Anyone use Federal Tactical HST?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Austin83
Posts in topic: 1

Anyone use Federal Tactical HST?

Post by Austin83 »

I just purchased a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm Shield (my first 9mm) and I was able to purchase some Federal Tactical HST 124 grain JHP for it. First, I've found that the HST rounds are carried by many LE, and they have fantastic reviews, and are proven to be one of the best expanding JHP rounds on the market. These are the first non-bonded JHP I have ever carried, and I must admit I am a little freaked out by the thought of having non-bonded ammo. It's probably the hours I spent researching information from "experts" on bonded vs. non-bonded on the Internet that makes me a little hesitant. I don't plan on the need to shoot through any windshields, doors, etc. with my 9mm, but I like to be prepared. I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance that the HST is a good everyday carry round. Oh, and as many of you know the 9mm JHP market is slim to none out there so I kinda jumped on the first solid 124 grain JHP that I laid my eyes on. Thanks in advance for any advice or input.

texanjoker

Re: Anyone use Federal Tactical HST?

Post by texanjoker »

I used federal in all my guns. I have used them at work and they have taken me home. I support anybody that uses those rounds.

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

Makes a pretty flower.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

daniel2002p

Post by daniel2002p »

I use them in all my EDC and so far no complaint. I know these are expensive for the range but they are dead on our of my G26.

--Daniel
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
1)Treat firearms as if they are loaded. 2)Point the muzzle away from non-targets.
3)Keep fingers off the trigger until ready to shoot. 4)Be sure of your target and backstop.

jmra

Post by jmra »

I carry them in my G23. Need to find some for my XDs .45
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I figure if they work for law enforcement, then they'll work for me. I carry Federal HST 124 grain 9mm +P in my Ruger SR9c. And, I managed to get a good deal on the 50 round boxes through ammunitiontogo in Brenham, before the madness.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I have a couple of hundred rounds that I obtained in a trade. I had not thought much about them until I got them.

I like them a lot. I carry them in my Sig P228; P229; G-19; and my Kahr PM9. I have had no problems with them working in all of my carry pistols.

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

124 standard pressure is what I carry in all my nines. Good stuff in any caliber!

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Bought first HSTs after very favorable testing report (of 9mm) at 2009 DPS renewal school. Via SG Ammo online, scored some 50-round boxes before all the madness began and gave to a couple of buddies for Christmas. They've run fine in my primary carry semis (PM-9 and XD9M3.8).
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

TXCO

Post by TXCO »

Use them in.40 caliber, both 165gr. and 180gr.. No complaints, work fine in my G23.
TSRA Life member
NRA Life member
CPO-Retired

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

I purchased 2 boxes just today of 147 gr. HST 9mm +P. Been looking for some for a while in 9mm. They are almost as rare as hen teeth. I wasn't real pleased with the current price but these are the times we live in. :sad:
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I carry the 230 gr HST in my 1911 pistols.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

I purchased 2 boxes just today of 147 gr. HST 9mm +P. Been looking for some for a while in 9mm.
I still have two boxes of the stuff.The online results looked awesome for the 9mm but it kept hanging up in my P95 and 1911 9mm. Runs fine in my 3rd gen smith though. The OAL and more aggressive hollowpoint seemed to cause a problem. The 124s run like a champ in all three. Goes to show you that every gun is different and what works for one won't necessarily work for another. Always check your carry ammo!

bagman45
Banned

Post by bagman45 »

I'm running it in 9, 40 and 45cal. Great stuff. Go to youtube and check out tnoutdoors balistic gel reviews of most popular handgun rounds - hst works consistently in his tests. :thumbs2:

mgood

Post by mgood »

Federal is my preferred brand for most of my ammunition needs and wants.
I carry Hydra-Shok in most (all?) of my defensive handguns.
.45 ACP
.40 S&W
.380 ACP (Though I think I'm liking the the Hornady Critical Defense in this caliber.)
I even have a box or two in .38 Special, though I've never owned a .38/.357. Bought it just in case I get the gun. Be Prepared. :cool:

I'd like to try the HST. Might consider switching from Hydra-Shok to HST if I can find some side-by-side tests of the two vs. gelatin, through barriers, through heavy clothing, etc. I know what the Hydra-Shok will do. I think the HST might do it a little better, but I'd like to see data to back that up. (Or just send me a bunch of ammo and I'll do the tests myself :drool: )

The way it is right now, we can't be too picky. If you find something close to what you're looking for, at a price that's not too insane, better grab it.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”