Buying ammo @ Walmart afterhours?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Dirthawking
Posts in topic: 4

Buying ammo @ Walmart afterhours?

Post by Dirthawking »

I work afternoons/evenings. So I do most of my shopping early morning or close to midnight.

I walked into Walmart the other day and found 9mm on the shelf.

Way long story short, I was told that it was against the law to sell ammo after 10 pm. When I asked where it says that, I was told it was a Federal thing. When I again asked where it said that, I was told it was a State thing, again, when I asked where it said that, I was told it was a city law. When I asked where, I was told by the manager that the local police have asked them to not sell ammo so late. When I asked for names/departments, all went silent.

Long story short, I was sold the ammo.

Anybody else every had this happen?
Some people simply need a high five, to the face, with a chair!

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Buying ammo @ Walmart afterhours?

Post by Crossfire »

No, there is no law. It is a Walmart policy. Just like with jewelry and video games.

Anything that requires a manager to unlock a case will not be sold after whatever time they deem it to be too inconvenient for them to come do that. Could be 9:00 PM, could be 11:00.

Another reason not to go to Walmart.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
Dirthawking

Post by Dirthawking »

I asked, it is not a Walmart policy either. And they have to unlock the case no matter what time of day it is.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Trust me. It IS a Walmart thing! As someone who has worked in IT support for Walmart, I can tell you for a fact. They have fewer managers on duty in the evenings, so they decide not to do things that require managers to be involved. Like selling anything that requires a key holder.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
Dirthawking

Post by Dirthawking »

I get that, but if it is a Walmart policy, why is it not posted on the ammo case? Like I said, long story short, it was two employees AND the manager I was having this discussion with. They all three insisted it was law, even when I pulled out my phone and offered to look it up for them.

My understanding is that this is a very common thing for certain managers/employees that are anti gun. I was also told one other time (by the same Walmart) that I would need to come back on Monday for a hunting license as all the official offices were closed.

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jmra »

Dirthawking wrote:I get that, but if it is a Walmart policy, why is it not posted on the ammo case? Like I said, long story short, it was two employees AND the manager I was having this discussion with. They all three insisted it was law, even when I pulled out my phone and offered to look it up for them.

My understanding is that this is a very common thing for certain managers/employees that are anti gun. I was also told one other time (by the same Walmart) that I would need to come back on Monday for a hunting license as all the official offices were closed.
No one said the employees you were dealing with are very bright, just that it is Walmart policy which in fact it is.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

JJVP
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JJVP »

Dirthawking wrote:I get that, but if it is a Walmart policy, why is it not posted on the ammo case? Like I said, long story short, it was two employees AND the manager I was having this discussion with. They all three insisted it was law, even when I pulled out my phone and offered to look it up for them.

You can get your hunting license on line. No need to go to WalMart or anywhere else, unless you forgot to get one and need it immediately.

https://txfgisales.appsolgrp.com/fgtxis ... 70&rand=92" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

It's easier for them to try and claim it's the fault of the law than to try to tell you it is their policy and have you argue with them about their policy.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

thenick_ttu

Post by thenick_ttu »

Dirthawking wrote:why is it not posted on the ammo case?
The few Wal-Marts that I frequent to look for ammo, DO have it posted on their ammo case. It says some thing along the lines of "Ammunition will only be sold from 8am to 6pm." I don't believe those are the exact hours it says, but it is something to that effect.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

If Sam Walton were alive he'd fire those guys.

If a customer shows up wanting something, it better be in stock, and if the customer has the money, you'd better get it. Walton spent way too much money to get a customer to come to the store to not sell them something that was on the shelf, and it had better be on the shelf if they advertized having it.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

jmra

Post by jmra »

thenick_ttu wrote:
Dirthawking wrote:why is it not posted on the ammo case?
The few Wal-Marts that I frequent to look for ammo, DO have it posted on their ammo case. It says some thing along the lines of "Ammunition will only be sold from 8am to 6pm." I don't believe those are the exact hours it says, but it is something to that effect.
Everyone I've been to the cutoff is 10:00pm.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

tiviti

Post by tiviti »

jmra wrote: Everyone I've been to the cutoff is 10:00pm.
Is that when they close down the register? I remember I have gone to Walmart very late at night (after work) to get ammo, and the area was deserted and locked up. I did manage to track someone down who had the key, and they did open the case for me but said that they would have to walk the ammo with me to the front since the register was already closed. I don't remember if this was at 9pm or 10pm. Did get a shocked 'You mean people can just come in and buy all that ammo this late at night?!?' comment from the lady behind me in line (I was only buying a 50 round box of 9mm WWB).

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

JALLEN wrote:If Sam Walton were alive he'd fire those guys.

If a customer shows up wanting something, it better be in stock, and if the customer has the money, you'd better get it. Walton spent way too much money to get a customer to come to the store to not sell them something that was on the shelf, and it had better be on the shelf if they advertized having it.
Yes, and I remember Sam reopening a garment shop in Oklahoma as a shirt supplier for WM. Not that way now.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

jmra

Post by jmra »

tiviti wrote:
jmra wrote: Everyone I've been to the cutoff is 10:00pm.
Is that when they close down the register? I remember I have gone to Walmart very late at night (after work) to get ammo, and the area was deserted and locked up. I did manage to track someone down who had the key, and they did open the case for me but said that they would have to walk the ammo with me to the front since the register was already closed. I don't remember if this was at 9pm or 10pm. Did get a shocked 'You mean people can just come in and buy all that ammo this late at night?!?' comment from the lady behind me in line (I was only buying a 50 round box of 9mm WWB).
No, this is strictly an ammo policy that has been in effect for at least the last year. During the first shortage you could buy 6 boxes at 11:59pm and 6 more at 12:01am. Can't do that anymore.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Not gonna say that Walmart is perfect but if it wasn't for them selling ammo at near pre-panic prices many of us wouldn't be shooting at all.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”