Links for gun safe info in the works

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ScubaSigGuy
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Links for gun safe info in the works

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

New link added for a very informative website on buying gun safes.

lawrnk
Posts in topic: 4

Post by lawrnk »

Nothing in the academy or bass pro circular. Trying to find a decent one under 350.00 since I am about to be "in-between" jobs.
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

lrb111
Posts in topic: 1

Post by lrb111 »

I forgot to even post here. Harbor Freight has one on sale through the 11th. Normally $299, now $249. I think it's 14 long guns. The metal is about twice as thick as Academy's low end safes.
iirc, it was this one.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=95824
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

lrb111 wrote:I forgot to even post here. Harbor Freight has one on sale through the 11th. Normally $299, now $249. I think it's 14 long guns. The metal is about twice as thick as Academy's low end safes.
iirc, it was this one.

Awesome find! Do you know where I can get it for 249? It shows 299 at that link

ETA: I did not know they had retail stores. They have several TX locations, including Houston. Thanks!
Last edited by lawrnk on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

lawrnk

Re:

Post by lawrnk »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
NcongruNt wrote:
BrassMonkey wrote:I am looking for one with a retinal scanner. Anyone know of one?
I'm trying to figure out whether to laugh, or if you're serious. :???:

:smilelol5:
I'm just glad he made sure it was "retinal" with the "tin" in the middle...

(I'm going to keep track of how many people get this one! :lol: )

If brass monkey wants a fingerprint scanner one

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=96381
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

Rugrash

Post by Rugrash »

Found a really nice site on choosing a safe.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

Before I bought my first house, I lived in townhomes and duplexes over the years and never wanted a safe that was really difficult to deal with whenever my lease ran out. I researched this brand for a while and liked the fact that it was easier to move from one rented place to another as it is 6 modular pieces and can be assembled and disassembled at will. They claim its just as sturdy as a welded safe. At the time of my research, they were a bit more than a traditional safe, but this may fill a certain niche of gun owners.

http://www.zanottiarmor.com/

When I did buy my house, I bought a Browning Bronze from Carter's Country here in Houston for abput $850 I think. It's been great, but I'm out of space and need another one. It was the only safe that actually fit in my closet (had to take the door off to get thru the door). Good thread though and I look forward to seeing more options.

-Rug

lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

lawrnk wrote:
lrb111 wrote:I forgot to even post here. Harbor Freight has one on sale through the 11th. Normally $299, now $249. I think it's 14 long guns. The metal is about twice as thick as Academy's low end safes.
iirc, it was this one.

Awesome find! Do you know where I can get it for 249? It shows 299 at that link

ETA: I did not know they had retail stores. They have several TX locations, including Houston. Thanks!
!

I bought this safe, and love it. What a bargain. It is narrow, so needs substantial weighting (ammo works fine or that) but it is a great safe. Thanks!
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

At the HGCA show a few weeks ago, Lone Star had some nice looking safes for $599.

They were at the Conroe show and I asked if they still had them at that price.

I was told that an associate of theirs had a warehouse of them.

You can get either 60x30 or 60x36 for that price, 12 active locking bolts, 1200 def/30 min fire protection, weight 500-600#.

They are made in China and I don't know who makes the lock assembly.

I can't speak firsthand for the quality, but it appears to be way above the Cannons and such sold by Academy.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

nedmoore

Post by nedmoore »

I bought a Heritage safe at lone star safe two or three weeks ago. Very happy with it. I live close to them and they delivered it the same day. Even had the wife's blessings! She liked the idea that we could keep documents in there too. Now I have to find our marriage license!

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 17

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I just ordered an American Security BF6636 safe. Looks to be a pretty good safe for the money.

LCplMustafa

Post by LCplMustafa »

I was working I contracting gig out in Iraq last year, and our office had a Big old Red Head Gunsafe in it, with and electronic lock. One of the Marines I was training had come in from out of town, and had a rifle and a pistol. In our area, he only needed one or the other, as there was almost zero threat of being engaged with small arms, so we locked his M16A4 up in our redhead gun safe. Well, a couple days later, we needed to get some paperwork out of the same, so we entered our combo, and were surprised to get an unfamiliar beep. We tried the combo over and over again. Waited a couple hours, and then a full day, hoping we'd entered it wrong too many times and that we just needed to give it time to reset. We started frantically sending e-mails to the manufacturer, and our rep stateside who purchased it, but due to the time difference and the fact that most people stateside don't work weekends (slackers), it was taking too long to get an answer to what was going on. The day the Marine needed to head back to where he belonged we decided we had to bring out the big guns. A couple cartons of smokes went to the engineers who the brought over some sort of plasma cutting torch. As we were struggling to move the Safe outside of our office, and email arrived, telling us that all we had to do was push the electronic combination pad up, pull it off, and replace the batteries. When you removed the batteries of this specific safe, it caused the safe to revert to the default combo, and ta-da, we were able to rescue the rifle without setting it on fire.

The moral of the story is to make sure that you can't reset the combo on your safe simply by removing the batteries, if you want to keep anyone besides the kids out.

I'm not sure if this was a feature of all safes, or just the particular series we had, or if the bug was fixed in the later models.
It is better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. But if you eat enough ice cream, you might have to get 12 guys to carry you.

JasonH

Post by JasonH »

LCplMustafa wrote:I was working I contracting gig out in Iraq last year, and our office had a Big old Red Head Gunsafe in it, with and electronic lock. One of the Marines I was training had come in from out of town, and had a rifle and a pistol. In our area, he only needed one or the other, as there was almost zero threat of being engaged with small arms, so we locked his M16A4 up in our redhead gun safe. Well, a couple days later, we needed to get some paperwork out of the same, so we entered our combo, and were surprised to get an unfamiliar beep. We tried the combo over and over again. Waited a couple hours, and then a full day, hoping we'd entered it wrong too many times and that we just needed to give it time to reset. We started frantically sending e-mails to the manufacturer, and our rep stateside who purchased it, but due to the time difference and the fact that most people stateside don't work weekends (slackers), it was taking too long to get an answer to what was going on. The day the Marine needed to head back to where he belonged we decided we had to bring out the big guns. A couple cartons of smokes went to the engineers who the brought over some sort of plasma cutting torch. As we were struggling to move the Safe outside of our office, and email arrived, telling us that all we had to do was push the electronic combination pad up, pull it off, and replace the batteries. When you removed the batteries of this specific safe, it caused the safe to revert to the default combo, and ta-da, we were able to rescue the rifle without setting it on fire.

The moral of the story is to make sure that you can't reset the combo on your safe simply by removing the batteries, if you want to keep anyone besides the kids out.

I'm not sure if this was a feature of all safes, or just the particular series we had, or if the bug was fixed in the later models.
I have a Redhead safe. While you can push the electronic pad up and remove the battery there is an external backup battery inside of the safe that prevents this from resetting it. To undo the internal battery the safe must be open.

Sounds like your situation was a pretty unusual or odd one. That would be a glaring defect is a safe could be breached just by removing a battery!

03Lightningrocks

Does anyone have an opinion on the safety factors involved in storing ammo in your gun safe? I was a bit concerned with the fire issue more than anything. My safe is rated at 1275 degrees for 90 minutes. It will supposedly stay below 350 degrees for that amount of time. Can a round cook off at 350 degrees?

This seems on topic to the safe thread. If it's not....sorry bout that. Maybe a mod can move it.

kicker

Post by kicker »

http://www.securityproducts1.com/

They are manufactured right here in Texas near Waco. Very nice safes, I have the gunslinger with electronic lock model.

03Lightningrocks

kicker wrote:http://www.securityproducts1.com/

They are manufactured right here in Texas near Waco. Very nice safes, I have the gunslinger with electronic lock model.

Be careful with these. I have a friend who's uncle lost about 15K in guns out of one of the styles with two key locking bolts. They only have two locking points and can be pried open using two crow bars. The police figured it took the thieves about 10 minutes to get his opened. For what these safes cost, you can get a whole lot better safes.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”