Holster wear. Any suggestions?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Moby
Posts in topic: 1

Holster wear. Any suggestions?

Post by Moby »

I carry a Glock 30 in a Desantis IWB holster. I'm getting holster wear. Anyone know of a coating that will resist wear. My firearm looks ugly..

Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Holster wear. Any suggestions?

Post by Excaliber »

It's hard to tell from the photo if that is real holster wear (removal of finish from friction) or not.

The Glock Tennifer coating is extremely hard, so I suspect it is not.

Try coating the slide with a lubricant that gets absorbed into the finish (e.g. Froglube). You may find that an occasional touchup with just the lube fixes the problem.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

I never worry about holster wear for an everyday carry gun. I look at it as simply being a tool.

I have a friend who has responded to similar forum posts about wear on his EDC with the notion that someone should simply take their empty gun, kick it around the driveway for a few minutes to scratch it up, and then quit worrying and wear that sidearm.

I won't go that far, as I see no point in deliberately scratching any of my tools. But I don't worry about honest tool wear.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

JMPHO, but holster wear is a sign of love. I look at it this way. My sidearm is to be concealed and a tool to be ready to hopefully NEVER have to use. Looks aren't so important, function is the thing. I had to get mine ceracoated because of rusting - apparently my sweat is not "lady-like". It is holding up well, but after about 18 mos of nearly daily wear it is showing some holster wear, but NO rusting.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

Jumping Frog wrote:I have a friend who has responded to similar forum posts about wear on his EDC with the notion that someone should simply take their empty gun, kick it around the driveway for a few minutes to scratch it up, and then quit worrying and wear that sidearm.
Same reason I like to buy used cars, appliances from the scratch 'n' dent outlet, etc. If they're already scratched I can just shrug and say "oh well" if something else happens, but I'd feel bad being the first one to put a scratch in it myself.

XGC Radioactive

Post by XGC Radioactive »

sharpies!
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
Ted Nugent

68Charger

Post by 68Charger »

I agree about the above comments about holster wear. Holster wear is nothing more than a loved gun. I would only tend to it if it REALLY, REALLY, REALLY gets out of hand. Glocks are meant to be thrown around. Duty guns, if you will. Not like a show horse such as a 1911. Quit worrying and carry that beautiful sidearm with pride!
We don't need no stinking badges!

nyj

Post by nyj »

That is pretty heavy wear. How long have you carried it? I've seen 10+ year old police Glocks in better shape.

fyi glock will refinish the slide, IIRC.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

FWIW -

True holster wear in Glocks usually shows up at the edges of the front of the slide and along the length of the corner where the side of the slide meets the top. Holster wear on the slide flats would be most unusual from the many very heavily used police guns I've seen.

I suspect the lining of the OP's holster is drawing lubricant from the surface of the slide where it makes steady contact and the lack of lubrication in that area is causing a minor color difference. You can see this effect by using a degreasing agent like Gunscrubber on a part of the slide. It will turn grey instead of black in the degreased area.

If that is the case with the gun in question, recoating it with a good lubricant and wiping off the excess will erase the discoloration and restore a uniform appearance.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Panda

Post by Panda »

I like the lubrication suggestion but I also like the don't worry be happy suggestion. If I worried about every scratch, ding or bird dropping on my daily driver, my blood pressure would double. :mrgreen:

RAM4171
Location: On a dead end dirt road in the deep dark woods of East TEXAS

Post by RAM4171 »

Happiness is a worn gun :coolgleamA:
Μολὼν λαβέ
Jesus was not politically correct, therefore I refuse to be
To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic-TN

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

glock27 wrote:Its a glock they are ugly anyway...

On a real note it gives the gun personality
:iagree:

They only shoot good, not look good.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

A periodic wipe down with a silicone cloth does wonders.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

As other posters have states, what's apparent in the picture is not holster wear, but discoloration of some sort.

And that being said, holster wear, or wear in general, isn't a bad thing on a carry firearm. Both my duty weapon and my main off-duty CHL weapon have significant "silvering" around the slide and muzzle, where the finish has literally worn down to bare metal. I'm worried about neither. :biggrinjester: These are tools, not works of art.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”