Browning Silver Hunter Shotgun

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
i8godzilla
Posts in topic: 3

Browning Silver Hunter Shotgun

Post by i8godzilla »

Does anyone have any experience with this shotgun? I have read quite a bit and it appears to be a quality shotgun. I have not had an opportunity to actually fire one. However, based on the one I have actually touched and looked over, the fit and finish appear to be the expected quality of a Browning.

With dove season starting Sunday, I thought it was time to give my ~35+ year old Mossberg 500 a little rest. I would guess the ole 500 has over 10K shells through it and still serves me well. However, it is a 20 ga. and I thought now is the time to play with the 'big boys and get a 12 ga.

Below is a link to some of the reviews I have read.

http://www.browningowners.com/viewtopic ... 588&p=3356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any constructive comments are very appreciated.

No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Browning Silver Hunter Shotgun

Post by The Annoyed Man »

i8godzilla wrote:Any constructive comments are very appreciated.
Sho' is pretty! Another way to look at the question is, "does Browning ever make junk?" I have never owned one, but I believe their reputation for quality is arrived at honestly. The only real issue is whether or not this gun is in your price range. But while you're looking at autoloaders, you might want to also check out the Benelli M2. Cabelas has them in the $1200 to $1300 range. It looks like they carry the Browning Silver shotguns for roughly the same price range. Like I said, I have no experience with the Brownings, but I've handled the Benelli, and there is no slicker action on a semiauto shotgun than Benellis. It is very impressive.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

GlockDude26
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GlockDude26 »

i don't know if it'll help but my first shotgun my dad bought me was a browning gold hunter 20 guage blued and wood and it has shot more birds and clays than any of my other shotguns combined and has been my favorite shotgun. ( i only bought a cheap 870 to take to the saltwater ) usually people revear gold over silver so take that into consideration too...
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

Can't say about the browning but my brother just bought a Beretta A300 outlander and for under $700 it is a great buy.

AggieLCP

Post by AggieLCP »

+1 for Browning quality, and that is a very nice looking gun.

You say you have held one. How does it fit you? How does it feel when you swing it? Don't overlook the fact that gun "fit" is very important with a shotgun. Your eyes are the sights.

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

Browning makes good quality shotgun.

I own a Remington 11-87 (1992 Model) and a Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 (2010 Model). I love my Benelli and use it for ducks, geese, and dove.

I like shooting utility guns for hunting and have never pursued getting a "pretty gun" for hunting.

My advice is similar to others, if it fits and you like it, you can't go wrong with a Browning...

Good Luck...
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

Topic author
i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

Thanks for the comments folks! I'll post some pictures of whatever I decide to get.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Oh boy, Dove season is here already isn't it? I've completely lost track of the time. :shock:

The Silver Hunter is on my short list for an auto field gun when I finally get one. I've read a lot of good things about it.
Psalm 91:2

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

Be creatively and practically Anachronistic! Find a nice used Browning BSS or one of the other iterations of Miroku double guns. There are other choices that are comparable in American field doubles that aren't pricy. The first time you swing a nicely balanced 6.5 lb. double you'll be hooked. Everything else will feel like you're balancing a pig on the end of the barrel.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Dadtodabone wrote:Be creatively and practically Anachronistic! Find a nice used Browning BSS or one of the other iterations of Miroku double guns. There are other choices that are comparable in American field doubles that aren't pricy. The first time you swing a nicely balanced 6.5 lb. double you'll be hooked. Everything else will feel like you're balancing a pig on the end of the barrel.
I don't have 6.5 lb. SBS, but I do have a 32" barreled competition O/U that has GOT to weigh 8 or 9 lb. at least. I've taken it dove hunting but mostly used it for skeet. It's a pretty good skeet gun.....better than I am a skeet shooter.....but now I want an autoloader for hunting. Plus, when I break open my O/U, it really shucks the spent shells out about 900 yards, and an autoloader has got to make it easier to police up my spent hulls on somebody else's property.
:mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

I picked one up Thursday. However, my daughter decided to go into labor and shooting it will have to wait.

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Dadtodabone wrote:Be creatively and practically Anachronistic! Find a nice used Browning BSS or one of the other iterations of Miroku double guns. There are other choices that are comparable in American field doubles that aren't pricy. The first time you swing a nicely balanced 6.5 lb. double you'll be hooked. Everything else will feel like you're balancing a pig on the end of the barrel.
I don't have 6.5 lb. SBS, but I do have a 32" barreled competition O/U that has GOT to weigh 8 or 9 lb. at least. I've taken it dove hunting but mostly used it for skeet. It's a pretty good skeet gun.....better than I am a skeet shooter.....but now I want an autoloader for hunting. Plus, when I break open my O/U, it really shucks the spent shells out about 900 yards, and an autoloader has got to make it easier to police up my spent hulls on somebody else's property.
:mrgreen:
My current field guns are box lock non-ejectors(AYA No. 3 and WW Greener E18). Break the gun, pluck out the hulls, drop them in the pouch, load two more. I do shoot an Arrizaballaga side lock ejector when my arthritis is bad. Not due to the ejectors, it's the only gun with assisted opening I own currently, that my wife will let me carry in the field.
Not really, "rlol"
Though I did notice she started to develop sever facial ticks whenever the BIL showed up on Saturday mornings wanting to bust some clays, or my son and nephew start talking about doves or ducks. I was "shooting the barrel walls out" of a H&H "Dominion" at the time.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”