Was a Hiatus, Now a Farewell

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Thomas

Was a Hiatus, Now a Farewell

Post by Thomas »

I'm going to take a hiatus from TexasCHLforum.com for a while. I've taken an oath to the United States of America. Considering the trust that has been placed in me, I must avoid the appearance of impropriety. I can't be associated with the mentality that is growing here as a result of recent events. I will pray that a gun ban/registration does not occur, as I believe it would have devastating consequences. However, I will follow the laws of this great nation and do my part to make sure it stays a great nation.

I've enjoyed our civil discussions and sharing of experiences. I wish you all the best and a Happy New Year.

- Thomas

EDIT: Updated the title of this thread from "Taking a Hiatus from Here" to "Was a Hiatus, Now a Farewell"
Last edited by Thomas on Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cling
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Taking a Hiatus from Here.

Post by cling »

I hope you can respect the others who took an oath to defend the Constitution.

Fair winds and following seas.
Better. Not Bitter.

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

Thomas wrote:I'm going to take a hiatus from TexasCHLforum.com for a while. I've taken an oath to the United States of America. Considering the trust that has been placed in me, I must avoid the appearance of impropriety. I can't be associated with the mentality that is growing here as a result of recent events. I will pray that a gun ban/registration does not occur, as I believe it would have devastating consequences. However, I will follow the laws of this great nation and do my part to make sure it stays a great nation.

I've enjoyed our civil discussions and sharing of experiences. I wish you all the best and a Happy New Year.

- Thomas
I also took an oath. An oath to support and defend the constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic.
Unfortunately the domestic enemies are in full force.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Thomas wrote:I'm going to take a hiatus from TexasCHLforum.com for a while. I've taken an oath to the United States of America. Considering the trust that has been placed in me, I must avoid the appearance of impropriety. I can't be associated with the mentality that is growing here as a result of recent events. I will pray that a gun ban/registration does not occur, as I believe it would have devastating consequences. However, I will follow the laws of this great nation and do my part to make sure it stays a great nation.

- Thomas
Can you please come back and explain what you mean by this?

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

My oath is to the Constitution.
As long as we defend that against the domestic enemies in washington this WILL remain the greatest nation on the face of the earth.

Hitlers minion obeyed the law too.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

jmra

Post by jmra »

longtooth wrote:My oath is to the Constitution.
As long as we defend that against the domestic enemies in washington this WILL remain the greatest nation on the face of the earth.

Hitlers minion obeyed the law too.
:iagree:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

hpcatx

Post by hpcatx »

- Thomas
Thank you for your service.

I sincerely hope that in doing your "part to make sure [the US] stays a great nation," you uphold your oath to the Constitution, the core governing principles of our nation, and use your moral compass to not execute orders seeking to violate its doctrine of individual liberty. I appreciate that you feel the statements of forum members indicating they will disregard new laws on the restrictions of the RKBA could have the appearance of impropriety, but consider that it is our men and women in uniform (not just civilians) that may be asked to draw a line in the sand and proclaim these laws to be unjust; better to make these statements now to influence potential policy, than make these statements later when laws have already been enacted.

Happy new year and all the best in 2013.
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Thomas, I sent you a PM.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

While serving in the USAF, we had a long discussion about this very topic when I went through the Non-Commissioned Officer Academy (NCOA). I had it explained to me that "obeying the orders of the officers appointed over you" didn't include following UNLAWFUL orders, that is orders that are blatantly illegal and immoral like shooting unarmed women and children on purpose, or orders that violate the Constitution, like forcing Americans to disperse from peacefully protesting the government. And that supporting and defending the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies foreign and domestic was of more importance than the orders of officers appointed over me if there was a conflict between the two. I carry that training with me...

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Thomas wrote:I'm going to take a hiatus from TexasCHLforum.com for a while. I've taken an oath to the United States of America. Considering the trust that has been placed in me, I must avoid the appearance of impropriety. I can't be associated with the mentality that is growing here as a result of recent events.
I know some of the threads/posts that are likely the basis of your statement, but to attribute them to the entire Forum is unfounded and grossly unfair to the vast majority of our Members. You paint with far too broad a brush and I don't appreciate it.

Bye.
Chas.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

And to add to that, the attitude you have heading into basic training will be detrimental to you. If you are not open minded enough to debate and see other's viewpoints and the fact that the government and military is not perfect, then you are gonna really struggle with your training and adjustment to service life. My advice to you is to rethink your views and go into your new venture with eyes and mind wide open and mouth shut.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Farewell threads...LOL. :bigear:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

For someone taking a Hiatus you keep coming back. Back at 5:58PM today.

Like Keith said you need to really look deep inside and figure out who you are. :tiphat:

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

I stayed away from here for two years because of what you describe. I actually came back here (and other forums) because of recent events; I want to be on the ground floor to try and help retain my second amendment rights, even if I have really strong problems with some of the rhetoric of others. I don't think right now is a time to split hairs over it.

I will probably comment when I see rhetoric I disagree with, but I'm still in the fight. People that know me from ages ago know i'm a pretty hardcore defender of 2A rights, even though I probably disagree with most on everything else they stand for. I think our 2A rights need everyone they can get, so here I am.

It's also why I've renewed with the NRA and GOA (i've been with SAF for a while) since 2008.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Topic author
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

carlson1 wrote:For someone taking a Hiatus you keep coming back. Back at 5:58PM today.
To read some PMs. As I suggested previously in another topic, I think it would be beneficial to have the PM contents included in the notice e-mail.

I WILL NOT READ OR RESPOND TO ANY FURTHER PMs.
Thank you to those who sent me PMs, I appreciate your kind words.
Keith B wrote:And to add to that, the attitude you have heading into basic training will be detrimental to you. If you are not open minded enough to debate and see other's viewpoints and the fact that the government and military is not perfect, then you are gonna really struggle with your training and adjustment to service life. My advice to you is to rethink your views and go into your new venture with eyes and mind wide open and mouth shut.
I work as a civilian employee aboard US Naval vessels. I have an officer's license from the USCG. I'm very familiar with bureaucracies and the military.
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I know some of the threads/posts that are likely the basis of your statement, but to attribute them to the entire Forum is unfounded and grossly unfair to the vast majority of our Members. You paint with far too broad a brush and I don't appreciate it.

Bye.
Chas.
You've done a great job here Mr. Cotton. I imagine attorneys must take some kind of ethics class before passing the bar. I had to take an ethics class, so I hope you understand better what I'm trying to convey. I'm trying to avoid the appearance of impropriety.
longtooth wrote:Hitlers minion obeyed the law too.
Gee, thanks.
cling wrote:I hope you can respect the others who took an oath to defend the Constitution.

Fair winds and following seas.
I do, and I understand the oath of office and oath of enlistment specify defending our Constitution. There is also the part "that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same".

"Fair winds and following seas." - Thank you.
Heartland Patriot wrote:While serving in the USAF, we had a long discussion about this very topic when I went through the Non-Commissioned Officer Academy (NCOA). I had it explained to me that "obeying the orders of the officers appointed over you" didn't include following UNLAWFUL orders, that is orders that are blatantly illegal and immoral like shooting unarmed women and children on purpose, or orders that violate the Constitution, like forcing Americans to disperse from peacefully protesting the government. And that supporting and defending the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies foreign and domestic was of more importance than the orders of officers appointed over me if there was a conflict between the two. I carry that training with me...
I understand and agree completely.
nitrogen wrote:I stayed away from here for two years because of what you describe. I actually came back here (and other forums) because of recent events; I want to be on the ground floor to try and help retain my second amendment rights, even if I have really strong problems with some of the rhetoric of others. I don't think right now is a time to split hairs over it.

I will probably comment when I see rhetoric I disagree with, but I'm still in the fight. People that know me from ages ago know i'm a pretty hardcore defender of 2A rights, even though I probably disagree with most on everything else they stand for. I think our 2A rights need everyone they can get, so here I am.

It's also why I've renewed with the NRA and GOA (i've been with SAF for a while) since 2008.
I just became a member of the NRA - a lifetime member specifically.

I WILL NOT RESPOND TO ANY FURTHER POSTS.

I have updated the title of this thread from "Taking a Hiatus from Here" to "Was a Hiatus, Now a Farewell". I understand those you being adamant about the 2nd Amendment. If a moderator mentions to me about being "open minded enough to debate and see other's viewpoints", yet I'm being attacked for having a different viewpoint... then how is that better than being one of those liberals who claims he/she is open-minded, but then attacks anyone else who has a different viewpoint?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”