Sig 938 rental - not

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Kenk
Posts in topic: 13

Sig 938 rental - not

Post by Kenk »

I've been interested in the Sig 938. I've been able to handle some at a number of gun stores and it fits my hand and racking the slide is easy enough for my old hands. No one in the Austin area has one available as a rental. I'm really reluctant to buy a gun that I haven't tried firing....especially given the price of a new 938.

Does anyone know of a range that has a 938 rental? Or is there anyone in the Austin area with a 938 they would be kind enough to let me try?

Thanks,
Ken

Topic author
Kenk

Re: Sig 938 rental - not

Post by Kenk »

No 938 shooters around Austin????

VMI77
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VMI77 »

I have the rubber grip version and love it. I think it does require a little more practice to shoot accurately than a full size.....it took me three or four mags before I adjusted to the trigger and the smaller size and started getting satisfactory groups, but once I did, I had no problem hitting a 10" steel gong at 30 yards. I'd let you try it, but unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how one looks at it), I don't live near Austin.

BTW, extra mags are about $45. I ordered directly from Sig, but didn't find any cheaper alternatives. Shipping was prompt.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

GlockDude26
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GlockDude26 »

if you're ever in the NW Hou area i'd be glad to let you try mine at our local range. They really are a great gun for concealed carry. you will not find a smaller, lighter, well made 9mm in a single stack for it's round capacity. it's round capacity to me is the only hindering factor at 6+1 flush mag or 7+1 ext mag. Nowadays we're seeing more crime evolving from a single armed attacker to multiple attackers and i would feel better having more rounds of the same caliber vs less. the p938 is a versatile little gun though and can be carried in pocket, wallet holster, on your hip, ankle, shoulder rig although i'm not a fan of any shoulder rigs personally. IMO it's probably the best BUG you can get if you remember that it is a mini-1911 and train yourself to click that safety off everytime you grab it.
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

Ultra_Solo_Sig_0904 wrote:if you're ever in the NW Hou area i'd be glad to let you try mine at our local range. They really are a great gun for concealed carry. you will not find a smaller, lighter, well made 9mm in a single stack for it's round capacity. it's round capacity to me is the only hindering factor at 6+1 flush mag or 7+1 ext mag. Nowadays we're seeing more crime evolving from a single armed attacker to multiple attackers and i would feel better having more rounds of the same caliber vs less. the p938 is a versatile little gun though and can be carried in pocket, wallet holster, on your hip, ankle, shoulder rig although i'm not a fan of any shoulder rigs personally. IMO it's probably the best BUG you can get if you remember that it is a mini-1911 and train yourself to click that safety off everytime you grab it.
:iagree:

I'm surprised ranges around Austin don't have a rental. If you ever get to the Dallas area we'll make a range trip. Since I bought mine, I no longer have a "carry gun rotation". Just a carry method rotation depending on my manner of dress, pocket, IWB, or OWB.
They aren't cheap, but a great value.

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

I assume you checked with Red's? I'll be at their north location tomorrow and can ask, if you haven't already. If I had one I'd be happy to let you try it, but alas, we're still early in the gun ownership thing and haven't had the chance to form a real collection. Hope you find one!

Topic author
Kenk

Post by Kenk »

Yes I did check with Reds. None in their rental fleet.

My main concern (at my age and hand strength) is racking (seems OK with the 938's I've fondled), recoil (although I doubt that it's more than my 642), and function. Function because I gave up on a Kahr CM9 because I believe my lack of hand strength caused some (not many) failures, any being too many for a CCW.

The Sig is pretty expensive for a pocket pistol so I don't want to buy one and find that it doesn't work for me.

Ken

Topic author
Kenk

Post by Kenk »

Ultra_Solo_Sig_0904 wrote:if you're ever in the NW Hou area i'd be glad to let you try mine at our local range. They really are a great gun for concealed carry. you will not find a smaller, lighter, well made 9mm in a single stack for it's round capacity. it's round capacity to me is the only hindering factor at 6+1 flush mag or 7+1 ext mag. Nowadays we're seeing more crime evolving from a single armed attacker to multiple attackers and i would feel better having more rounds of the same caliber vs less. the p938 is a versatile little gun though and can be carried in pocket, wallet holster, on your hip, ankle, shoulder rig although i'm not a fan of any shoulder rigs personally. IMO it's probably the best BUG you can get if you remember that it is a mini-1911 and train yourself to click that safety off everytime you grab it.
Thanks for your offer. If I get close to Houston, I'll contact you.

The magazine capacity is kinda small....but not as small as my 642 (5 rounds) :-)

Ken

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Kenk wrote:Yes I did check with Reds. None in their rental fleet.

My main concern (at my age and hand strength) is racking (seems OK with the 938's I've fondled), recoil (although I doubt that it's more than my 642), and function. Function because I gave up on a Kahr CM9 because I believe my lack of hand strength caused some (not many) failures, any being too many for a CCW.

The Sig is pretty expensive for a pocket pistol so I don't want to buy one and find that it doesn't work for me.

Ken
My perception is that recoil is less than a 642 (compared to another 938 I don't know if the rubber grip model yields less perceived recoil). Can't say that much about function because I don't have that many rounds through it. I don't find racking to be more difficult than on a full size semi-auto.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

OrangeAnimal

Post by OrangeAnimal »

You won't have trouble racking the slide but hanging on to it may be of some challenge. I already own the P238 and it can be a bit tricky to hang on to. I highly recommend the extended mags. Even if I limp wrist the gun it still fires just not accurately. Never a malfunction from my P238 and when I shot my buddies 938 it was very similar. Follow up shots take practice with the short sight radius (nothing new if already have shot anything with a similar distance between the sights) and the kick reduces the ability a step further.

I don't know your reasons for going for the 938 but after owning a 238 I know I won't ever sell it but I am in no rush to go out and get it's 9mm twin. I decided for many reasons to buy the XDS 9mm the recoil is light even considering it's size. It conceals easily.

Things that would give the 938 the upper hand would be as follows, not currently on recall, slightly shorter length, slightly shorter height (without the extended mags), better sights(if you get the sig light sight option).

XDS is awful nice and quite a bit cheaper. I still feel even with the recall that it's an outstanding gun accuracy is very good. I personally have had no issues in relation to the recall with mine. The slide is not super stiff to chamber a round and can be done easily. The grip texture is great and I can put a box of ammo thru mine and have no pain in my hand at all.

I have suffered some severe injury to my shooting hand spiral break in a metacarpal. It looks like one of the bones is shaped like a banana lol. I don't even have visable knuckle when I make a fist with that finger. Don't know if any of that helps but I can tell you that sitting here typing bothers it more than me going out to shoot.

Topic author
Kenk

Post by Kenk »

OrangeAnimal wrote:You won't have trouble racking the slide but hanging on to it may be of some challenge. I already own the P238 and it can be a bit tricky to hang on to. I highly recommend the extended mags. Even if I limp wrist the gun it still fires just not accurately. Never a malfunction from my P238 and when I shot my buddies 938 it was very similar. Follow up shots take practice with the short sight radius (nothing new if already have shot anything with a similar distance between the sights) and the kick reduces the ability a step further.

I don't know your reasons for going for the 938 but after owning a 238 I know I won't ever sell it but I am in no rush to go out and get it's 9mm twin. I decided for many reasons to buy the XDS 9mm the recoil is light even considering it's size. It conceals easily.
Thanks for your comments. The first thing that attracted me to the 938 was the ease of racking the slide and the way it fits into my hand. I gave up on the CM9 I had after 300 plus rounds because of my limp wristing caused failures. The 938 sight radius should be similar to the CM9 and my 642. I carry the 642 IWB (appendix position) or pants pocket, and I'd want the 938 to carry the same way. I'm leaning towards the 9mm over the .380, hence the 938.

Ken

Topic author
Kenk

Post by Kenk »

Kenk wrote:Yes I did check with Reds. None in their rental fleet.

Ken
Well I had checked with Reds North, but not South. I just called the South store and they DO have the 938 for rent !! Now I have to get down there to try it :-)

Ken

mewalke
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mewalke »

Let us know how you like it.

My personal (brief) experience is that the 938 is roughly equivalent to my CM9 in regards to the strength is takes to rack the slide. Another alternative is to go down to a .380. Sig's 238 is much easier to rack IMO, but you sacrifice caliber.

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

You mentioned "pocket pistol" My hubby cannot use my 238 as a pocket pistol as it is a bit bigger than his Bodyguard 380. The 938 is basically the same frame with a larger grip. That being said if you are using cargo or bigger pockets than dress or jean pockets it would likely work.

JMPHO, YMMV
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

OrangeAnimal

Post by OrangeAnimal »

Yeah I can't stuff my 238 in a pocket either. I figure it is best to wear a small holster with it. I have two to choose from depending on my mood. A Comp Tac Infidel or my D.M. Bullard Dual Carry. The Dual Carry is nice cause it's tuckable. The Comp Tac is nice cause it is thinner and less of it contacts my body.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”