9

Post by randomoutburst »

Went to the range today. Overall I was impressed with this little thing. I feel like I could have shot another 200 rounds down it without taxing my hands, the grips felt great, I could reach the safety and mag release easily, and the sights were very easy to see. Speaking of sights, those suckers were dead on. My aim, however, wasn't quite spot-on until halfway through when I had figured out how to handle a small gun where my finger fits differently on the trigger. Need more practice!

The ammo report is slightly disappointing. I accidentally bought JHP instead of FMJ and I suspect it would have gone better with FMJ.
Put 200 rounds of Remington UMC JHP down it. Failed to feed on the second round every time (only have one magazine for now), and it often hung up when I racked the slide. Second attempt at racking always cleared things up. I suspect the very nearly vertical feed ramp coupled with the flat-nosed hollow points weren't a good combination. The way the first and second rounds seated must have been different enough from the rest to make a significant difference. Good thing I don't use these rounds as my carry.
Put 25 Hornady Zombie defense rounds down it, no problem. No failures to feed, racking the slide was successful, and it felt just great. I need to shoot more of this down it to ensure it's sound, but that's all I had today. The pointed nose of the rounds undoubtedly helped the rounds clear the feed ramp better than the flat-nosed Remingtons.

Just finished cleaning it and DANG that thing was dirty! A pleasure to take down and easy to clean, at least.

I accidentally left another 100 Remington JHPs and another 25 Hornady rounds at home when we went to the range; I'll need to put those down it plus a few boxes of FMJ and some more Hornady, and then I'll feel comfortable with it.

In conclusion, I LOVE this gun. My short fingers and small hands have made many other guns uncomfortable to shoot, and the few that do work for me are too large to easily conceal. The Sig P238 gives me something comfortable to shoot AND carry! As a plus, it's a pleasure to shoot which means it will see plenty of range time for practice. It's nice to be able to wear whatever I want and be able to conceal without going out of my way to do so!

Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Divided Attention »

:clapping:

told ya' it was a fun gun! ;-)
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”