Is it legal?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
JALLEN
Posts in topic: 2

Is it legal?

Post by JALLEN »

Some years ago, a buddy in San Diego convinced me to acquire a Street Wise 1,000,000 volt "Small Fry" mini stun gun, I suppose on the theory that it's better than nothing."

I just recovered it in the mounds of "stuff" we are unpacking after the move.

Apart from the question of whether they are efficacious, are these devices legal to possess or carry in Texas?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is it legal?

Post by baldeagle »

This is the only mention in Texas law (that I could find) of stun guns:
Sec. 38.14. TAKING OR ATTEMPTING TO TAKE WEAPON FROM PEACE OFFICER, FEDERAL SPECIAL INVESTIGATOR, EMPLOYEE OR OFFICIAL OF CORRECTIONAL FACILITY, PAROLE OFFICER, COMMUNITY SUPERVISION AND CORRECTIONS DEPARTMENT OFFICER, OR COMMISSIONED SECURITY OFFICER. (a) In this section:

(1) "Firearm" has the meanings assigned by Section 46.01.

(2) " Stun gun " means a device designed to propel darts or other projectiles attached to wires that, on contact, will deliver an electrical pulse capable of incapacitating a person.

(3) "Commissioned security officer" has the meaning assigned by Section 1702.002(5), Occupations Code.

(b) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally or knowingly and with force takes or attempts to take from a peace officer, federal special investigator, employee or official of a correctional facility, parole officer, community supervision and corrections department officer, or commissioned security officer the officer's, investigator's, employee's, or official's firearm, nightstick, stun gun, or personal protection chemical dispensing device with the intention of harming the officer, investigator, employee, or official or a third person.
So it appears it's legal to have one so long as you didn't try to take it from a LEO.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

mewalke

Post by mewalke »

baldeagle wrote:This is the only mention in Texas law (that I could find) of stun guns:
Sec. 38.14. TAKING OR ATTEMPTING TO TAKE WEAPON FROM PEACE OFFICER, FEDERAL SPECIAL INVESTIGATOR, EMPLOYEE OR OFFICIAL OF CORRECTIONAL FACILITY, PAROLE OFFICER, COMMUNITY SUPERVISION AND CORRECTIONS DEPARTMENT OFFICER, OR COMMISSIONED SECURITY OFFICER. (a) In this section:

(1) "Firearm" has the meanings assigned by Section 46.01.

(2) " Stun gun " means a device designed to propel darts or other projectiles attached to wires that, on contact, will deliver an electrical pulse capable of incapacitating a person.

(3) "Commissioned security officer" has the meaning assigned by Section 1702.002(5), Occupations Code.

(b) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally or knowingly and with force takes or attempts to take from a peace officer, federal special investigator, employee or official of a correctional facility, parole officer, community supervision and corrections department officer, or commissioned security officer the officer's, investigator's, employee's, or official's firearm, nightstick, stun gun, or personal protection chemical dispensing device with the intention of harming the officer, investigator, employee, or official or a third person.
So it appears it's legal to have one so long as you didn't try to take it from a LEO.
:iagree: I started posting the same thing but baldeagle beat me to it.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

JALLEN,

Does it shoot a projectile or do you have to touch bare bg bare skin with it in your hand?

(I hope that's clear...?)

Thanks

Topic author
JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Abraham wrote:JALLEN,

Does it shoot a projectile or do you have to touch bare bg bare skin with it in your hand?

Thanks
No projectiles. If it is armed, and you push the button, it throws a wicked sounding arc between the two metal tongs. I'm not sure you need bare skin but it would have to be in contact with the body somehow. I doubt, but do not know, if it would work through a thick coat, say or but it might through merely a thin shirt, etc.

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by JALLEN on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

AEA

Post by AEA »

I would spend the money on a backup gun.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

We used those in the jails. You should zap yourself with it. Once you get over the first hit which is more a surprise then anything else you can then bet people beers that you will do it again..not that I have ever done that. :cheers2:

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

JALLEN wrote:
Abraham wrote:JALLEN,

Thanks
No projectiles. If it is armed, and you push the button, it throws a wicked sounding arc between the two metal tongs. I'm not sure you need bare skin but it would have to be in contact with the body somehow. I doubt, but do not know, if it would work through a thick coat, say or but it might through merely a thin shirt, etc.
When I lived in California, I had a similar unit, but it was powered by a 9V battery, like those used in a smoke detector.

JALLEN is correct about the "wicked sounding [and looking] arc." Just the sight and sound of this unit would scare off most people who are either sane or sober.

I tested it on myself and it worked through denim pants and not so much through a leather jacket.

The shock is not like a taser, which can incapacitate a person. Is not a pleasant feeling, but not so much that I didn't try it on myself more than once.

If held on the skin too long, it will create a burn.

IMO, legal in Texas, as they are [were] in California.
Last edited by WildBill on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

TxLobo wrote:Since you are now in Texas... if you want to upgrade a bit..

Academy sells Tasers...

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/taser-c ... er&Ntk=All" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From the Academy website:
- Attention: All Tasers are shipped in an inactivated state. The unit cannot be activated until you have successfully completed a background check.
- The background check fee is $9.95 and is paid directly to TASER International and is not included in the purchase price of the unit.
- Once the background check is completed, you will be issued the activation code unique to your unit's serial number.
- Once you have entered the activation code, your unit will be activated. Please note - If you fail the background check, you will not be given an activation code for your unit.
What? $9.95 background check by TASER International? What authority are they to check someone's background?
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

tomtexan wrote:

Academy sells Tasers...

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/taser-c ... er&Ntk=All" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Attention: All Tasers are shipped in an inactivated state. The unit cannot be activated until you have successfully completed a background check.
- The background check fee is $9.95 and is paid directly to TASER International and is not included in the purchase price of the unit.
- Once the background check is completed, you will be issued the activation code unique to your unit's serial number.
- Once you have entered the activation code, your unit will be activated. Please note - If you fail the background check, you will not be given an activation code for your unit.
What? $9.95 background check by TASER International? What authority are they to check someone's background?
Maybe their corporate attorney? ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

WildBill wrote:
tomtexan wrote:

Academy sells Tasers...

:iagree: just what I was thinking...

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

texanjoker wrote:
WildBill wrote:
tomtexan wrote:

Academy sells Tasers...

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

TxLobo wrote:
tomtexan wrote:
texanjoker wrote:
WildBill wrote:
tomtexan wrote:

Academy sells Tasers...

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense.

I was hoping someone else saw that on their screen besides me.. Only "Taser Class" I've heard of was LEO only.. Background check? do they want to make sure you are a well grounded person?
They don't want anyone with a short. :cool:
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”